[Subversion] Subversion Cheat Sheet 0.1

David Child

Jul 28, 2008, 10:17:02 AM7/28/08
to added-bytes-...@googlegroups.com
I've been working on the Subversion Cheat Sheet too, as you may have
noticed from the site's "In Progress" list, and that also is now ready
to be sent out for feedback. I've uploaded the first version to the
google group.

All feedback, suggestions and criticisms are welcome. This is where
I'm hoping the group approach will prove most useful, with more eyes
(and brains) to spot errors, suggest changes and additions, and
otherwise improve the quality of the cheat sheet.

You should be able to see it (but if not, let me know) at:

http://added-bytes-cheat-sheets.googlegroups.com/web/subversion_cheat_sheet-0.1.png

I've not solicited ideas for content for this, as I'd already started
working on a version of this cheat sheet before the group was set up.
However, that doesn't mean suggestions for changes to content are not
welcome - far from it.

I've focussed on the user side, rather than admin, and I've not
touched on svnlook, svnsync or repository hooks. I am thinking that
maybe a subversion administation cheat sheet might be a good addition.
Does anyone see a problem with the focus or have any thoughts on an
admin cheat sheet to go with this?

As with the Python preview, it's a PNG, for now (but will be a PDF too
as usual when it's released). I've also put a watermark on there as
there could still be mistakes on it at this point and I don't want
people thinking this is the final release, should it make it out of
the group.

Also, as with the Python sheet, I've gone with a simple version
numbering system so it's easier to see if you're looking at the latest
version released.

Dave

--
AddedBytes.com - Web Marketing and Development

decatech

Aug 6, 2008, 2:16:56 AM8/6/08
to Added Bytes Cheat Sheets
David,

The first version of the Subversion cheat sheet looks great so far. My
only suggestion is to possibly add a section on Merging, which is
quite confusing, even thru the GUI interface of TortoiseSVN, as I
always seem to specify it backwards from what Subversion wants.

Thanks for your efforts - they are appreciated.

Alan

On Jul 28, 8:17 am, "David Child" <d...@addedbytes.com> wrote:
> I've been working on the Subversion Cheat Sheet too, as you may have
> noticed from the site's "In Progress" list, and that also is now ready
> to be sent out for feedback. I've uploaded the first version to the
> google group.
>
> All feedback, suggestions and criticisms are welcome. This is where
> I'm hoping the group approach will prove most useful, with more eyes
> (and brains) to spot errors, suggest changes and additions, and
> otherwise improve the quality of the cheat sheet.
>
> You should be able to see it (but if not, let me know) at:
>
> http://added-bytes-cheat-sheets.googlegroups.com/web/subversion_cheat...

David Child

Aug 6, 2008, 4:52:19 AM8/6/08
to added-bytes-...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, Alan - good idea.

I've made a few small changes to the SVN cheat sheet, and the new
version is on Google now:

http://added-bytes-cheat-sheets.googlegroups.com/web/subversion_cheat_sheet-0.2.png

I've added a merge section as suggested. I've also removed the
Recommended Repo layout bit - not, I think, something will need a
reference for more than once. I've also rearranged a few descriptions
to free up some space for the merge section, and so I could expand the
admin bits from just creation to include a couple of other basic admin
tasks. Otherwise, it's pretty much the same.

I was going to release the Python cheat sheet this week, but haven't
had time to replace the regex section. However, I think the SVN one is
pretty much there, so change of plan - SVN one to be released this
week instead, with Python in a couple of weeks.

Any more suggestions or feedback for the SVN cheat sheet? Now's the
time - aiming for a release tomorrow lunchtime :)

Dave

Zoramite

Aug 6, 2008, 9:13:18 AM8/6/08
to Added Bytes Cheat Sheets
The svn cheatsheet is looking good, the only thing i might add is some
of the built in properties such as svn:ignore and svn:externals and
the like, but not sure where you would put them... ;)

Thanks for all the hard work!

Zoramite

decatech

Aug 6, 2008, 2:38:48 PM8/6/08
to Added Bytes Cheat Sheets
David,

I think its in great shape for the initial "official" release
tomorrow. I like all of the changes in v2 - removing the one-time info
on repository layout makes sense with the "cheat sheet" approach, and
the Merge examples are great - makes me realize in this instance, it
is easier and less confusing to use the command-line approach than it
is to use the GUI based TortoiseSVN. :)

The initial release version of this will most likely go up on my
bulletin boards at both work and home tomorrow then! Thanks again,

Alan

On Aug 6, 2:52 am, "David Child" <d...@addedbytes.com> wrote:
> Thanks, Alan - good idea.
>
> I've made a few small changes to the SVN cheat sheet, and the new
> version is on Google now:
>
> http://added-bytes-cheat-sheets.googlegroups.com/web/subversion_cheat...

David Child

Aug 7, 2008, 8:58:00 AM8/7/08
to added-bytes-...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, both of you (and to the rest of the group)! The Subversion
Cheat Sheet is now live:

http://www.addedbytes.com/cheat-sheets/subversion-cheat-sheet/

Enjoy, and please do feel free to continue offering suggestions and
feedback here. It's not perfect, of course, and I'm always looking for
ways to improve these things.

Also, I've just realised that this is the first all-new cheat sheet in
over a year - the last properly new one was released July 2007, with
just the 4 with updated designs since then. I've done poorly this
year!

Dave