[Python] Python Cheat Sheet

David Child

Aug 1, 2008, 10:31:30 AM8/1/08
to added-bytes-...@googlegroups.com
The Python cheat sheet will, unless there's anything else to be
changed, be released next week, so if you have anything to add or
suggest, now's the time!

Latest version is still:
http://added-bytes-cheat-sheets.googlegroups.com/web/python_cheat_sheet-0.1.png

The one change that is going to be completed this weekend is that the
regex section will be replaced (given that regex has its own cheat
sheet).

Unfortunately, no feedback on the preview yet, which either means:

1) I got it right first time. Woohoo :)
2) No Python developers in the group.
3) My email saying that the preview was up didn't make it to anyone.
4) Google Groups is the wrong format for this sort of feedback system.

At the risk of this going unread or unanswered, anyone have any ideas
if there is a better way to get other people involved and solicit
feedback on cheat sheets before they're released?

Dave

--
AddedBytes.com - Web Marketing and Development

Levi Watts

Aug 1, 2008, 1:33:07 PM8/1/08
to Added Bytes Cheat Sheets
On three systems that I have worked on, each had methods of giving
feedback. I have yet to receive feedback on any of those. The first
had a user base in the few hundred, but the users didn't have reason
to use it often. The second and third had active users, but never
over twenty.

A comment system that appears on the same page as the subject being
talked about seem to have the best feedback potential. Those that
have a comment box right after the user has seen the subject.

In this case, that would be a page dedicated to stating what the sheet
is, an image of it w/ a download link for it, a comment box to follow,
and finally the feedback already received (mix and match as you
please).

I have knowledge in C#, VB, .net, and a few others. I have no
knowledge in Subversion or Python.

On 1 Aug, 08:31, "David Child" <d...@addedbytes.com> wrote:
> The Python cheat sheet will, unless there's anything else to be
> changed, be released next week, so if you have anything to add or
> suggest, now's the time!
>
> Latest version is still:http://added-bytes-cheat-sheets.googlegroups.com/web/python_cheat_she...

Dave Child

Aug 2, 2008, 4:50:16 PM8/2/08
to Added Bytes Cheat Sheets
Thanks for your feedback, Levi. From the sound of it, I get the
impression that there might be better options out there.

Saw getbackboard.com the other day - looks like it might be a good
alternative. Would be perfect if it allowed you to give a public URL
to a board, but sadly you have to invite everyone individually,
apparently - which seems a bit odd to me.

Dave

CharlyW

Aug 5, 2008, 7:20:16 PM8/5/08
to Added Bytes Cheat Sheets
Don't know if it's already too late, but I suppose feedback is always
appreciated.
At first, good idea to remove the regexp section, because it's almost
always the same. I hope you replace it with a list of list methods?!
And to the list of special class methods, if you mention some of the
mathematical operators like __eq__() you should maybe also mention
that there are a lot more if these (e.g. for shift and modulo etc).
The sys.argv box and the slicing is done very well, but I miss
something about string formatting.
Other things coming into my mind were some unicode decode functions
(because I'm German and I often have problems with umlauts) and time
functions, because without them, the strftime reference is more or
less useless.

All in all very well done, thanks for your great work, that's one more
cheat sheet in my collection.

Greets, Charly

David Child

Aug 6, 2008, 5:25:19 AM8/6/08
to added-bytes-...@googlegroups.com
Charly, it's never too late - even after a cheat sheet has been
released I'm happy to change it if someone has an improvement. :)

Great suggestions, too. List methods are a definite yes, and date and
time methods sound useful too. What information, precisely, would you
want to see added in a string formatting section?

The Python cheat sheet is going to be delayed a couple of weeks - I've
not had a chance to replace the regex section yet, so going to release
the SVN one ahead of Python.

Dave