[Chess] Suggested Content for a Chess Sheet

Levi Watts

Jul 11, 2008, 12:35:16 AM7/11/08
to Added Bytes Cheat Sheets
Though such a cheat sheet may not be made anytime soon, doesn't mean
information about it can't begin being gathered and discussed.

The basics:
The set up of the board to begin with, noting that the lower left
corner of each player is black, and lady (queen) gets her color.
How each piece moves w/ symbolised pieces and arrows demonstrating
these moves
Visual on castling
Visual on En Passant
a small image of each of the pieces from a commonly used set

Terms and definitions:
ranks - rows on a chess board, denoted by numbers 1 to 8, from White's
side to Black's side
files - columns on a chess board, denoted by the letters a to h,
White's left to right
check - The player's king is in danger of being captured.
checkmate - The player is unable to save their king (game ends in
loss).
stalemate (scholars mate) - When a player has no legal moves available
(game ends in draw).
promotions - A pawn advancing to their farthest rank is replaced by
the owning player's choice of Queen, Rook, Bishop or Knight.
En Passant - (including pronunciation?) A pawn moving two squares may
be captured by adjacent pawns as though it only moved only one square,
but only on the immediately following turn.
Castle - For an unmoved king to move two squares towards an unmoved
Rook, and the Rook being moved to the other side of the king. The
King may not be moving in, though, or out of check. There may be no
pieces between the King and Rook.

Other things that may fit on the sheet:
Elo System
Chess Titles
Move Notation

At some points, I keep getting tempted to mention items pertaining to
variations of Chess. Further consideration suggested to me that Chess
variations had enough information to justify its own sheet.

David Child

Jul 11, 2008, 3:47:58 AM7/11/08
to added-bytes-...@googlegroups.com
Levi,

Great idea, and nice content outline. I've added "Chess" as a request
to the list. This is definitely one I'd like to do - I play chess
(badly) and a cheat sheet would have been useful when I was learning,
all those years ago!

Dave

--
AddedBytes.com - Web Marketing and Development

Satyajit

Sep 1, 2008, 7:38:03 PM9/1/08
to Added Bytes Cheat Sheets
Hi,

I can assist you guys in creating that chess cheat sheet. I think I
can create all those pics easily.
Just let me know if you are interested.

I am a chess player and have done some programming work on it too.

Thanks
Satyajit