ADDA with rectangular dipoles

Maxim Yurkin

Feb 21, 2015, 3:26:39 AM2/21/15
to adda-a...@googlegroups.com
Dear ADDA users,

I would like to draw your attention to the new experimental feature of ADDA, namely the ability to use rectangular dipoles - volume elements with the shape of rectangular parallelepipeds (instead of the default cubes). If you plan to simulate very oblate or prolate particles, when the smallest dimension is much smaller than the wavelength (e.g. needles or sheets), then I encourage you to try it out. The acceleration can be up to 100 times.

The code is available at the branch
http://code.google.com/p/a-dda/source/browse/branches/rectangular_dipole
so you have to compile it yourself. The only documentation so far is the recently published paper:
Smunev DA, Chaumet PC, Yurkin MA. Rectangular dipoles in the discrete dipole approximation. J. Quant. Spectrosc. Radiat. Transfer 2015;156:67–79.
which apart from in-depth technical and theoretical discussion contains a brief description of how to use the new feature together with simulation examples.
PDF of the paper is freely available for 50 days through - http://authors.elsevier.com/a/1QZzd564S3Gm~ , and after that at
http://sites.google.com/site/yurkin/publications/papers/Smunev%20et%20al.%20-%202015%20-%20Rectangular%20dipoles%20in%20the%20discrete%20dipole%20approxi.pdf

If you have any questions, feel free to use adda-discuss group, or submit an issue to the issue tracker.

Best regards,
Maxim Yurkin.