DJs- 1/14/13

sian.barry

Jan 13, 2013, 2:09:05 PM1/13/13
to adaplangand...@googlegroups.com

http://www.cnn.com/2013/01/12/us/new-york-reddit-founder-suicide/index.html?hpt=hp_inthenews

In this heart-breaking CNN article, Michael Martinez reports on the recent suicide of Internet prodigy and activist Aaron Swartz. In my opinion, the article, at first, was extremely bland, and lacked any sort of compassion, only quoting the woeful words of his family members. They said in a statement, “’We're grateful for our time with him, to those who loved him and stood with him, and to all of those who continue his work for a better world.’" However, it is a reporter’s job to remain unbiased, only accounting for the facts, which Martinez unquestionably does. It was unveiled that the 26-year-old, who hung himself in his apartment in Brooklyn, had suffered from long term depression, which he spoke openly about on his blog. Another technology activist, Cory Doctorow, mentioned “’whatever problems Aaron was facing, killing himself didn't solve them. Whatever problems Aaron was facing, they will go unsolved forever.’" Undoubtedly, this was my favorite line of the article because it protruded the author’s covert message, enumerating the truth that suicide is not a solution to one’s problems, no matter how troublesome your life is. Although I thought this piece by Martinez lacked life and empathy, throughout, snippets of his feelings emerge in the quotations of others, which I found to be quite clever.

http://www.politicalcartoons.com/cartoon/279768b7-e1e3-41a4-93af-d90b1bb1274e.html

This is a current and comical political cartoon by Jeff Parker, of Florida Today and the Fort Meyers News-Press, which depicts a bug, labeled “The Flu”, knocking upon a house who is protected, not by Smith and Wesson, two gunmen, but by hand sanitizer. I found it quite funny considering there seems to be a viral epidemic of the flu running rampant during this winter. The flu bug definitely didn’t forget to knock on my door, that wasn’t protected by gunmen or hand sanitizer, so all but me and my mum experienced sickness as a result. With the amount of germs that were in my house over Christmas Break, hand sanitizer has become my new and beloved best friend on the go. However, when I’m at home, the good old soap and water does the trick of eradicating any evidence of “The Flu Bug”  in my presence.

Julie Daniels

Jan 13, 2013, 2:34:55 PM1/13/13
to adaplangand...@googlegroups.com

http://www.cnn.com/2013/01/10/health/flu-vaccine-effectiveness/index.html?hpt=hp_inthenews

“Flu Season” as it’s called is for most one of the scariest times of the year. Hundreds of people die every year from this sickness or it sometimes leaves people bed ridden for weeks at a time. One of the most popular defenses for this scary outbreak is the flu vaccine. When people get this they automatically assume that it will keep them 100% healthy throughout the winter. However, this little shot isn’t guaranteed to keep you flu-free. Moreover, it only works about 62% of the time. I was genuinely shocked when I heard this due to the reason that people depend on these for their livelihood only to find out that they might not even help that much. When looked at further, I found out that credible doctors do still recommend that one gets it because it can help make one less sick, even if they do get it. Also, it is better than not being protected at all. It is very possibly that the effectiveness of the vaccine can vary from person to person but no one is completely safe from it.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/01/11/world/europe/duchess-of-cambridge-first-portrait/index.html?hpt=hp_c2

The Duchess of Cambridge, better known as Catherine Middleton, recently had her first portrait done and it is.. well.. rather different. Most people in royalty positions like to display themselves with dignity and power. They often have grandiose pictures with them in crowns and uniforms seeming to tower over the every day person. However, Kate took a different approach. She wanted hers to look more natural and show who she really is. The royal Mother-to-be was painted by Award-winning artist Paul Emsely and it took three and a half months to complete. She can be seen in it with a sly half-smile and her hair in a natural down state. Also, she is not sporting and excessively impressive jewelry or clothes. I think this is a very brave thing of her to do because she is breaking away from the standard and attempting to change somethings in the castle for the better.

grace miller

Jan 13, 2013, 4:48:04 PM1/13/13
to adaplangand...@googlegroups.com

http://www.google.com/imgres?um=1&hl=en&tbo=d&biw=1440&bih=771&tbm=isch&tbnid=MWbA4WLqPA6uYM:&imgrefurl=http://www.truthdig.com/cartoon/item/war_and_peace_20130109/&docid=DnAzkePyhUdaVM&imgurl=http://www.truthdig.com/images/cartoonuploads/warandpeace_500.jpg&w=500&h=349&ei=FyXzUOrGJ4i50AHA9oHwCg&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=4&vpy=130&dur=1367&hovh=187&hovw=269&tx=113&ty=88&sig=103197554137126134874&page=1&tbnh=139&tbnw=200&start=0&ndsp=27&ved=1t:429,r:0,s:0,i:82

This cartoon, by Billy Day unlike many other political cartoons, is very blatant and straightforward making it very simple to understand yet I am unsure of whether it is sarcastic or not. This cartoon shows war as something much bigger, stronger, cooler and more expensive than the small depleted, weak concept of peace. I am unsure if this cartoon is actually promoting war or if it is supposed to be sarcastic in the sense that since we are constantly at war, this is how it is perceived or that since war is so much betters it is impossible for peace to trump the successes of war. Although I would like to think differently, this cartoon is accurate in what war is compared to peace in this time and age

http://www.cnn.com/video/?hpt=hp_c2#/video/us/2013/01/12/pkg-scotch-tape-artist-goes-viral.krqe

This video caught me by surprise because the picture that it showed for me to watch the video did not even look like a real person. For fun one day, photographer Wes Naman, started a trend that went viral. He calls it his scotch tape series. He decided to wrap scotch tape around the heads of his friends and take photos of them and the reaction to these photos was surprisingly large. He was even contacted by scotch, giving him a free supply of tape. I think these pictures surprised the public because, first, they are eye-catching in a disturbing way, also because an act so childish that so many people have attempted has been showcased as art.

brook...@gmail.com

Jan 13, 2013, 6:21:22 PM1/13/13
to adaplangand...@googlegroups.com
http://news.yahoo.com/6-arrested-rape-bus-passenger-india-093824392.html

In this article, Ashok Sharma writes of ANOTHER rape incident in India. Apparently (I was unaware of this) there have been several over the span of the past couple months. This specific incident revolved around a bus driver, driving a bus with only one female passenger heading to her tribe for the weekend on a Friday. The bus driver refused to stop at her respective bus stop and, instead, drove the bus to a secluded location where he met up with five of his fellow rapist. Throughout the night, they took turns terrorizing and raping the woman. The first half of the article is written with a regretful tone, and greatly disturbed me - rape is and always was and will be a horrible, horrible thing. The second half of the article talks of a sparked debate and determination in India to work together to prevent rape. Protesters have been making their moves towards a safer and more secure India, which I think is great for the country. I had no idea this was such a problem, but the determination that has been sparked throughout India is almost inspiring. This article is directed to those also working against rape.

This political cartoon is quite the obvious one. Given the recent and horrible tragedies throughout the country, this cartoon is easily analyzed. A machine gun with the head of congress as a part of the weapon automatically makes you think "Gun control." The speech bubbles only amplify the point. They speak of Columbine, Virginia Tech, and Sandy Hook inside the head of congress, and they speak of the need for some gun control in America to further prevent these incidents from happening. There is another speech bubble that explains that they will lose their jobs. This is a shot at congress ,as they will not add gun control in our country because they do not want to revoke any second amendment rights in our country.

Ben Skalla

Jan 13, 2013, 9:55:19 PM1/13/13
to adaplangand...@googlegroups.com
http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/01/10/16448792-tenant-facing-eviction-pulls-ak-47-on-landlord-police-say?lite

This article reports on a man in chicago who threatened his landlord with a deadly weapon.  The landlord had visited the mans home in order to discuss eviction, where the landlord had an AK-47 pointed at him.  This is another incident where someone is in possession of a dangerous gun who definitely cannot be trusted with it.  After the massacres in Aurora Colorado and in Newtown Connecticut, the debate on gun control has become a much bigger issue in politics.  This incident adds to the issue of dangerous assault weapons being in the hands of people.

After last Friday, the last school that had been closed after Superstorm Sandy re-opened.  This storm has caused many problems for people living along the east coast.  Although many areas recovered within a short period of time, other places are still feeling the affects of the storm.  This school had remained closed for months after the storm had hit.  Many people, including myself, thought that Sparta got hit hard, but this goes to show how devastating this storm was for many places.  I was upset about not having power for a week while many people were left without a house after this storm.

Dylan Panicucci

Jan 14, 2013, 12:51:17 PM1/14/13
to adaplangand...@googlegroups.com
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/01/11/joe-biden-violent-video-games_n_2458161.html

In light of the recent shooting in Newtown, Connecticut, Vice President Joe Biden met with top people of the video game industry.  It has been found that Adam Lanza was obsessed with violent video games, and had thousands of dollars worth of video games.  People believe there is a correlation between violent media and violent people.  Even the NRA criticizes these video games for creating a "callous" society that, "sows violence against its own people".  However, I do not think it is fair to blame violent video games or movies for what a small majority of people do.  I play war video games a lot, and I am not anymore violent or mentally unstable than I was before.  These people who commit these mass shootings are mentally ill people to begin with.  Plus, this country believes in freedom of speech so shouldn't companies be able to make things as violent as they want?  Also, as the article states, the video games do have ratings that say not for people under 17.  So as for the society of violence, do not blame the industry, blame the ignorant parents who buy these games for their kids.

This video shows a violent brawl that occurred at a bus stop in Pennsylvania.  Not only students but their parents are shown attacking each other.  Apparently 60 people were involved in the altercation, and multiple arrests have and will be made.  Also, this happened over two separate incidents.  Authorities are unsure as to what caused this whole thing.  It is just hard to imagine waiting for the school bus and having a huge fight break out.

rippeyrachel

Jan 14, 2013, 3:38:10 PM1/14/13
to adaplangand...@googlegroups.com

http://www.usnews.com/photos/londons-subway-marks-150th-anniversary

This slideshow depicts the past 150 years London has operated off a subway system. It is fascinating that we are able to document history through pictures and see how far we’ve truly come. The subway which has since been used by numbers of people has changed mass transportation within large urban cities forever. The world will continue to change and develop, and we can only wonder what the next 150 years will bring us.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/01/13/us/great-lakes-low-water/index.html?hpt=us_c1

The Great Lakes in the Midwest have often been overlooked by people who live in this area of the country, however the states surrounding have been affected big time by the decreasing in the water levels. This article written by Mike Pearson for CNN News has informed me of the current situation at hand in the Great Lakes. Specifically done to do just that, it is a very informative piece, shedding light on the  situations going on economically in the Midwest.

elizabeth.smith.24

Jan 14, 2013, 4:50:17 PM1/14/13
to adaplangand...@googlegroups.com
In this informational New York Times article, author Ray Rivera approaches an emotional and controversial topic regarding what to do with the Newtown Elementary school. Several parents within the community have expressed feelings that their children are scarred from the shooting and they cannot possibly make them go back, especially when they just got settled in a new school. Contrary, parents have also said that they want the school to open with possible renovations due to the memories that have been made in the school. Arguments have been made that other schools that have suffered similar tragedies, such as Columbine, have undergone renovations that memorialize the spot where the majority of victims were either killed or hurt while providing an area for others to remember the disasters. Personally, I believe that the school should remain, but be used for something other than as an elementary school. The two classrooms where the majority of victims were killed should undergo renovations, but it should not be expected for elementary students to return their. Those who attended schools such as Columbine are older and are capable of understanding the severity of such a disaster but I do not believe that it is fair to send young children back to a school where they have mostly been emotionally hurt.

katherine...@gmail.com

Jan 14, 2013, 4:53:02 PM1/14/13
to adaplangand...@googlegroups.com
http://www.politicalcartoons.com/cartoon/336dc022-af7a-4bd3-b861-c0f39a7e0b5c.html

This cartoon, created by Steve Greenberg, displays a list of supplies for school. All of them are typical things needed for educational purposes, except for the last thing on the list- kevlar (as in a kevlar, or bullet proof vest). This cartoon addresses the increased number of shootings in schools, and the dangers that children face each day. This piece has a few different sides. The first is a commentary on the fact that it's no longer considered overly safe for average kids to even attend school. due to the risk of being shot. This piece poses the question of if kids need such measures to keep them safe. Have schools really become such a target that kids should be in bulletproof vests? Should teachers now be armed? While this cartoon raises those questions, it also pokes fun at the fact that school violence is the number one thing on most people's minds today, and that sometimes, people go a little too far. It suggests that people over analyze and over assess the danger of going to school, and that the actual probability of the school their children attend being attacked is quite slim, so extraordinary measures like kevlar vests shouldn't be taken. This appears to be a fair cartoon because it does show both sides to this new argument, without being too complex for most people to comprehend.

This article begins with a dispassionate brief summary of the Concordia cruise ship disaster that occurred one year ago. The writer then goes on to interview Carolyn Brown, a Cruise Critic, about what changes have been made since this tragedy which killed 12 and left a giant ship off the coast of the island of Giglio, Italy. Ms. Brown noted in the interview that she has seen an increase in passenger attention for safety procedures, which to me, is absolutely wonderful. I've been on a handful of cruises, and I can say that I don't ever pay attention the the safety drills they put you through, because I'm always aching to go unpack and start enjoying myself! I'm sure that most others share my thoughts on this, but I'm glad that people are making the smart decision to now pay attention to procedures that could be the difference between life and death. The interview then goes on to explain the other safety measures now put into place, as well as encourages potential cruise passengers to not be fearful of setting sail, because cruise ships, for the most part, and very safe and secure. It is evident that Ms. Brown cares about her job, and the cruise ship industry, due to her answers encouraging everyone not to give up on this form of recreation.

elizabeth.smith.24

Jan 14, 2013, 4:58:05 PM1/14/13
to adaplangand...@googlegroups.com

new.gif

This political cartoon published in the New York Times expresses the artist's opinion on the recent debates on gun control. As they 'typical' gun owner (a larger, belligerent looking man) walks out of the gun shop that is preparing to close, a bystander tells the gun buyer that he was losing some manhood by dropping his gun. The cartoon displays the thought that the 2nd amendment is not all that manhood is about and that it is still possible to continue manly hobbies with more rigorous gun laws.

mdsaba1126

Jan 14, 2013, 5:18:02 PM1/14/13
to adaplangand...@googlegroups.com

http://ideas.time.com/2013/01/04/cartoons-of-the-week-december-29-january-4/

This political cartoon uses a play on words in order to emphasize the opinion that many Americans have about Congress. This use of syllipsis clearly emphasizes the artist’s opinion and the opinion that they want their readers to have. This cartoon is very relevant because of the current problem that our government has with coming to consensus. I found this cartoon to be funny but in an intelligent way, so that many may appreciate it.

http://newsfeed.time.com/2013/01/14/floridas-python-challenge-draws-800-snake-hunters/

This article about a python hunt in Florida was actually quite funny to me until I realized the damage that these animals were doing to the local ecosystems. At first I looked at it as another redneck festival that was all about guns but when I actually looked at it and saw that it was truly a great idea, which if is applied correctly, will reap the benefits by hopefully disposing of the non-indigenous creature from the Florida wetlands.  Throughout the article the author uses humorous comparisons such as when she says that pythons are the zombies of the wetlands and how to kill them you must decapitate them or blast their brains out. All in all I found this article as a both knowledgeable and humorous look at this Florida event.

Mikaela Litchfield

Jan 14, 2013, 5:24:28 PM1/14/13
to adaplangand...@googlegroups.com

http://news.yahoo.com/milky-way-galaxy-may-less-massive-thought-124521154.html

This article, written by Mike Wall of Yahoo news, describes how scientists may have discovered that the Milky Way galaxy is much less massive than previously thought. Even though it may only be half as large as scientists originally believed, it is still larger than what most people can comprehend. I like how the universe is always proving us wrong is some ways, I’m sure there were scientists that believed wholeheartedly that they had measured accurately the size of the Milky Way. Furthermore, scientists explained that beginning to have the ability to map out the mass distribution in the galaxy may lead to a better understand of the dark matter that takes up 80% of the universe.

http://www.theonion.com/articles/gorilla-sales-skyrocket-after-latest-gorilla-attac,30860/

This satirical article from The Onion titled, “Gorilla Sales Skyrocket After Latest Gorilla Attack”, talks about gorillas as a metaphor for guns. By doing this, since gun sales have gone through the roof since the Newtown shooting, it makes those consumers seem like idiots. Gun control is a very serious and controversial issue right now, but replacing the word “gun” with “gorilla” makes for a hilarious story in which the reader imagines a world where deranged gorillas run rampant. Someone who just purchased a gorilla (or gun) reasons that “it just gives me peace of mind knowing that if I’m ever in that situation, I won’t have to just watch helplessly as my torso is ripped in half and my face is chewed off. I’ll be able to use my gorilla to defend myself.”

Liz Anderson

Jan 14, 2013, 6:33:16 PM1/14/13
to adaplangand...@googlegroups.com
http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/commentary/la-oe-daum-hillary-clinton-president-20130110,0,6109604.column

This article is about Hillary Clinton and her years spent serving as a respected political figure. There is much controversy over whether or not she will run for president in 2016, as she is resigning from her position as the Secretary of State. This article investigates her age, health, and ability to be a candidate for the next election as well as the likelihood of her victory. This article was interesting to me due to the fact that she is an extremely respectable figure in politics, and it will be interesting to see if "Billary" re enters the whitehouse.

New Russian Law forbidding American adoptions

This article investigates the protesting of Putins administrating passing legislation making it illegal for Americans to adopt from Russia. The Russians are outraged at this due to the fact that a vast majority of adoptions are from Americans, especially those children who have mental handicaps or disabilities. The law enforcers of Russia did not ban these people from this protesting as they understood the motive, and saw these as "peaceful" and most agreed with the protestors.

isabella.cuan

Jan 14, 2013, 6:58:24 PM1/14/13
to adaplangand...@googlegroups.com

http://townhall.com/political-cartoons/2013/01/12/106375

I thought this was a very appropriate political cartoon given the circumstances of the past few months. The terrible shooting at Newtown, Connecticut is still on the minds of the public, and Hollywood’s Golden Globes have recently emerged in the media as they were just aired Sunday night. The cartoonist, Michael Ramirez, infallibly captured the hypocrisy that has arisen throughout the gun control controversy, especially in Hollywood. After Newtown, many prominent leaders as well as the everyday citizen became more vocal about their opinions on gun control, most urging the president to take immediate action. Like these people, Hollywood too has shared viewpoints about the issue, yet they are one of the biggest representations of violence and weapon use. Most action or thriller movies, or comedies for that matter, include a gun or weapon of the same sort at one point or another. Sometimes I wonder whether incidents like the Colorado shooting or that of Newtown are directly influenced by the speciousness of Hollywood.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/15/nyregion/new-york-city-school-bus-drivers-announce-strike.html?hp&_r=0

Written by Andy Newman of the New York Times, the article informs the public about a school bus strike that will take place on Wednesday in New York City. The last bus driver strike to take place occurred in 1979 during a thirteen-week period.  Michael Cordiello, president of one of the transit unions, believes it is a measure, though unfavorable, that must be taken for the sake of the bus drivers. However, the strike will thus require 152,000 city public and private school students to find another way to get to school, a gigantic amount of kids to account for. Arguing that the central issue in the labor dispute concerns job protection for the drivers, the drivers could potentially lose their jobs if the vendors who employ some of the most experienced bus drivers lose their contracts. Responding with a disappointed message, Bloomberg hopes that the drivers will reconsider their possible actions as they have selfishly abandoned those who depend on them. Everyday, I hear more and more about strikes and protests regarding the topic of education. At first, it began with teachers, but now, it has extended to those who are not even directly involved in the school, the bus drivers. Whether the unions or the city are wrong, America needs to take a step back and reexamine the direction it is headed.

stephen.voc

Jan 14, 2013, 8:00:40 PM1/14/13
to adaplangand...@googlegroups.com
http://www.cnn.com/2013/01/14/sport/skiing-risks-deaths-injuries/index.html?hpt=hp_c3

The title, "Danger on the slopes: Are winter sports safe", reveals the biased nature of this article from the get-go.  Throughout the entire piece, Paul Gittings explores the dangers of skiing and snowboarding.  It is clear that in the author's opinion, winter sports are not safe in the slightest.  Gittings only cites evidence that supports the notion that winter sports are too dangerous, such as death rates.  The author's purpose of explaining the problems with winter sports and what can be done to prevent further injuries is self-evident.  After a couple of falls this past weekend in Vermont while skiing, I tend to agree with the author on this one.

http://www.theonion.com/articles/panicking-flu-swears-it-didnt-mean-to-kill-old-lad,30899/

The writers at The Onion have created yet another humorous piece here.  It poses a hypothetical situation of a flu bacteria expressing sorrow over killing someone.  This is funny because bacteria cannot speak, nor do they feel anything, let alone guilt.  The purpose of the writers in writing this piece is to simply point out the obvious fact that flu is just a part of winter.  Although utter bedlam has transpired in light of the flu virus lately, the writers here are just reminding its readers to calm down.  The flue happens; we have gotten through it in the past, and we'll get through it again.

Alexandra Chin

Jan 14, 2013, 8:33:27 PM1/14/13
to adaplangand...@googlegroups.com
http://www.cnn.com/2013/01/14/politics/schoolhouse-rock-40/index.html?hpt=hp_c3

It is amazing that after all this years "Schoolhouse Rock" is still relevant today. I remember growing up listening to this stuff with my brother and I can personally say that it has helped me out tremendously when it cam to learning my multiplication tables and parts of speech. I still have the CD to this day. Not only the CD with all of the cartoons on it, but the one with just the songs that I would listen to as I fell asleep. To this day I probably still subconsciously hum the song "Three is a Magic Number" in order to remember the three times tables. The author takes on an appreciative and nostalgic tone as he describes how even adult who have their own kids can still remember the lyrics to these educational songs.

This is truly almost disturbing to read, Lance Armstrong, a man who I knew to be just the greatest athlete in the world (when I was little), has been attacked by the press saying that he has taken performance enhancing drugs which he isn't denying. It it truly unfortunate to see someone of such high regard being struck down like this. I'm not saying that he doesn't deserve it, but let's face it he does and it teaches young, up and coming athletes, that using performance enhancing drugs (cough, cough, Sterois cough) that it will not get you anywhere.

jamiemelville1

Jan 14, 2013, 9:40:30 PM1/14/13
to adaplangand...@googlegroups.com
http://www.nbcnews.com/business/americans-20s-30s-have-more-credit-card-debt-1B7956775

In this informative article by Patricia Reany, she explains the differences in credit card debt between Americans now versus Americans then show drastic differences between debt. Current Americans rely too heavily on credit cards, and their debt becomes increasingly deeper, causing more bankruptcy, financial instability, and a worse economy now than ever before. Reany addresses this as a path to financial crisis, and as electronic forms of payment emerge, it imposes a danger to all younger Americans.

This article is sort of thrown out of the blue as it discusses the possibility of a $1 trillion dollar coin being created in order to sidestep the debt. The plan was to mint the coin, and then deposit it to the Federal Reserve in order to attempt to pay off debt. The coin itself would not be physically 1 trillion dollars worth of platinum, but that would be it's declared value. The idea is flawed, but would supposedly not impact the economy, and is an "idea created out of thin air." It is intriguing to see the different ways fiscal cliff and the debt situation is handled.

Orion Farr

Jan 14, 2013, 9:54:30 PM1/14/13
to adaplangand...@googlegroups.com
http://news.yahoo.com/russian-team-reaches-buried-antarctic-lake-184655985.html
According to this article,a team of Russian scientists working in the center of Antarctica have successfully drilled into Lake Vostok, a frozen over lake which has been undisturbed for over 14 million years. Though the team were not able to find any microbes, their water sample test could be compared to dipping a glass into the ocean and expecting to find fish. The successful drilling leads into new science for oceanography, microbiology  as well as astrobiology, as ice sheets are hypothesized to cover large oceans inside Jupiter's moons. There is controversy due to the method the Russians are using to drill the ice though, they use kerosene, a toxic chemical while British and American teams have used hot water drills unsuccessfully in the past.

Randy May

Jan 14, 2013, 9:55:31 PM1/14/13
to adaplangand...@googlegroups.com

This is a very sad story about an air force veteran and his two sons that died while hiking on trails near St. Louis. They were caught in an absolute downpour and could not find there way back down the trail. They decided to wait the storm out, and in doing so they all were effected by hypothermia and other elements. Police officers found them and immediately pronounced the father dead, and pronounced the two young boys dead at the hospital. This is a very sad story and it also disappoints me because we will never hear about this kind of thing on the news. America is too caught up in the golden Globes and other celebrity stories that things as terrible as this are overlooked for some reason.

This political cartoon is mocking the NRA's attempts to promote gun rights and the second ammendment. The NRA often says that the only way t stop a guy with a gun is a guy with a gun, and this cartoon is showing the head of the NRA being arrested by a police officer with a gun. By the President of the NRA's feet is an assault rifle and he is being arrested for having it. I do not fully support taking away the ability to possess a gun, but I absolutely do support the taking away of automatic guns. There is no need for those types of guns in any situation.

Orion Farr

Jan 14, 2013, 10:04:29 PM1/14/13
to adaplangand...@googlegroups.com

Deaf Belgian twins, 45, win right to die after losing sight

This is a heartbreaking story where two identical twins, having been both born deaf, developed blindness. The two grew up together so closely, that due to their blindness they no longer wanted to live life anymore because they could not communicate with each other. Since they lived in Belgium, Euthanasia was a legal option, and the both consented. They spent their last minutes drinking coffee together with their family. "Belgium legalized euthanasia in 2002 and the number of cases has risen every year since. In 2011, 1,133 were granted the right to die, of which 86 percent were at least 60 years old and 72 percent suffering from cancer."
Honestly, if you don't want to live through a traumatic and disabling disease like cancer or total deafness and blindness, why should the government rule that it is not your choice to do so. I couldn't imagine experiencing what the two had to deal with, and as long as they completely consented I support their decision.

merstriolo

Jan 14, 2013, 10:05:42 PM1/14/13
to adaplangand...@googlegroups.com

http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/the-year-in-toles/2012/12/10/61c790aa-4301-11e2-9648-a2c323a991d6_gallery.html
This cartoon illustrates Boehner tricking the people into thinking he’s ready to negotiate the fiscal cliff. It’s an allusion to Charlie Brown and when Lucy would take the football away whenever Charlie Brown tried to kick it. It ultimately shows that Boehner is deceiving the opponent and pulling the rug away every time he is debating.

http://politicalhumor.about.com/od/politicalcartoons/ig/Political-Cartoons/Wayne-Lapierre.htm

This is a satirical cartoon that pokes fun at those who advocate for gun control. Ultimately it’s saying that if you take guns away from the good, people won’t have anything to protect them from the “bad guys.” Criminals will find guns one way or another and the only thing that can stop them is someone else, someone with some sense that is also armed with a gun.

brook...@gmail.com

Jan 15, 2013, 7:45:39 PM1/15/13
to adaplangand...@googlegroups.com
I agree, Stephen. When people act all germ-o-phobic it really bothers me, especially if they take it to such extremes that they will not comes close to me, even if I'm very healthy at the time. If people don't want to get sick, maybe they should have tried harder to have a stronger immune system, like me! I enjoy the Onion's pieces on current issues, I think the lighthearted approach they take on situations, such as the flu, just reminds peoples that, sure, contemporary issues and everyday problems are serious and should be handled, but you all also need to just calm down. Take a step back and think about what everybody is getting so worked up over. Then stop getting worked up.

brook...@gmail.com

Jan 15, 2013, 8:06:22 PM1/15/13
to adaplangand...@googlegroups.com
I don't know... Would this idea work? At first I completely shut it down. I thought it was a ridiculous idea, and it was bound to fail. But this is because it IS a ridiculous idea that IS bound to fail! This is just like saying, "Hey guys! This pillow is worth $1 trillion! Fiscal cliff is no more!" But really, it doesn't work like that. Just because it's a coin, and they're just planning on giving it an extremely high value, even though it is not of actual equal worth, doesn't mean it's going to actually make a difference in our economy.
But then again, JFK was a big believer in trial and error and experimentation. He said in the nation's state of turmoil in the 1930's that what the country really needed was experimentation. And if this is the experiment that we have come up with, I see no harm in giving it a shot. Take a crazy freakin' risk, America!

Dylan Panicucci

Jan 16, 2013, 6:42:18 PM1/16/13
to adaplangand...@googlegroups.com
Like Henri I was unaware of the constant raping in India.  What is happening there is atrocious and disgusting.  This needs to be stopped at once.  There needs to be action now to prevent further rape and to create harsher penalties for those who commit it.  The perpetrators are willing to deal with the consequences because they are not severe enough.  For a women to have to worry about taking public transportation is inexcusable.  This country needs to make itself safe for its own citizens.

Dylan Panicucci

Jan 16, 2013, 6:54:49 PM1/16/13
to adaplangand...@googlegroups.com
It is very sad that the two could not communicate with each other any more, and their lives would have been terrible from then on.  This is why I think euthanasia should be legal in America.  It prevents people from living out a painful life because of diseases like cancer or in this case being cut off from the entire world.  Cancer can take years to kill people, and if they are sure they are going to die, why suffer through the pain and waiting?  Set your affairs in order and go out quickly and painlessly.  If I ever became brain dead or would suffer some horrible death, I for one would want to be euthanized.

isabella.cuan

Jan 16, 2013, 7:42:26 PM1/16/13
to adaplangand...@googlegroups.com
This story was both heartbreaking and relevant as it gives us just another reason for why euthanasia should be legalized in America. While the twins' decision to end their lives was tragic, I support the decision because ultimately, they are the only ones who truly know the extent of their own pain. If this had happened here, it would be very difficult for me to understand how the government could decide this for the twins when it is their own and personal lives at hand. lIke Orion mentioned, there are many other circumstances, such as a paralyzing disease or deafness, that could arise in regards to euthanasia. Not that society would ever want euthanasia to be the solution, sometimes we have to realize that it is the practical answer for some.

OliviaPasserini

Jan 16, 2013, 7:51:12 PM1/16/13
to adaplangand...@googlegroups.com

http://www.theonion.com/articles/overweight-6yearold-vows-to-change-lifestyle-after,30856/

In this Onion article, the obesity epidemic in America is addressed through satire and uses appeal to humor as an obese 6 year old boy in kindergarten is described to have had two separate heart attacks in the past two years. The article uses fabricated quotes, supposedly from the young boy, to demonstrate through humor how ludicrous the amount of obesity in America is and how it really has gotten to the point of 6 year old kids being so drastically unhealthy that the length and quality of their lives are at stake. Although the little boy in this article did not actually have 2 heart attacks in the past 2 years, the idea brought up in the article is accurate. Parents need to start being more on top of their kids health because this epidemic cannot continue to grow.

http://search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt=Ap.PIvedhT7Nu765n_zYKE7EeOd_;_ylu=X3oDMTBkZ3F2ODY0BHNlYwNVSCBTZWFyY2g-;_ylg=X3oDMTM0YWtodjcyBGludGwDdXMEbGFuZwNlbi11cwRwc3RhaWQDMDAwN2Y5N2QtOWU4Ny0zNzY3LWExZjMtODlkZjRkNmQyYTM3BHBzdGNhdANibG9nc3x0aGVzaWRlc2hvdwRwdANzdG9yeXBhZ2U-;_ylv=3?p=political+cartoon&fr=ush-globalnews

In the political cartoon above, the picture depicts two men. One dressed in a graduation cap and gown with a diploma and one in a military uniform. The caption says how it is easier to find a war then a job these days. This appeal to humor is poking fun at the fact that our economy and job market is so terrible, while we are still involved in multiple wars with no end in sight. It is saying how young adults are better off joining the military and going to war then finding a job, because finding a job is nearly impossible in this day and age, while the wars seem to always be there. This cartoon is aimed at all people, but specifically, those who are just getting out of college and having a lot of trouble finding a job. I thought this cartoon was funny and incredibly true, in a certain sense, at the same time.

isabella.cuan

Jan 16, 2013, 7:53:35 PM1/16/13
to adaplangand...@googlegroups.com

I completely agree with what Patricia Reany suggested in this article about credit card debt. Since I am seventeen now and driving, I, like many others, am going to be getting a debit card that withdraws money directly from my bank account. Whether you have a credit or debit card for the first time, it is a frightening notion that you can spend money whenever or wherever you want. With this freedom comes responsibility (and a whole lot of self-control), just like anything else. I can see how much of our nation's debt can be directly traced to the teenagers of today.

Orion Farr

Jan 16, 2013, 10:07:10 PM1/16/13
to adaplangand...@googlegroups.com
everyone seems to be pushing the blame from the Newton massacre from the assailant to guns, videogames, etc, but when the actual problem lies with the gunman's mental health. He was obviously showing signs of extremely antisocial behavior before, people have to be diagnosed when strange behavior like his is occurring. We don't need a babysitter government, where our civil liberties are snatched from us when something awful happens, but we need a reform on the way our country sees its problems. We need mental health reform, there obviously been a large amount of publicized shootings lately, and all were dubbed crazy. We have to watch out for those factors.

In the second article, that was something out of the outsiders; a fight right in the middle of the street. I'd never expect to see something like that at Sparta but I guess the cities are different. Those parents are extremely irresponsible for doing that, but I guess one of the parents began fighting and the others joined in. It was a hot mess, but I don't really know what to say about it.

Liz Anderson

Jan 17, 2013, 2:45:53 PM1/17/13
to adaplangand...@googlegroups.com
Reply to the Political Cartoon:

I agree with Isabella that this cartoon is very appropriate for the here and now. I agree that actors have taken it upon themselves to intrigrate this acting into everyday life by voicing their political viewpoints, sometimes to gain favorable image. It is the actors and actresses who all of the sudden feel strongly about an issue once it is in the forefront to hopefully make the cover of some newspaper or magazine.

sian.barry

Jan 17, 2013, 3:46:52 PM1/17/13
to adaplangand...@googlegroups.com

With the recent Newtown shooting still hanging overhead, VP Joe Biden, like pointed out in the article, met with the top people of the video gaming industry. It was extremely intriguing to me when I discovered that Adam Lanza, the murder and shooter, had been obsessed with violent video games, with an unprecedented stash. But like Dylan, although there is said to be a correlation between video games and violence, in this case, it only applies to a small percentage that go on to commit heinous crimes against humanity. Adam Lanza was undoubtedly mentally ill. His actions prove this: however; I don't think its fair to blame the industry for molding a Lanza into a sick masochistic man. Evidently, him playing video games isn't the sole cause or reason that he committed this horrific mass shooting; there are many layers behind such a psyche that delve down into deeper dimensions than just playing a shooting game. Again, I agree with Dylan that its the parents fault for buying their kids violent games prematurely, even when it is suggested that they don't play them until they are 17 years of age.

sian.barry

Jan 17, 2013, 3:57:45 PM1/17/13
to adaplangand...@googlegroups.com

This was a completely heartbreaking article to read, and it directly relates very much to political debates other the legalization of Euthanasia in America. In the land of opportunity and freedom, it is so hypocritical that America does not grant its citizens the right to choose if they want to die or not; it isobscene to me. I just don't see the logic in it. A person, as a constituitonal right, has a right to their own body, in which they have the right to do whatever they please with it. No government should be able to tell you can't die if you want to. In the case of these twins, such unforeseen and unfortunate circumstances plagued them on this Earth, so it was only fair that they go to heaven without suffering too much. I know I wouldn't want to spend the last years of my life writhing in pain from cancer, so why am I, in America, not able to choose what my fate is? Even though I'm not a U.S. citizen, this debate bothers me because it just doesn't seem logical.

Liz Anderson

Jan 17, 2013, 4:23:24 PM1/17/13
to adaplangand...@googlegroups.com
Reply to the Onion Piece:

I also thought this article was humorous, as they personified germs. Also, I think that this article is extremely appropriate for Sparta High considering the amount of students who are out of school due to flu related illnesses. It is crazy the amount of people these illnesses affect, and the symptons can vary from mild to extremely dangerous and in some cases life threatening.

katherine...@gmail.com

Jan 17, 2013, 4:54:43 PM1/17/13
to adaplangand...@googlegroups.com
 To begin, I would just like to quote one of my favorite tv shows of all time, Bill Nye The Science Guy, and go on the record saying that,  "science rules". It's so crazy to think that the universe we live in is too large for us to even comprehend, even with it being smaller than originally thought. It's fantastic to think about the fact that despite all of the technological process that has been made, the human race still knows so little about the universe. So often, scientists are proved wrong because there's simply so much out there that they end up missing something only a few light-years away! The article concludes with the line "At the moment, we just don't know." I love this conclusion to the article because it illustrates firstly, that in no way will scientists give up on (dark) matters like this, while at the same showing that there is still so much more work to be done before any "real" progress can be made.

mdsaba1126

Jan 17, 2013, 5:03:16 PM1/17/13
to adaplangand...@googlegroups.com
This report about a man using a deadly weapon to prevent eviction is just another reason that gun legislation should definitively be passed as soon as possible.There have been far to many tragedies recently, and even the most ardent supporters of the second amendment should realize that there must be change. Even though this event did not end tragically, it is a huge deal. This man who had the AK-47 is showing that not only are people purchasing weapons, but they are using them without discretion. The fact that clearly sane people believe that it is fine to brandish an assault weapon freely is truly a terrible thing.

On Sunday, January 13, 2013 9:55:19 PM UTC-5, Ben Skalla wrote:
http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/01/10/16448792-tenant-facing-eviction-pulls-ak-47-on-landlord-police-say?lite

This article reports on a man in chicago who threatened his landlord with a deadly weapon.  The landlord had visited the mans home in order to discuss eviction, where the landlord had an AK-47 pointed at him.  This is another incident where someone is in possession of a dangerous gun who definitely cannot be trusted with it.  After the massacres in Aurora Colorado and in Newtown Connecticut, the debate on gun control has become a much bigger issue in politics.  This incident adds to the issue of dangerous assault weapons being in the hands of people.

katherine...@gmail.com

Jan 17, 2013, 5:10:06 PM1/17/13
to adaplangand...@googlegroups.com
It's sad to think that someone's life could be so terrible that they would make the choice to die, but after all, I think they have the right to make that choice for themselves. Why should your government have a say over whether or not you live anymore? I think that in this case anyone can agree that Belgium was right in legalizing euthanasia. It should be legal in the United States for people with terminal illnesses as well as debilitating diseases. With proper limitations, and proper means of ensuring total, absolute consent, I think that euthanasia could seriously help people who are suffering each day that they remain alive against their choice. This story is absolutely heartbreaking, but I'm happy that they had each other for moral support, and lived in a country that didn't force them to stay alive despite their wishes.

Julie Daniels

Julie Daniels

Jan 17, 2013, 5:21:03 PM1/17/13
to adaplangand...@googlegroups.com

This article is a very surprising one to me. Not only is it shocking that the people of Russia don’t want Americans to adopt some of their foster kids, but the fact that they made a law against it appalls me. When a parent wants to adopt a child from any part of the would they should be allowed to. This could eventually lead to a better life for the child's real parents and their adopted parents, as well as the child itself.This has people in an uproar and the amount of public discontent is at an all time high. There was even a protest where police officials had to get involved. In my opinion, if ALL the people feel so strongly against one subject, then something should be done to prevent it.

Matt Saba

Jan 17, 2013, 5:21:54 PM1/17/13
to adaplangand...@googlegroups.com
This video depicts a ridiculous incident that really should not have happened. First off, it is bad enough that students would get into a brawl for no reason, but for parents to get involved as well? That is just utter immaturity on everyones part. It is ridiculous that this many people can get into a fight. I mean come on, 60 people, brawling it out at a bus stop. What could possibly have been important enough for all of these people to fight, get hurt, and possibly face criminal charges? If this is what society is degrading to, I am truly fearful for our future.

stephen.voc

Jan 17, 2013, 5:34:26 PM1/17/13
to adaplangand...@googlegroups.com

I completely agree, Orion.  Although it is true that this story is heartbreaking, it is also beautiful in retrospect.  With articles like these, perhaps people around the world can realize the instances in which euthanasia should be legal.  That is the overall tone I believe the author was trying to set in this piece, and I think it was an overwhelming success.

Randy May

Jan 17, 2013, 5:36:51 PM1/17/13
to adaplangand...@googlegroups.com

There have been just way too many incidents with automatic weapons within the past ten years. It is time to totally band automatic weapons in the USA all together. These weapons are meant only for the Army to use, if regular people get their hands on these types of weapons, it only spells trouble. There has just been too many of these incidents recently, it is time to band them all together. There are no need for them in America.

I believe that the press has every right to tear apart Lance Armstrong and what he has done to a number of physicians and prescription drug providers. He has ruined the careers of many who have accused him of taking these drugs, and now that he has actually came out and said that he has taken drugs, makes him a bad person. He only cares about himself and the fact that he has denied these allegations for most of his adult life, and now has said that he has taken them is just wrong. He ruined the lives of countless people and won most of his medals by cheating.

stephen.voc

Jan 17, 2013, 5:39:42 PM1/17/13
to adaplangand...@googlegroups.com

This cartoon made me laugh out loud the first moment I read it.  I agree entirely with Isabella, and I'm glad she pointed out the hypocrisy of the image.  Hollywood is notorious for spreading violent images, so why then, are Hollywood producers suddenly taking a stance on gun control?  They should have been doing so for years and have not waited until 20 kindergartners were victimized.  The creator of this cartoon is, therefore, extremely successful in pointing out the hypocrisy of some Americans.

Ben Skalla

Jan 17, 2013, 6:04:46 PM1/17/13
to adaplangand...@googlegroups.com
Although not 100% effective, the flu vaccine is definitely worth it in my opinion.  Whether you get the flu or not, people who had the gotten the vaccine did not experience the flu as severely as those who did not get the vaccine.  Personally, I'd prefer to know that I have a decreased chance of getting the flu.  I would probably still get the shot even if it only worked 20% of the time.  I haven't gotten the flu in a handful of years and i get the vaccine every year, so i'm happy.  From what I remember from the last time I had the flu, it was not pleasant experience that I'd rather not go through again.  If that means getting a shot each year that doesn't even guarantee protection from the flu, so be it.

Mikaela Litchfield

grace miller

Mikaela Litchfield

Ben Skalla

Jan 17, 2013, 7:04:47 PM1/17/13
to adaplangand...@googlegroups.com
I was interested to read this article, as i am just getting into snowboarding this season, and my parents seem to think i'm going to kill myself in the process.  In my opinion, in this type of activity, it is all about realizing your own skill level and not trying to rush into things.  Protective gear is a necessity and there is no reason not to wear a helmet.  For me, it can be tempting to try some of the tricks my friends are doing, but i have to tell myself that they have been doing it longer than I have, and its not worth the chance of getting injured.  Careful judgement is extremely important, because injuries are common in snowboarding and skiing, but overestimating one's own ability is not wise.

Alexandra Chin

Jan 17, 2013, 8:34:26 PM1/17/13
to adaplangand...@googlegroups.com

I found this article to be rather intriguing since there was no direct reason as to why they have enforced this law. This law seems really ridiculous due to the simple fact that having some parents is better than having none at all. Whether it be the fact that Russia (rather the Russian Government) sees American parents as being unfit for the duties of parenthood or some other reason there really should be a better explanation surrounding this topic.

This cartoon called attention to the recent problem that has plagued our country, gun control. This cartoon shows a shopping list with all of the usual school supplies including Kevlar, a material used to make bullet-proof vest. While this cartoon's purpose is to draw attention to the recent shootings and the developing issue of gun control it makes one think, is this really such a bad idea? In a perfect world we shouldn't even need to see an issue like this arise, but with the recent developments, would it be such a terrible idea to have bullet-proof vests available at schools in case of a terrible event akin to that which happened in Newton, Connecticut?

Doug Triolo

Jan 17, 2013, 8:35:44 PM1/17/13
to adaplangand...@googlegroups.com

Yeah that’s pretty serious. It’s unfortunate that schools were closed that long, for now the students are either behind or are undergoing yet another transfer after being moved around between schools for months. Personally, I was bored to death without power, it was devastating not having internet, so much so that I was hopping around mooching off of other people’s TV and internet, yet some people’s houses were there one day and two blocks down the street the next. I can’t imagine going through that, but I’m glad to hear that the last of the schools has been re-opened.

After last Friday, the last school that had been closed after Superstorm Sandy re-opened.  This storm has caused many problems for people living along the east coast.  Although many areas recovered within a short period of time, other places are still feeling the affects of the storm.  This school had remained closed for months after the storm had hit.  Many people, including myself, thought that Sparta got hit hard, but this goes to show how devastating this storm was for many places.  I was upset about not having power for a week while many people were left without a house after this storm.

Doug Triolo

Jan 17, 2013, 8:37:48 PM1/17/13
to adaplangand...@googlegroups.com

Haha that’s a good one. This is most certainly relevant as we face the fiscal cliff, and pretty accurate too. I like how the creator uses the play on words and the overall artistic approach of the cartoon. It’s funny how, despite all of their efforts, Congress still gets the brunt of the people’s biased verbal abuse, no matter what side it’s coming from.

Message has been deleted

elizabeth.smith.24

Jan 17, 2013, 9:53:50 PM1/17/13
to adaplangand...@googlegroups.com
I agree with both Orion and Stephen in regards that this article tells a tale that is not only sweet, but is worth hearing and may inspire other countries to legalize euthanasia. These twins, once they realized that their life would never be the same, and in fact be less that it currently was, took the time to say a heartwarming goodbye to family and friends, and finally each other. I think that with the decision to leave the world, it was very heartwarming that they chose to leave together, much like they entered together.

rippeyrachel

Jan 17, 2013, 9:59:36 PM1/17/13
to adaplangand...@googlegroups.com
I think the political cartoon was very humorous in a lighthearted attempt to recap the flu epidemic thats sweeping the country. Personally, I was not plagued by this virus, but I still hope I do not become susceptible to it. The giant germ knocking on the door of a house not protected by gunman, who have recently been very popular subjects in the news, but by hand sanitizer. Its just one of those things you see daily and never take the time to fully appreciate.

rippeyrachel