DJ's 1/28/13

katherine...@gmail.com

Jan 28, 2013, 2:14:57 PM1/28/13
to adaplangand...@googlegroups.com

katherine...@gmail.com

Jan 28, 2013, 2:23:19 PM1/28/13
to adaplangand...@googlegroups.com
http://www.cnn.com/2013/01/21/health/hemingway-film/index.html?hpt=he_t5

This article, penned by Elizabeth Landau, discusses the new documentary by Mariel Hemingway  granddaughter of the famed writer, Ernest Hemingway. The film, as well as this article, focuses on the mental illness that that has driven many members of the Hemingway family to commit suicide. You can tell by the Landau's writing, as well as the quotes from Mariel, that these women care deeply about the well-being of the family, and are greatly interested in the driving forces behind the suicide. For Mariel Hemingway, the issue is intensely personal, and I think it's wonderful that she's so open about all of the family drama. It's interesting for someone who's a major fan of Ernest Hemingway to see the struggle of his family, and learn more about the depression that eventually took him from the world. I'm very interested in seeing this movie because it received wonderful reviews from those who saw it at Sundance, and the executive producer was Oprah, so it must be pretty awesome. Hopefully creating this film helped Mariel to deal with her intra-family issues and to reaffirm her faith in her work with suicide prevention.

katherine...@gmail.com

Jan 28, 2013, 2:48:47 PM1/28/13
to adaplangand...@googlegroups.com
http://www.cnn.com/2013/01/23/health/tonic-tablet-app/index.html?hpt=he_t4

Here, Jacque Wilson tells of how Georgetown University is now using tablets to conduct the traditional questionnaires that we all receive at the doctor's office. While this new technique does seem to have certain advantages, there are some drawbacks to it as well. The article praises the new app as something that will completely revolutionize doctor visits, but it seems like a few flaws are being completely ignored. Is it really sanitary for sick people, or people in general, to be passing around a tablet all day? You can't exactly dunk the device in bleach between each different user, so this just opens the door for easier germ spreading. Also, humans are overly prone to accidents. What if these tablets are used with the utmost care? Finally, batteries on tablets can only last so long, and being constantly used by patient after patient is going to completely drain the battery, meaning that only some people will actually get to use them, or each doctor's office will have to have a bunch to accommodate all of their patients. I can't see these apps and tablets, however fun and simple they may be, catching on because of the obvious health risk as well as the cost of buying all of those tablets.

Mikaela Litchfield

Jan 28, 2013, 4:33:41 PM1/28/13
to adaplangand...@googlegroups.com

http://www.cnn.com/2013/01/28/us/boy-scouts-policy/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

This article, written by Ashely Fantz of CNN, describes a new policy that might allow for openly gay members of The Boy Scouts of America. I was kind of shocked when I read clicked on this article, titled “Boy  Scouts reconsider policy against gay membership” because it is becoming more unusual (though unfortunately not unheard of) for the homosexual community to be so blatantly discriminated against.  The policy forbidding gays to become Boy Scouts seems so warped hypocritical, as a founding principle of all Boy Scouts is to treat others with fairness and respect. The protest that sparked this consideration of change in policy was sparked by a den mother having to step down from her position for being openly gay.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/01/28/world/asia/australia-teenager-found/index.html?hpt=hp_t4

This article was written very factually and describes an Australian teenager that was found in the bushland after being missing for two months. He was reportedly covered in mosquitoes and leeches, and suffering for gangrene, dehydration, and emaciation. He is supposed to have been in the brush for the entire two months he was missing, and his starvation caused him to lose around 50 percent of his body weight. As informative as this article was, it does not say how or why he was there, or if he was abducted.

Liz Anderson

Jan 28, 2013, 5:24:56 PM1/28/13
to adaplangand...@googlegroups.com
Boy Scouts Reconsidering Policy on Gay Members

This article is about how the Boy Scouts Organization of America is changing its policy about allowing openly gay members into their chapters on the local level. Many scouts and families are outraged that even today this policy still exists and have been protesting. Protests even included sending their hard earned badges back as they did not want to be part of something that was contradicting the entire purpose of the group. This article is interesting to me because I could not believe that this kind of policy even existed in 2013! This is outrageous.

Liz Anderson

Jan 28, 2013, 5:32:40 PM1/28/13
to adaplangand...@googlegroups.com
http://www.cnn.com/2013/01/26/us/colorado-fetus-lawsuit/index.html?hpt=hp_bn1

This article is about a man whose wife died along with two twins she was carrying in her womb. He is fighting for these twins to be recognized as people. However the hospital and the hospitals lawyers are fighting that a fetus isnt a person. Therefore they do not want to recognize that this man lost two sons and the hospital is responsible. This article is interesting to me because I side with the hospital, however morally I want to side with the man. I understand that it puts you more at ease and pays more respect to the "children" to refer to them as real people and not a fetus.

elizabeth.smith.24

Jan 28, 2013, 5:42:20 PM1/28/13
to adaplangand...@googlegroups.com
Quite honestly, this article exemplifies the epitome human stupidity. This article by Everton Bailey Jr. reports that a 39-year old man has posted on Facebook that "Camas fans!!!!! Worst in the league!!!! I hope someone shoots up their school really soon!!!!!!!!!!" First off, why would a father make such a huge deal over a high school basketball game, but more importantly, in a time where shootings are so emotionally charged within North America, why would you post that you wanted someone to hit up a school on Facebook? This man simply boggles my mind. I get that parents want the best for their kids, but this seems to cross the line.

While many people do not think that the death of a dog should be news, the death of a canine from service should be realized by the American people. I understand that there are many out there who do not agree with Biden and Obama (and may not want them to continue their term) but they should understand that lives are being taken because of their threats. This article by Dylan Stableford tells of the death of a Secret Service Team dog as he searches for bombs in a parking garage prior to the arrival of Biden. In a matter-of-fact, yet somewhat somber way, the story of this trusted, nameless canine is told. While Americans constantly are reminded of the deaths of citizens, they should also remember that there are others giving their lives.

rippeyrachel

Jan 28, 2013, 6:34:19 PM1/28/13
to adaplangand...@googlegroups.com
http://business.time.com/2013/01/28/the-sleep-industry-why-were-paying-big-bucks-for-something-thats-free/?hpt=hp_t4

The sleep industry has been booming within the last few years, where people pay good money in order to receive a "good nights" sleep. For example, why do consumers feel that their sleep will be dramaatically altered if they purchase a Tempur-pedic  mattress? This article written by Kit Yarrow explains four natural steps in order for you to fall asleep easily. In the beginning of the second paragraph Yarrow humorously comments that "that many of you might be better off taking a nap than reading this article." This article was supposed to be written for those people who search the Internet for sleep remedies, and here they will find four simple steps that will allow your body to relax, and fall asleep. In a very informative tone, Yarrow explains that you don't need to by a good nights sleep.

This video was extremely disheartening. I was deeply grieved after watching the emotions of the man who lost his young wife and unborn sons. He even has their footprints and names tattooed by his heart. He was hurt because the Catholic organization refused to recognize the sons as being human beings. In court, he tried to sue the hospital, only eventually to lose and then himself be sued 118,000 in legal fews; pilfering his wages. He cares for his nine-year-old daughter; just trying to make it by. This was appalling to me that the Catholic organization would deny its affiliations in order to win a legal case. I was deeply troubled by its hypocritical comments, saying they follow the morals of the church. Furthermore, I was embarrassed because they look absolutely ridiculous in my eyes, and this poor man needs some sort of closure.

Matt Saba

Jan 28, 2013, 6:57:39 PM1/28/13
to adaplangand...@googlegroups.com

http://nation.time.com/2013/01/27/thousands-march-for-gun-control-in-washington/?iid=us-article-mostpop1

This article is about a march in Washington DC by people who are pro-gun control.  There were people in attendance who were involved in the shootings at Newtown, CT and Virginia Tech. The thousands of people carried signs saying “Stop NRA” and “Gun Control Now”. There is a definite need for gun control in America, but I cannot say that I completely agree to ban all guns. There definitely needs to be stricter control on assault weapons and high capacity magazines, but there is no way that the government will be able to completely ban them. In addition to disagreeing with a full ban, I also disagree with the idea of giving teachers and school officials firearms. The last thing that we need is more weapons in circulation and arming untrained civilians would definitely be a bad thing. In the article the author uses quotations from the rally and statistics in order to exemplify points that he is trying to make.

http://business.time.com/2013/01/16/virginia-is-worried-cars-are-becoming-too-fuel-efficient/?iid=obnetwork

On a lighter note, this article is about how Virginia is not happy with the rise in fuel efficiency in cars recently. States make a large percentage of their tax income from taxes on gas and the fact that people are buying less and less gas is making states such as Virginia, among many others, impose harsher measures to make money. The governor of Virginia proposed a solution though, to completely get rid of the gas tax but to jack up the sales tax to 0.8%. Curiously enough, the governor also wants to make people who own green vehicles to pay a $100 annual fee. It just seems wrong that being anti-environmental can save you money but with all of the problems in the American economy, it may be a way to begin to solve the problem that we are in.

brook...@gmail.com

Jan 28, 2013, 7:04:35 PM1/28/13
to adaplangand...@googlegroups.com

Fans of the rapper William L. Roberts, or better known as Rick Ross, you are in for some news. Reuters writes with a shocked tone of Ross's death threats that took place Monday, January 28th, which is also his birthday. He was having breakfast at a local diner with a female companion when, upon departure, his vehicle was shot at several times. Losing control of his car during the shots, Ross crashed his car into another local apartment building. Now, what perplexes me, is who would wanna kill Rick Ross? I'm not the biggest fan of Rick Ross... Well, I actually strongly dislike his music, but he seems like an alright guy. His latest album release has been nominated for a Grammy this year and he has also founded his own music group. Then again, I don't know how Rick Ross spends his free time or the criminals he might associate with. If Justin Bieber is out kanoodling with a buncha' hooligans, smoking drugs these days, who knows what Rick Ross is out doing! Celebrities these days really get themselves into some deep stuff. Truthfully, it doesn't make a difference to me. But hey, happy birthday, big guy.

This article was very simple, but to me, it was enlightening in a way. Eric Pfeiffer writes with a proud tone of Edythe Kirchmaier, a 105-year-old woman who recently renewed her drivers license. At first, one might skim the article and think, "So what? An old woman passed a simple road test." But when one really puts this idea into thought, WHAT AN AMAZING WOMAN! Kirchmaier still drives the roads of her town daily, to and fro her Direct Relief International volunteer group she leads. Also keeping up with the current fads, Kirchmaier was given the titled of Facebook's most senior user... What an honor? Either way, this woman is still kicking, and I respect this in her. It's amazing that people like her, despite their age, do not give up. She must have a lot of vitality. Edythe Kirchmaier, as long as she is alive, will continue to do amazing things - even if it is just renewing her driver's license. So to anyone who thinks that there isn't enough time to do anything, Pfeiffer and Kirchmaier say otherwise. Get off of your asses and go live life!
Love Henri
and Edythe

merstriolo

Jan 28, 2013, 7:04:53 PM1/28/13
to adaplangand...@googlegroups.com

http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/tom-toles-on-the-budget-battle/2011/03/15/AB6u9ZX_gallery.html#photo=19

This cartoon suggest that the government doesn't even feel its worth it to give the poor, jobless, and struggling middle and lower classes any slack because there is no chance for them to recover. It essentially says that the government doesn't care about them anymore and that the jobless are not worth their time.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/tom-toles-on-the-budget-battle/2011/03/15/AB6u9ZX_gallery.html#photo=18

This cartoon shows that Ryan’s Budget Savings don't exist and that his plan is just a trap, catching supporters and fence-sitters by the neck. It suggests that his plan does not actually call for any cuts that we so desperately need to mitigate the economic turmoil in America.

Ben Skalla

Jan 28, 2013, 7:29:44 PM1/28/13
to adaplangand...@googlegroups.com
http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/01/28/16742257-california-arsonist-sentenced-to-death-for-fatal-2003-blaze?lite

An arsonist in California was sentenced to death recently, due to starting a 91,000 acre fire back in 2003.  The fire that this man caused, resulted in 5 men dying from heart attacks during evacuations.  More than 1000 homes were damaged in the fire.  It makes no sense why anyone would purposely start a fire that was capable of that much damage.  The judge had the option to sentence the man to life in state prison, but he chose to sentence him to death.  Even after the 10 year wait until this man received his sentence, he will likely be waiting many more years until his death.  The crime that this man committed is so severe, because of the widespread damage it causes that affect so many people.

This article explains the bizarre situation in Australia where  some areas along the coast have been engulfed in three meter high see foam.  The sea foam has left many people stranded.  These conditions were caused by extreme winds that blew sea water into the air before it is washed onto the beach.  Widespread flood warnings have caused thousands to evacuate their homes.  Emergency services throughout the affected areas are advising everyone to cancel all non-essential travel due to dangerous conditions.  This type of situation is hard to imagine, because of how rare it is.

sian.barry

Jan 28, 2013, 7:42:05 PM1/28/13
to adaplangand...@googlegroups.com
http://www.politicalcartoons.com/cartoon/2e0894a0-0ea0-4d35-9b63-5dad3c2d8ac3.html

In this political cartoon, artist Dave Granlund depicts the impossible and "undocumented" path to American citizenship. On one side of the cliff, there is a normal average family who seem to be looking across the cliff in search of a way to obtain citizenship. However, with the Capitol building from Washington, D.C. on the other side, the great distance between the two cliffs and the impossibility of crossing it illustrates the difficulty of becoming a citizen of this country. A blurb from the Capitol building says "Ahhh.. We're working on it" ultimately shows that even though the path is nonexistent in the political cartoon and extremely difficult in real life, the government is still apathetic towards the issue. As a foreigner with a British birth certificate, I am allowed to stay in the U.S. for ten years because of my green card, but I luckily have no need to get American citizenship. Personally, I wouldn't want to get it because its such a time consuming process and my British citizenship is much more valuable.

isabella.cuan

Jan 28, 2013, 7:47:30 PM1/28/13
to adaplangand...@googlegroups.com
http://lightbox.time.com/2013/01/07/real-photographer-fake-war-jonathan-olley-and-zero-dark-thirty/#1

Written by Adam McCauley of Time Magazine, this article about the still photographer for the newly released and highly controversial movie, Zero Dark Thirty, is fascinating for aspiring photographers like myself. As a 27-year-old photographer, Jonathan Olley traveled to Sarajavo, a city under siege as Yugoslavia broke apart in the 1990's. He was ready to depart, equipment in hand, when violent explosion occurred footsteps away from him in the city's main market. The explosion resulted in the deaths of 68 people and wounding of 200; fortunately, Olley was not one of them. Nonetheless, the images he captured expressed the devastation the city endured and the atrocities that can be committed amidst war. Olley's experiences are just few of what many war photographers come across; they exemplify the dangers photographers, not just soldiers, place themselves in, knowing they may not survive in the end. Olley was later introducted to Hollywood director Paul Greengrass where he began his first venture into cinema photography. He currently is the still photographer for Zero Dark Thirty and is translating his work in the war field into that of war movies; I find it riveting how the two do not share many differences. While hardships are undoubtedly encountered when in the reality of war, they still exist, possibly even more brutally, in Hollywood where criticism, disrespect, and judgment are inevitable.

sian.barry

Jan 28, 2013, 7:56:27 PM1/28/13
to adaplangand...@googlegroups.com
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-21194090

In his BBC News article, James Gallagher reflects upon the swine flu pandemic in 2009, reporting that at least 20% of people, including half of schoolchildren were infected with the virus. First appearing in Mexico, the H1N1 virus rapidly spread around the world killing about 200,000 people. Utilizing the words of experts, Gallagher quotes Dr. Maria Van Kerkhove in saying "those that did die are much younger than in seasonal flu so the years of life lost will be much more." He also notes that doctors are shocked by how incredibly infectious the virus is. He sheds light on the fact that children were more susceptible because, unlike the elderly who usually die from the flu, the kids had not been exposed to this form of the virus as those of past generations had been at an earlier time. In seventh grade, I too had been infected with swine flu. It was a completely horrible experience so I'm hoping my flu shot this year will protect me from getting it again.

grace miller

Jan 28, 2013, 8:04:33 PM1/28/13
to adaplangand...@googlegroups.com

http://www.cnn.com/2013/01/28/us/boy-scouts-policy/index.html?hpt=hp_t4

In this article, Ashley Fantz reports about the possible change to the policy that does not allow gay boys to be a part of boy scouts. It was reported that Members of the organization's national board are expected to bring up the issue at a regularly scheduled biannual meeting in February. The times may finally begging to progress for boy scouts after more than 260,000 Scouts, have publicly protested the policy.  I think it is very surprising that this policy is still a part of the scout rules. With so many other things progressing, it is surprising to me that there is such equality in an organization that provides much pride. Through this article, Ashley Fantz brings awareness to the changing tides of a controversial issue in the hope that equality can be achieved.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/01/28/world/asia/australia-teenager-found/index.html?hpt=hp_t4

In this horrific article, Katie Hunt reports an Australian teenager reported missing two months ago has been found alive but in very bad shape. Missing for nine weeks, he was found by two hikers and discovered very dismantled and covered in leeches and mosquito bites. Since I am highly afraid of leeches I almost did not even want to read this article. I realize that the boy is still alive and now with his family but I just can’t believe what a horrific situation he was in. This article should be happy in the end but I, among probably many other readers, cannot get over the grotesque picture that as formed in my head.

isabella.cuan

Jan 28, 2013, 8:05:27 PM1/28/13
to adaplangand...@googlegroups.com
http://townhall.com/political-cartoons/2013/01/25/106716

The Pentagon recently announced that the U.S. military will allow women to fight on the front lines within a few years. This political cartoon is a reaction to this very announcement, essentially representing women gearing up for combat. As expressed in the cartoon, Barbie, or "Combat Barbie", has an entirely new wardrobe, one that consists of a uniform, helmet, boots, backpack, rifle, binoculars, and POW uniform. The cartoonist, Gary Varvel, sarcastically and drastically portrays the new role women will soon take on; however, for good or for bad? The cartoon incites the controversy of women's roles in the military once more. It is proven that the average woman does not have the same upper body strength as the average man, but does that necessarily mean they can't fight as successfully as men along the front lines. Furthermore, this concerns the average woman; there are many women who are above average, and therefore, above the average man. It will be interesting to see where the debate is taken once women are actually authorized to participate in the front lines.

stephen.voc

Jan 28, 2013, 8:13:04 PM1/28/13
to adaplangand...@googlegroups.com
http://video.msnbc.msn.com/newsnation/50618494/#50618494

This is a clip from a news piece that evaluates the likelihood of Hillary Clinton running for president in 2016.  Although the views of the reporters might lean slightly left, the piece is overall fairly unbiased.  The reporters are explaining to the American public that it is extremely likely that Clinton will run for president in 2016 in light of her and Obama's camaraderie in a recent interview on 60 minutes.  Personally, I would love to see Clinton run for president, and it seems that other Democrats agree according to this article.  "[Democrats] are all saying the same thing.  Clinton.  Clinton.  Clinton.  It's time for a woman."

http://www.politicalcartoons.com/cartoon/1f4b428f-ea9b-4882-a05b-a284d52802f7.html

This political cartoon perfectly accompanies the concept of the first video clip that I posted.  It shows former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton sitting at her Benghazi interview, dreaming of running for president in 2016.  In this famous interview, Clinton became emotional and angry, as people asked her questions regarding the Benghazi incident.  I enjoy this cartoon because it seems to say the message: "Cut Hillary some slack."  She is fed up with her duties as Secretary of State and is more than justified in getting frustrated at her interviews.  Her mind has left her responsibilities as Secretary of State and moved onto the bigger obstacle of becoming the first female president.  In all honesty, it's time this dream turns into a reality.

Julie Daniels

Jan 28, 2013, 8:28:48 PM1/28/13
to adaplangand...@googlegroups.com

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/30/science/space/mercury-home-to-ice-messenger-spacecraft-findings-suggest.html

“On closest planet to the sun, NASA finds lots of Ice”

It seems to go against everything you ever learned in your elementary science classrooms; the planet closest to the sun should be the hottest right? Well in reality, it was found to contain enough ice to engulf the entire Washington DC area. The planet Mercury, ranks among one of the hottest in the solar system, so how is it possible to contain so much frozen ice? Journalist Kenneth Chang reports that scientists have recently found deep craters in which the sun never shines. These places tend to dip as cold as -370 Kelvin. Scientists and readers alike are intrigued by their new findings and this could lead to the possibility of the nest NASA mission to be sent up to Mercury to see what all this Ice is about. However, this might take decades to set in motion so for now all we can do is wait to find out what is really up there on this hot planet.

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2012/11/19/us/ap-us-climate-change.html?hp&_r=0

Iowa Scientists: Drought a Sign of Climate Change

The recent issue of climate change and global warming has presented many theories and opinions. The fact of the matter is however, that the world is changing. Something is happening to the climate and the atmosphere, and no one scientist is 100% sure on why. Recently, it has been the work of many colleges to research this and present their findings, giving a new outlook on the entire issue. More than 130 scientists from Iowa colleges and research facilities have come together to determine that the recent drought is very much due to the steady change in temperature. Also, more droughts can be expected as a result of this because the climate makes the fluctuations between wet and dry years more extreme. This will soon trickle down and cause more flooding and natural disasters. So, what is the big concern with this? The extreme variations will cause less crop growth and therefor, less to eat and less jobs. The environment effects in more ways than one may think.

Alexandra Chin

Jan 28, 2013, 8:52:26 PM1/28/13
to adaplangand...@googlegroups.com
http://www.cnn.com/2013/01/26/tech/innovation/steve-jobs-movie/index.html

After movies about the creation of Facebook and other films depicting the rise of popular icons of this decade, it seems only proper that Jobs gets his fair share of the spotlight. However, there comes the problem that is lumped in with most books. The fact that it is nearly impossible to give justice to someone's story in the span of a couple of hours, yet the industry goes on. I personally think that it's a great idea to make a movie, however not a Blockbuster kin of movie. I would much rather prefer to see an intensive documentary. These kinds of movies are simplified down to the bare bones, painting a black and white picture.

So Twitter came out with this new thing called the Vine, it's like Youtube, but condensed down into six seconds. So just when I finally understand this Instagram stuff they have to come out with something new. This article discusses the pro's and cons to the Vine and one of them i have to laugh at. The Rebirth of the GIF? Are you serious? All you need to do is log on to Tumblr and you will see that GIFs are far from being dead. Not to mention with all the new apps that help you make GIFs on your phone, the Vine isn't anything really new.

Dylan Panicucci

Jan 28, 2013, 9:53:53 PM1/28/13
to adaplangand...@googlegroups.com
http://security.blogs.cnn.com/2013/01/25/how-dangerous-is-north-koreas-nuke-capability/?iref=allsearch

This article and video is about North Korea's recent nuclear missile activity and tests.  The United Nations decided to put more sanctions on Pyongyang for launches last year.  In response to this though, North Korea is now threatening the United States and South Korea.  Kim Jong Un called the U.S. the sworn enemy of North Korea and would launch more missiles and conduct more tests.  This is extremely scary to have a hostile country with actual nuclear devices and missiles.  They are far more capable than Iran, and the future seems uncertain.

This video is about a 42 year old teacher who had an affair with a 15 year old student.  However, when the prosecutor was going to charge for rape, the two got married.  That's right, a 42 year old teacher married a 15 year old with whom she had an affair!  This whole thing is absolutely sick.  I cannot imagine how people want this to happen and let this happen.  What has the world come to?

jamiemelville1

Jan 28, 2013, 9:54:16 PM1/28/13
to adaplangand...@googlegroups.com
http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/01/28/16735211-california-family-missing-after-trip-to-mexico?lite

This NBC article describes a family who never returned from a trip to Mexico. It sits on the idea that cell phones and technology can be used for contact, but it is just as easy to flip the switch, and be unavailable for any communication. The family's phones were all turned off, so now they have no way to contact any of them or have any idea what happened. This article more than anything captures how technology is only helpful to a certain degree, and the idea of not being able to contact someone is a foreign concept in these times.

jamiemelville1

Jan 28, 2013, 9:57:34 PM1/28/13
to adaplangand...@googlegroups.com
http://www.nbcnews.com/technology/technolog/twitter-turns-over-user-info-us-69-percent-requests-1C8145282

This social-media based article shows how social media is not as private as it seems. Making one's account "private" does not mean private, as Twitter announces the amount of government-based requests for user information has piled in. The base of this article sets on the fact that users are not aware that this information can be handed over to government, and that Twitter's goal in releasing this information was to raise that awareness that their information and accounts are more easily accessible than they may think.

Orion Farr

Jan 29, 2013, 10:30:16 AM1/29/13
to adaplangand...@googlegroups.com
In this article by the BBC, an English man in his late 20's was said to be killed by a falling store sign. After being taken to the hospital he later died of a heart attack. This man has to be the unluckiest guy ever, what were the odds of this happening? I mean the store was there for 10 years, and in the 10 years the sign hasn't fallen off, and the exact moment when it did a man was under it. I mean it just goes to show that life can be taken at any time, even if you're safe.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-21230691
In this article by the BBC, the Iranian defence ministry claimed that they have successfully launched a monkey into a sub orbital trajectory. That monkey was said to have survived, but Iran is only 65 years late compared to the US's first monkey in space, Albert. Obviously Iran wants to show off some strength in this conflicting time, and showing some dominance over the skies with ancient rocketry isn't the best display of it. Even so this act shows the progression of space based technology in the hands of non-superpower countries.Maybe the future wars will be fought over the earth rather than on it.

Ben Skalla

Jan 30, 2013, 5:05:11 PM1/30/13
to adaplangand...@googlegroups.com
The debate on gun control has increased dramatically due to the recent shooting in Newton, Connecticut.  I agree with Matt that there would be no reason to fully ban all guns.  However,  I think obtaining a gun should be a very difficult process to go through.  I am unaware of the process required to obtain a gun, but I think that in depth psychological assessments should be required that figure out a person's intentions.  A person should be required to have many references when applying for a gun.  Putting guns in the hands of teachers and school firearms does seem like the best idea.  I personally wouldn't feel too happy to find out that my teachers possessed guns in the class room.

sian.barry

Jan 30, 2013, 5:10:28 PM1/30/13
to adaplangand...@googlegroups.com
I thought this was a really interesting article. At first, it completely shocked me that such restrictions would be put on the membership of boy scouts. Like Grace said, it is an organization filled with pride and discipline, but the word "boy" in boy scout doesn't translate to "straight boy". It is sad that a children's club also participates in the discrimination and prejudice against homosexuality. However, it was reassuring to see that there is work being done on the progress of this issue, as more that 260,000 scouts have protested against the rule. Ashley Fantz successfully raises awareness about a current and progressive subject of debate that is very prominent in society today. Lets hope that the wave of progression hits the boy scouts organization as well in its conquest for reform.

katherine...@gmail.com

Jan 30, 2013, 5:14:44 PM1/30/13
to adaplangand...@googlegroups.com
In today's world, I find it extremely shocking that policies like this are around- especially in the Boy Scouts! I was always under the impression that, since the boy scouts are so centered around fairness and respect, that they would be supportive of everyone, and not blatantly discriminate against people with different views. I agree with Mikaela that this policy seems both warped and hypocritical. Having first heard about this on Twitter, thanks to Neil Patrick Harris, I have a strong feeling that the Boy Scouts of America will finally join this century and recognize the importance of accepting everyone, even if only to keep their public image positive. People everywhere are outraged at this policy, and I think that the public will definitely sway the decision to repeal the ban against homosexuals in the Boy Scouts.

sian.barry

Jan 30, 2013, 5:19:58 PM1/30/13
to adaplangand...@googlegroups.com
This article by Adam McCauley from Time Magazine presented an interesting subject matter that seemed to catch my attention. Like Isabella, I am also interested in photography and I am quite curious to see the movie Zero Dark Thirty. Jonathan Olley, the 27-year-old photographer, presents the atrocities of war for all to see through a camera lens, not a video camera. However, it has the same devastating effect as one can see the horrors of war; his photographs verifies that war is indeed hell. Many people don't realize the difficulty and danger of being a photographer, but Olley's near death experience with a violent explosion that occurred footsteps away from him captivates both of these challenges. Reading Isabella's analysis has motivated me to see this movie, and I'm interested in finding more of Olley's work in photography. It just reminds me how much respect soldiers and photographers deserve for risking their lives, in one case, to protect their country, and in another, to document history.

katherine...@gmail.com

Jan 30, 2013, 5:30:36 PM1/30/13
to adaplangand...@googlegroups.com
Having women in the military is not a brand new idea in the world.  In Israel, for example, women have been heavily involved in the military since its founding in 1948. They even have a law stating that a woman's right to serve any role in their defense force is equal to a man's right to serve any role he chooses. Many other countries, including New Zealand, Canada, Denmark, Germany, and Finland, among others, currently allow women to occupy combat roles. It completely shocks me that not only has the United States remained so behind on allowing women to fight for their country, but also the outrage from various members of the public. Between Facebook statuses from ignorant kids in our school to cartoons like this, I really think that people need to educate themselves before making any statement. No, any random woman will not be able to qualify for a combat position, just like any man can't qualify either. In order to fill that position one must train and build up their strength and go through extensive combat training. If they can't measure up to the standards, they won't pass; sex has nothing to do with this fact. Frankly, I find this cartoon more pathetic than I do offensive. Gary Varvel is degrading women mainly, with his main purpose of criticizing women in the military put on the back burner. The fact that the first reference to women he can think of is a Barbie doll is actually quite sad. I feel bad for people like Mr. Varvel who don't even have the mental capacity to make a worthwhile insult, and instead make themselves seem unintelligent.

Ben Skalla

Jan 30, 2013, 5:38:50 PM1/30/13
to adaplangand...@googlegroups.com
I found this article to be interesting because i have never used a sleep aid, as it says many people use to help fall asleep quicker.  Personally, I find that waking up after a good night's sleep is important to how my day will go.  It makes school easier to deal with when I'm not having to struggle to remain awake and attentive during classes.  Although sleep is important, it is not necessary to spend a lot of money on an expensive bed and sleep aids every night.  Many of the steps that the writer includes are meant to help a person clear their mind.  Distractions, whether its a cell phone or just something thats really on your mind make it much harder to fall asleep.  As the article suggests, trying to eliminate these distractions will help make falling asleep take much less time.

brook...@gmail.com

Jan 30, 2013, 6:44:16 PM1/30/13
to adaplangand...@googlegroups.com
This, in my opinion, is absolutely ridiculous. I understand (I guess) the seriousness of this situation in Australia. However, it's very difficult for me to take this seriously when I have a very immature sense of humor and there are meters of sea foam everywhere off the coast of Australia... And it's actually causing a lot of trouble. Which, to me, is the funniest part. But I do agree with Ben, it's hard to imagine the situation, or the seriousness of it, because this would almost never happen in New Jersey.
Or would it?
Nah, probably not.

brook...@gmail.com

Jan 30, 2013, 6:52:37 PM1/30/13
to adaplangand...@googlegroups.com
I found this pretty interesting. I have never REALLY needed a sleep remedy or sleep aid to get a good night's rest. However, if I show the slightest sign of a cold, I go right to the NyQuil so I can quickly fall asleep without trouble. Admittedly, there are times I wish I had a comfier mattress of some sort, but I don't think the mattress is always the issue. The issue is really restlessness. Once one can overcome their issues and truly just lay their head down on their pillow and simply just relax, they will get a better night's sleep than ever before. I think the expensive and over-advertised mattresses on the television are a waste.

Dylan Panicucci

Jan 30, 2013, 9:24:48 PM1/30/13
to adaplangand...@googlegroups.com
This cartoon is definitely in bad taste.  However, I disagree with women being allowed on the front line.  I am not sexist or anything, I just do not think it is the best decision.  As Isabella says, the average women simply does not have the same upper body strength as a man.  Do not get me wrong, there are plenty of above average women who can kick a man's ass, but the military is filled with above average men.  So, if you put above average men against above average women, the men will win in strength.  What happens when a female soldier gets in hand-to-hand combat with 6' 5", 235 pound enemy man?  Also, it has been known that the male soldiers, no matter how capable the female is, will put themselves at risk to help the female more.  I understand that women want to fight for their country and they deserve that honor, but I simply do not think it is a good idea.  Once again, not sexist.

Dylan Panicucci

Jan 30, 2013, 9:33:55 PM1/30/13
to adaplangand...@googlegroups.com
Like Henri, I think Rick Ross is horrendous, maybe except for a few songs.  I cannot imagine why anyone would want to kill him though.  In this case it is most likely gang related as opposed to a crazed murderer.  The shooter was probably a member of a rival gang to whichever one Ross associates himself with, but I could be wrong.  It is hard to escape the past that he maybe once had.  At least he is alright, and let's hope a full blown gang war does not erupt.  After this he should probably invest in some bullet proof glass and bodyguards.

Orion Farr

Jan 30, 2013, 9:37:44 PM1/30/13
to adaplangand...@googlegroups.com
In response to your article, that idea of not knowing where your family is, is completely terrifying. Especially since they are missing in Mexico with all the extreme drug crimes that have been recently occurring down there. That feeling of not knowing whether they're alive or dead, healthy or not, is such an alien thought to many of us, since technology influences our lives so much. A month is a long time to be lost for, and I wish them and their family and friends the best.

Orion Farr

rippeyrachel

Jan 31, 2013, 4:21:50 PM1/31/13
to adaplangand...@googlegroups.com
Wow! I am so amazed by this!! It really shows how far we've come, seeing this lady has the opportunity to drive as a 105-year -old. I think its so cool that shes lived through the most important century in history. During the 20th century, she saw so many monumental things come to past. I would love to talk to her about all the things she's experienced in her life.

[...]

rippeyrachel

Jan 31, 2013, 4:26:37 PM1/31/13
to adaplangand...@googlegroups.com
 This is a very bold cartoon, taking this new authorization to a highly sarcastic level. I don't know how I feel regarding women fighting in the front lines, because I'm sure the Pentagon wouldn't authorize this unless they were sure it was safe. Of course I doubt many women will be qualified for the front lines, however most likely there will be a few standouts. I agree with Isabella that it will be interesting to see where this takes us.

Julie Daniels

Jan 31, 2013, 4:56:35 PM1/31/13
to adaplangand...@googlegroups.com

No matter how hard the movie industry tries, they are always going to get critiques on their work no matter what it is on. A new movie starring Ashton Kutcher is set to come out in the spring titled “jOBS” depicts the life of very famous and recently passed Steve Jobs. Although his work has influenced millions of people and he has created a billion dollar company, it is still hard to depict who he truly was as a person. I agree with Alexandra when she states that it is next to impossible to accurately show someone’s true character throughout their life in just two short hours on screen. Sometimes the critiques just have to ease off and accept the work that has been presented in front of them.

Julie Daniels

Jan 31, 2013, 5:03:08 PM1/31/13
to adaplangand...@googlegroups.com

The fight to determine when a person is really alive is a controversial one that has been occurring for decades. This, intertwined with the abortion and religion conflicts, results in a huge mess of political and religious ideas. This is just another example of this never ending debate, in which the outcome will change the corse of the future forever. Not only is this man fighting for his babies, but also for them to be recognized as people and hopefully change the outlook of hundreds of people on this subject.

On Monday, January 28, 2013 5:32:40 PM UTC-5, Liz Anderson wrote:
http://www.cnn.com/2013/01/26/us/colorado-fetus-lawsuit/index.html?hpt=hp_bn1

This article is about a man whose wife died along with two twins she was carrying in her womb. He is fighting for these twins to be recognized as people. However the hospital and the hospitals lawyers are fighting that a fetus isnt a person. Therefore they do not want to recognize that this man lost two sons and the hospital is responsible. This article is interesting to me because I side with the hospital, however morally I want to side with the man. I understand that it puts you more at ease and pays more respect to the "children" to refer to them as real people and not a fetus.

Matt Saba

Jan 31, 2013, 5:56:10 PM1/31/13
to adaplangand...@googlegroups.com
This article about the arsonist who is sentenced to death is a sad look into the life of a very messed up person. This person, however does not deserve to be allowed to have the death penalty. For doing something this severe, he should not be allowed to get out of it this easily. In my opinion, the death penalty is an easy way out and nowhere near as much of a deterrent for committing these types of crimes and a life in prison without the chance of parole. The lives of these people who were effected by the fire are forever changed and the only punishment that I see to be fitting is for the person who did this to stay in prison for as long as they live.

Liz Anderson

Jan 31, 2013, 6:01:46 PM1/31/13
to adaplangand...@googlegroups.com
I agree with Elizabeth that this article does definitely cross mutlitple lines. Not only is it not appropriate to post something like this on facebook period, with regards to the recent Newtown tragedies this is absolutely offensive. I will never understand why parents feel the need to be so involved with their childrens lives especially in regards to sporting events. Often times, they are the most angry if their child is not as athletically inclined as they would like.

On Monday, January 28, 2013 5:42:20 PM UTC-5, elizabeth.smith.24 wrote:
[...]

Mikaela Litchfield

Jan 31, 2013, 6:05:33 PM1/31/13
to adaplangand...@googlegroups.com
This article is interesting because if the hospital would declare that the fetuses should be considered people it could be used as in an anti-abortion campaign. That is what I immediately thought of at least. I think it comes down to whether or not the fetus is wanted when it comes to deciding whether or not it could be considered a child, which is not very fair and therefore we should attempt to find another way of deciphering this controversial issue.

Matt Saba

Jan 31, 2013, 6:06:23 PM1/31/13
to adaplangand...@googlegroups.com
This is in response to the article dealing with North Korean missile testing. It is a frightening concept to have a country in control of nuclear weapons be able to set its sights on American soil. That is not to say that it is unprecedented for country toe have weapons that with the press of a button could strike American soil. During the Cold War we were in a similar position; Russia had nuclear weapons in Cuba that could strike many major American cities. Hopefully a solution can be found to the problem with North Korea that involves little to no bloodshed, because a World War III would truly be a bad thing.

Liz Anderson

Jan 31, 2013, 6:07:10 PM1/31/13
to adaplangand...@googlegroups.com
I agree with Rachel! Its incredible that at that age she is able to be so active and be out on the roads. To live to be 105 years old is a serious accomplishment but its amazing that she is able to maintain her lifestyle. I also agree that being able to talk with her would be such an experience! Speaking with the elderly is something that I find very interesting, and to speak with her would be eye opening. Think of all the things she has lived through, the Great Depression, World War 2, The Cold War, the Civil Rights Movement, and so many other things that I would love insight on.

Mikaela Litchfield

Jan 31, 2013, 6:08:45 PM1/31/13
to adaplangand...@googlegroups.com
It's hard to believe that one person can cause so much damage. 91,000 acres is a lot of trees and homes, and it's heartbreaking to hear that five people actually died, and 1000 homes were lost. I agree with you on saying that the severity of this man's crime is heightened because of the widespread effect.

merstriolo

Jan 31, 2013, 6:42:20 PM1/31/13
to adaplangand...@googlegroups.com

That’s a pretty severe crime, but it begs the question: which is the better penalty, a life sentence or a death sentence? The death sentence, also known as capital punishment, is carried out today by fifty-eight nations, and prohibited by ninety-seven. It has been banned by many because of the country’s political and ethical ideologies, but are the other being hurt by still practicing it? Is it merely for moral purposes that they deny use of the penalty? In addition, a life sentence gets the message across much more, because criminals no longer have an escape. A death sentence just cheats them out of the suffering they should face with a life in prison. Just some food for thought…

merstriolo

Jan 31, 2013, 6:51:21 PM1/31/13
to adaplangand...@googlegroups.com

Well, I don’t believe in all of these gun control protests. There shouldn’t be restrictions on the ability for someone to own a gun because it defeats the purpose of the second amendment, that people are allowed to own arms for their protection. The only thing that can stop a bad guy with a gun, is a good guy with a gun, and disarming the general population would only limit self-defense. I heard of a story in China where, assuming you know that you are not allowed to own a knife that exceeds the given dimensions stated by law, a man stabbed dozens of people because, although it was merely a knife, the citizens were not armed and therefore had no way to defend themselves. Just some food for thought…

On Monday, January 28, 2013 6:57:39 PM UTC-5, Matt Saba wrote:

[...]

isabella.cuan

Jan 31, 2013, 7:18:52 PM1/31/13
to adaplangand...@googlegroups.com
I completely agree with Alexandra. Many times, Hollywood takes on these significant projects that more times than not, result in very limited films, no matter the billions of dollars spent on it. The upcoming movie dedicated to Jobs will most likely follow in these footsteps. However, in the article, it was mentioned that they would only be focusing on a specific part of his life. I think this was a very smart choice because how can his life be conveyed in its entirety and complexity and expect to do him justice? It is just not possible. I am eager to see the movie, especially because of Ashton Kutcher's role as the young Jobs-an interesting choice, in my opinion. Hopefully, the movie will provide as much insight as possible into the life of a very accomplished and successful man.

isabella.cuan

Jan 31, 2013, 7:24:43 PM1/31/13
to adaplangand...@googlegroups.com
I, like many others, am shocked that of all groups and societies in America that the Boy Scouts have spoken out against the gay community. Like Mikaela noted, the Boy Scouts traditionally are expected to treat others with fairness and respect, but the act of forbidding gays from the club directly contradicts this very principle. Because gay rights have progressed so much over the last decade, it is sometimes difficult for many of us to understand why groups like the Boy Scouts are not as accepting as many others have become. It just further emphasizes the fact that while gay rights have come along way, there are still obstacles to conquer ahead.

elizabeth.smith.24

elizabeth.smith.24

Jan 31, 2013, 7:57:17 PM1/31/13
to adaplangand...@googlegroups.com
I agree with Alex, that the Vine is not anything new in the technology world. GIFs are all over the place, especially on Tumblr, and SnapChat limits video sending to only 10 seconds. And honestly, spamming a news feed is something good? Most of the time if I don't really know you, I don't want you to post a billion things. If you want to send someone a video, send it privately, not over Twitter, a website that although they say is private if you want it to be, really isn't.

stephen.voc

Jan 31, 2013, 9:13:18 PM1/31/13
to adaplangand...@googlegroups.com

I completely agree with Rachel and Henri!  The tone of this article is simply beautiful.  The fact that this woman is still well-minded enough to drive at such an old age stands as a good reason for the rest of us to hope that we can continue doing the things we love when we get old.  I corroborate with Rachel, talking to this woman regarding all of the things she has seen in her life would be simply amazing.

stephen.voc

Jan 31, 2013, 9:18:04 PM1/31/13
to adaplangand...@googlegroups.com

I absolutely love this political cartoon, Izzy.  It is simply hysterical.  The artist clearly is sarcastically showing Americans that just because women can now partake in the warfare on the front lines, they might not necessarily want to for the same reasons that men might not want to.  Although some might find all of the military gear to be cool, they likely do not find the POW uniform as appealing.  Like Izzy said, it will be interesting to see how the debates regarding this latest issue will pan out.

[...]

Alexandra Chin

Jan 31, 2013, 9:37:59 PM1/31/13
to adaplangand...@googlegroups.com
Regarding: Lawyers for Catholic Hospital

While I do see that this father is very upset and that this is a very sad case, I don't understand why the father would the need to sue the hospital. The hospital did every it could in it's power to save these people. Unfortunately it was not enough and all three died. Now to the main event, a fetus not being considered  a human until given birth to. At 28 weeks, a woman is in her third, and final, trimester and the baby has the ability to blink and maybe even perceive light. It is also at this point that I would say the baby look very much so like the baby that comes out later. If this isn't considered a living human being than I don't know what is. There must be a reason behind the allegations that a baby isn't a living person until it is born because I am fairly sure that it is not their personal views talking here, more so a what can I do to get my client out of this.

Regarding: Combat Barbie

I really don't understand why this is such a big deal. If women want to fight on the front lines, let them. If they don't , then they opt out. How difficult is that for some people to grasp? While I understand the original reasoning behind this decision, I find the argument behind it to fall flat at times. If a woman can do pass the same tests a man can pass then more power to her. This really should be such a big deal, this shouldn't have been an issue in the first place.

jamiemelville1

Feb 1, 2013, 6:00:55 AM2/1/13
to adaplangand...@googlegroups.com

I think that that really demonstrates the obliviousness of some people and how they must be so ignorant to think that posting something like that is okay and it won't stir up the emotions of many people. Even more so it's screwed up that he could even wish that on a school. I agree with Elizabith that it exemplifies the epitome of human stupidity.

jamiemelville1

Feb 1, 2013, 6:07:17 AM2/1/13
to adaplangand...@googlegroups.com
I didn't see the app yet but I don't think it looks like a horrible idea. I think gifs will be something popular among people and it incorporates the mobile social media with the online social media, and clearly that was popular, and still is, with instagram, so I think it was a strong-based idea. People nowadays function with social media always right by their sides.