What It's Like Being An Autistic Mormon Woman

adam loumeau

Jan 28, 2018, 10:39:53 PM1/28/18
to Adam's discussions, Wendy Loumeau, Andre Loumeau
This will be Savannah's experience when she's an adult

Marie Loumeau

Jan 29, 2018, 6:41:13 AM1/29/18
to adams-di...@googlegroups.com, Wendy Loumeau, Andre Loumeau
Fascinating article.

Sent from my iPhone

On Jan 28, 2018, at 9:39 PM, adam loumeau <adaml...@gmail.com> wrote:

This will be Savannah's experience when she's an adult

Christina Loumeau

Jan 29, 2018, 8:02:43 AM1/29/18
to adams-di...@googlegroups.com, Wendy Loumeau, Andre Loumeau
It’s very interesting to read about her perspective as an autistic adult. Very fascinating. Thanks for sharing Adam. Just curious Adam, can you relate to any of these feelings she describes here?

Sent from my iPhone

adam loumeau

Christina Loumeau

Jan 29, 2018, 4:50:28 PM1/29/18
to adams-di...@googlegroups.com, Wendy Loumeau, Andre Loumeau
Maybe I’m on the spectrum 😜I usually find talking to men more enjoyable than women in the church too (generally speaking).

So I’m curious as to why your mission was difficult because of Autism. She talks about needing rules and loving to check boxes. Are you not that way? It seems that’s what you do on a mission more than any other time in your life.

Sent from my iPhone
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to adams-discussi...@googlegroups.com.

adam loumeau

Jan 29, 2018, 5:44:31 PM1/29/18
to adams-di...@googlegroups.com, Wendy Loumeau, Andre Loumeau
Well, because of undiagnosed health concerns, my mission was taxing on me physically. It's for the healthy (thankfully God gave me a car my whole mission or I surely would have gone home early).

But putting that aside, you are "married" to a random guy the whole time. Furthermore, you are constantly navigating complex social situations, particularly if you serve in an area where the church is relatively strong like I did. Working directly with members is a huge huge part of a mission like mine. Southern Californians are very sharp people so they pick up on social quirks much more than say a farmer in Iowa or someone in a third world country who is just happy to be talking to an American.

By the way, I think you prefer talking to men because you're cool 😊