CAF inside a container

Gerry Meyer

Jan 5, 2020, 9:36:38 AM1/5/20
to actor-framework

Is there anything to be said against the idea of using CAF in a Docker container, provided that several cores per container have been configured?

The current trend is towards containers and powerful tools to orchestrate those (Kubernetes).

What I like about CAF is the good use of available cores and the natural decoupling of tasks running in parallel.

It might be possible to establish a communication channel, by using CAF's streaming feature, between the pods running in different nodes.

Would it make sense to use both worlds in parallel or is there a principle or implementation details that would make this approach impossible or useless?

Dominik Charousset

Jan 7, 2020, 1:04:15 AM1/7/20
to actor-f...@googlegroups.com
Conceptually, putting CAF applications into containers is perfectly fine. The nodes only need TCP to speak to each other.

There’s one catch at the moment: you might get some weird behavior when restarting your containers as of 0.17.3. See https://github.com/actor-framework/actor-framework/pull/970 (maybe a good idea to cherry-pick that patch).

Hope that helps.

Dominik

Gerry Meyer

Jan 8, 2020, 3:38:44 PM1/8/20
to actor-framework
Thank you for the tip, then we'll check this out.

-Gerry