New "scope" property

James M Snell

Oct 21, 2013, 11:40:40 AM10/21/13
to activity...@googlegroups.com
A while back I introduced the Audience Targeting extensions
(to,bto,cc,bcc) as a mechanism for identifying the intended primary
and second audiences for an Activity statement. In a number of our
implementation scenarios, however, these properties aren't quite
enough. We've had the need to include the notion of a "scope"... that
is, a property that identifies the broad population to which the
activity or object is relevant.

For example, in our IBM Connections product, various activities can
occur within the confines of specific community groups. Various
actions taken within the scope of those communities are only relevant
to other members of that community, and ought to only be visible to
that population.

In the Activity Streams 2.0 draft, the Audience Targeting extensions
have been folded into the core specification. In addition to these, I
would like to add a new "scope" property to the AS 2.0 core
vocabulary. In AS 2.0 terms, the value of the "scope" property is a
Link Value, meaning that it's value can be either an absolute IRI, an
Object, or an Array of IRIs/Objects (just like pretty much everything
else).

Here's a concrete example:

{
"actor": "acct:j...@example.net",
"verb": "post",
"object": "http://example.com/posts/1",
"to": "acct:sa...@example.net",
"scope": "urn:example:community:foo"
}

Any concerns? Thoughts?

- James

wno...@gmail.com

Oct 21, 2013, 12:13:42 PM10/21/13
to activity...@googlegroups.com
just curious, what's the difference between:

{
  "actor": "acct:j...@example.net",

  "to": "acct:sa...@example.net",
  "scope": "urn:example:community:foo"
}

and

{
  "actor": "acct:j...@example.net",
  "to": "acct:sa...@example.net",
  "cc": "urn:example:community:foo"
}

James M Snell

Oct 21, 2013, 12:28:35 PM10/21/13
to activity...@googlegroups.com
In our implementation, we use "cc" to specifically target members of
the audience who have followed or explicitly expressed an interest in
the action/object. So if I have a Foo Community with three members,
Sally, Martha and Joe.. and Joe is following Sally's posts, we'd end
up with something like:

{
"title": "Sally mentioned Martha in a new post!",
"actor": "acct:sa...@example.net",
"to": "acct:mar...@example.net",
"cc": "acct:j...@example.net",
"scope": "urn:example:community:foo",
}

Yes, the distinction is subtle, and I've gone back and forth on it
myself. However, the way to visualize it would be to view "scope" as
setting up a Venn diagram that identifies the total relevant
population, while to/cc pick out specific targets within that
population.

Another example... imagine a scenario where an application is using
more generic audience targets (i.e.
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-snell-more-link-relations-01)...

{
"title": "Joe posted a new blog entry",
"verb": "post",
"cc": "urn:social:interested",
"scope": "urn:example:community:foo"
}

Upon seeing this, an implementation would, most likely, show some kind
of explicit notification for people who have explicitly expressed an
interest in Joe's activity, but would make the entry visible to all
other members of the Foo Community.

That a bit clearer?

- James
> email to activity-strea...@googlegroups.com.

wno...@gmail.com

Oct 21, 2013, 12:47:53 PM10/21/13
to activity...@googlegroups.com
yeah, the latter example makes more sense... distinguishing between who technically has access to the activity, versus who is notified about the activity.  We struggled with that in Google+ a lot, since the circles specified in a post sort of serve both roles (for example, there's no way to say "I'm fine with this post being public for whoever might stumble across it, but I'm pretty sure only people in circle X *really* care about it, so don't bother highlighting it to other people that follow me).  It's really difficult because whether an activity should be highlighted is often a function of both the sender and receiver.