Verb to describe 'change' of something

Nick Jennings

Dec 7, 2013, 10:59:24 PM12/7/13
to activity...@googlegroups.com
Hi again,

 I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions as to how to describe a change of some sort. For example:

1. An actor changes his name/username

2. An actor changes the topic of a chatroom

How should an ActivityStreams object be build (verb name to use) to describe these types of actions?

Thanks,
Nick

Owen Shepherd

Dec 8, 2013, 7:06:12 AM12/8/13
to activity...@googlegroups.com
"verb": "update"

kevin long

Dec 9, 2013, 2:38:47 PM12/9/13
to activity...@googlegroups.com
+1 update

Craig McClanahan

Dec 9, 2013, 3:29:07 PM12/9/13
to activity...@googlegroups.com
Our internal systems use "modified" for this, but "updated" would also make sense.

My personal preference on tense is that activity stream entries reflect things that have happened, so past tense makes sense.  It looks like the 2.0 spec wants to deal with potential events as well, so present tense would likely fit better.

Craig

Kevin Marks

Dec 9, 2013, 3:41:11 PM12/9/13
to activity-streams
Past tense would imply you need to change it as time passes. Present tense makes sense in the name of the activity, a human readable declension would need localisation in any case.

Nick Jennings

Dec 9, 2013, 4:03:47 PM12/9/13
to activity...@googlegroups.com
Ok, yes I agree `update` makes sense.

However, how would I define exactly what the user wants to update? Seems the sky is the limit of the various things that could be updated, but for example:

1. username
2. topic of a room
3. status message
4. presence (away, do not disturb, etc)

What would these objects look like / how would they differ?