Historical perspective for Activity Streams (Was: Re: Early mockup for activitystrea.ms homepage)

Chris Messina

Feb 1, 2010, 1:12:34 PM2/1/10
to activity...@googlegroups.com
This is a good start:

On Mon, Feb 1, 2010 at 12:40 PM, ronin691 <roni...@gmail.com> wrote:

"Todd, would you be willing to help us draft a bit of messaging around
the
history of this work? You could start with a wiki page called History
— and
just build it out as you see fit? "

Love to!

Start with

1) Jyri's Dad (1982)  - http://www.edu.helsinki.fi/activity/pages/chatanddwr/activitysystem/
2) Prof. Gelernter (1993) - http://cs-www.cs.yale.edu/homes/freeman/lifestreams.html
3) and Jyri (2005) - http://zengestrom.com/blog/2005/04/why_some_social.html

???

For this project, here are my earlier posts:

Chris

--
Chris Messina
Open Web Advocate, Google

Personal: http://factoryjoe.com
Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/chrismessina

This email is:   [ ] shareable    [X] ask first   [ ] private

ronin691

Feb 2, 2010, 7:00:50 AM2/2/10
to Activity Streams

OK, I'm on it. Thanks for those pointers to your previous posts.

Todd

On Feb 1, 12:12 pm, Chris Messina <chris.mess...@gmail.com> wrote:
> This is a good start:
>

> On Mon, Feb 1, 2010 at 12:40 PM, ronin691 <ronin...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > "Todd, would you be willing to help us draft a bit of messaging around
> > the
> > history of this work? You could start with a wiki page called History
> > — and
> > just build it out as you see fit? "
>
> > Love to!
>
> > Start with
>
> > 1) Jyri's Dad (1982)  -
> >http://www.edu.helsinki.fi/activity/pages/chatanddwr/activitysystem/
> > 2) Prof. Gelernter (1993) -
> >http://cs-www.cs.yale.edu/homes/freeman/lifestreams.html
> > 3) and Jyri (2005) -
> >http://zengestrom.com/blog/2005/04/why_some_social.html
>
> > ???
>
> For this project, here are my earlier posts:
>

> http://factoryjoe.com/blog/2008/01/23/the-existential-diso-interview/<http://www.google.com/url?sa=D&q=http%3A%2F%2Ffactoryjoe.com%2Fblog%2...>http://factoryjoe.com/blog/2008/06/11/adding-richness-to-activity-str...<http://www.google.com/url?sa=D&q=http%3A%2F%2Ffactoryjoe.com%2Fblog%2...>http://factoryjoe.com/blog/2008/12/20/where-were-going-with-activity-...<http://www.google.com/url?sa=D&q=http%3A%2F%2Ffactoryjoe.com%2Fblog%2...>
>
> http://factoryjoe.com/blog/2009/09/14/windows-live-and-myspace-ship-s...<http://www.google.com/url?sa=D&q=http%3A%2F%2Ffactoryjoe.com%2Fblog%2...>

Todd Barnard

Feb 6, 2010, 9:43:27 AM2/6/10
to Activity Streams

Need credentials/account permission to create new page. Tried to do
so, but got a "request access" form thrown at me.

Halp.

On Feb 1, 12:12 pm, Chris Messina <chris.mess...@gmail.com> wrote:

> This is a good start:
>

> On Mon, Feb 1, 2010 at 12:40 PM, ronin691 <ronin...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > "Todd, would you be willing to help us draft a bit of messaging around
> > the
> > history of this work? You could start with a wiki page called History
> > — and
> > just build it out as you see fit? "
>
> > Love to!
>
> > Start with
>
> > 1) Jyri's Dad (1982)  -
> >http://www.edu.helsinki.fi/activity/pages/chatanddwr/activitysystem/
> > 2) Prof. Gelernter (1993) -
> >http://cs-www.cs.yale.edu/homes/freeman/lifestreams.html
> > 3) and Jyri (2005) -
> >http://zengestrom.com/blog/2005/04/why_some_social.html
>
> > ???
>
> For this project, here are my earlier posts:

Todd Barnard

Feb 7, 2010, 11:28:20 AM2/7/10
to Activity Streams

Done!

http://wiki.activitystrea.ms/History

Obligatory P.J. Plauger quote, then divided into three sections
( Ideasion, Persuasive precedent, and Implementation )

A few quick things for the group;

1 - I did not use classic MLA citation format, instead I just wrote in
plain English with hypertext text links so the information is easily
read by everyone. Should I use MLA?

2 - If your company/service is already using the activity streams
spec, but you don't see it listed, please provide me with the exact
day and announcement blog post URL, so I can add it.

3 - Please bring any format corrections, factual omissions/errors, or
additional precedent(s) to my immediate attention - Thanks!

Todd Barnard
Abstractioneer
(512) 850-6799

On Feb 1, 12:12 pm, Chris Messina <chris.mess...@gmail.com> wrote:

> This is a good start:
>

> On Mon, Feb 1, 2010 at 12:40 PM, ronin691 <ronin...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > "Todd, would you be willing to help us draft a bit of messaging around
> > the
> > history of this work? You could start with a wiki page called History
> > — and
> > just build it out as you see fit? "
>
> > Love to!
>
> > Start with
>
> > 1) Jyri's Dad (1982)  -
> >http://www.edu.helsinki.fi/activity/pages/chatanddwr/activitysystem/
> > 2) Prof. Gelernter (1993) -
> >http://cs-www.cs.yale.edu/homes/freeman/lifestreams.html
> > 3) and Jyri (2005) -
> >http://zengestrom.com/blog/2005/04/why_some_social.html
>
> > ???
>
> For this project, here are my earlier posts:

Chris Messina

Feb 8, 2010, 1:17:46 AM2/8/10
to activity...@googlegroups.com
This is a great start Todd.

I think it's also important to note the contributions of Martin Atkins, Monica Keller, Rob Dolin, and others who have been instrumental in helping to write up portions of the spec and offer the initial implementations and ideas that have guided us along the way.

Perhaps it would make sense to add a section about writing the spec and developing the schema?

Todd Barnard

Feb 8, 2010, 12:50:31 PM2/8/10
to Activity Streams

" I think it's also important to note the contributions of Martin
Atkins, Monica Keller, Rob Dolin, and others who have been
instrumental in helping to write up portions of the spec...Perhaps it

would make sense to add a section about writing the spec and
developing the schema?"

Absolutely. But there is already a "Contributors" page:

http://wiki.activitystrea.ms/Contributors

Is that what you are asking for? Or another one in addition to that?
Let me know.

Todd Barnard
Abstractioneer
(512) 850-6799

> > activity-strea...@googlegroups.com<activity-streams%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>

Chris Messina

Feb 8, 2010, 5:12:25 PM2/8/10
to activity...@googlegroups.com
Hrm, looks like we need to build that out.

Still, the Contributors page has more to do with licensing and IPR than historical background. I guess a simple link from the history page would suffice.

Separately, what do you think about including a diagram from Activity Theory?