Verb 'observe'

Nick Jennings

Dec 7, 2013, 9:43:09 PM12/7/13
to activity...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

 I was wondering how to describe an act of observing the attendees in a room. For example an IRC chat room.

 Is 'observe' a suitable verb for that? Or is there something already defined that might be a better fit? I noticed 'watch' but that has a bit of a little different meaning.

Thanks,
Nick

James M Snell

Dec 9, 2013, 2:54:52 PM12/9/13
to activity...@googlegroups.com
Hmm.. well, that depends really on what you're wanting to accomplish.
If you're simply wanting to make a statement that a particular user is
in an IRC chat room, you can use the "at" verb".

{
"actor": "acct:j...@example.org",
"verb": "at",
"object": "irc://freenet.net#foo"
}

- James

Nick Jennings

Dec 9, 2013, 4:01:20 PM12/9/13
to activity...@googlegroups.com
Hi James,

 Actually I'd like to describe that a user wants to check, or has checked, the attendance of a room. I want to indicate intent, so that it's possible to response to the object with a user-list (or perhaps single 'at' object for each user in the room?)

James M Snell

Dec 9, 2013, 9:04:49 PM12/9/13
to activity...@googlegroups.com
Ok, that's a bit trickier then. You could model it in a number of
ways. One possibility off the top of my head...

{
"actor": "acct:j...@example.org",
"verb": "observe",
"object": {
"objectType": "http://example.org/Attendance",
"of": "irc://freenet.net#someroom",
"members": [
"acct:ma...@example.com",
"acct:mar...@example.net"
]
}
}

In other words, I've created a custom object type that represents that
state that my actor is observing.

- James

☮ elf Pavlik ☮

Dec 9, 2013, 10:57:30 PM12/9/13
On 12/10/2013 03:04 AM, James M Snell wrote:
> Ok, that's a bit trickier then. You could model it in a number of
> ways. One possibility off the top of my head...
>
> {
> "actor": "acct:j...@example.org",
> "verb": "observe",
> "object": {
> "objectType": "http://example.org/Attendance",
> "of": "irc://freenet.net#someroom",
> "members": [
> "acct:ma...@example.com",
> "acct:mar...@example.net"
> ]
> }
> }
>
> In other words, I've created a custom object type that represents that
> state that my actor is observing.
I wonder how it could with schema.org + online-presence.net + fictional
example.org terms? maybe something in this direction... (please note
setting default vocabulary with @vocab -
http://json-ld.org/spec/latest/json-ld/#default-vocabulary)

{
"@context": {
"@vocab": "http://schema.org/",
"opo": "http://online-presence.net/opo/ns#",
"ex": "http://example.org/"
"opo:hasPresenceComponent": { "@type": "@id" }
},
"@type": "CheckAction",
"agent": {
"@id": "acct:j...@example.org",
"@type": "Person"
},
"object": {
"@id": "irc://freenet.net#someroom",
"@type": "opo:SharingSpace"
},
"result": {
"@type": "ItemList",
"itemListElement": [
{
"@id": "acct:ma...@example.com",
"@type": "Person",
"opo:declaresOnlinePresence": {
"opo:hasPresenceComponent": "opo:DoNotDisturb"
}
},
{
"@id": "acct:robom...@example.net",
"@type": "ex:Bot",
"opo:declaresOnlinePresence": {
"opo:hasPresenceComponent": "opo:Available"
}
}
]
}
}
i tried to describe this document in a way that it has no *Literals* but
only *IRIs*

so for example by dereferencing
http://online-presence.net/opo/ns#Availalbe one could at some point get
labels to display in UI even already in many languages :)