Activista Happy Hour This THURSDAY: All out for Val and FUREE!

npalegre

Aug 12, 2013, 8:01:43 PM8/12/13
to activista-...@googlegroups.com

Dear Activistas,

This month we're partnering with Families United for Racial & Economic Equality (FUREE) for our August movement happy hour that brings together social justice activists, organizers and community leaders.

Some of you may have already heard that FUREE's Executive Director, Valery Jean, has been in the hospital since late last month and needs to undergo brain surgery. We're all praying for her and want to come together to show Val, her family and FUREE that we stand with them.

WHAT: Activista Happy Hour + $raiser to Support Valery & FUREE

WHERE: Cherry Tree Bar, 65 4th Ave, BK (btwn Dean & Bergen)
WHEN: Thursday, August 15th, 7-midnight

RSVP and invite your friends via the Facebook event page.

There will be no charge at the door, but we will be making a pitch for donations to support (and celebrate!) FUREE's great work and to help cover Valery's medical expenses. Please bring cash, your checkbook or credit card info to input into the laptop we'll have set up for making contributions. Donations are not required, but are greatly appreciated. There will also be a giant get-well card at the happy hour for everyone to sign.

FUREE is a Brooklyn-based multiracial organization led mostly by women of color. They mobilize low-income and working families to build power and win housing, jobs and justice for all.  Click here if you can’t make the happy hour, but still want to support their kick-ass work.

Join us again at the Cherry Tree Bar. Cheep drinks, a lovely backyard, and a big spillover side room.  It's just blocks from the Atlantic-Pacific B, D, N, Q, R, 2, 3, 4, 5.

The get-together this Thursday serves as the August edition of the monthly happy hour (3rd Thursday of every month) co-hosted by Activista and the Movement Space Project as part of our ongoing effort to build community, partner with and support rad groups, and ultimately work to open our own new organizing and social hub in NYC.

If your organization might want to partner with us for future happy hours, be sure to hit us up.

See you this Thursday from 7-midnight at the Cherry Tree!

Love and solidarity,

Activista Happy Hour Team