Remotipart conflict error resulting in a Stack too deep

Jeff Surrett

Dec 26, 2017, 7:20:56 PM12/26/17
to ActiveScaffold : Ruby on Rails Gem
I am trying to use remotipart to upload a file using an AJAX form through active scaffold. When I install the remotipart gem, and try to access a form, I get:
A SystemStackError occurred in families#index:

  stack level too deep

I am using the master branch of active_scaffold from the git repository, Rails 5.1.4, Remotipart gem 1.3.1, Ruby 2.4.1.

Steps to Reproduce:
  • Create new rails 5 app
  • Add the active_scaffold gem and the remotipart gem
  • Generate a new active_scaffold (rails g active_scaffold:resource User name:string)
  • Start the server
  • Try to access the resource

I get the same error with or without any javascript assets. The following just seems to repeat indefinitely.

remotipart (1.3.1) lib/remotipart/render_overrides.rb:16:in `render_with_remotipart'
/Users/jsurrett/.rbenv/versions/2.4.3/lib/ruby/gems/2.4.0/bundler/gems/active_scaffold-1d3e30630ad5/lib/active_scaffold/extensions/action_controller_rendering.rb:14:in `render'
remotipart (1.3.1) lib/remotipart/render_overrides.rb:16:in `render_with_remotipart'
/Users/jsurrett/.rbenv/versions/2.4.3/lib/ruby/gems/2.4.0/bundler/gems/active_scaffold-1d3e30630ad5/lib/active_scaffold/extensions/action_controller_rendering.rb:14:in `render'

Any suggestions?

Sergio Cambra

Jan 2, 2018, 6:07:35 AM1/2/18
to actives...@googlegroups.com, Jeff Surrett
I'm afraid they are not compatible, if they would use prepend and super,
instead of alias, it should work. However, I guess it isn't possible to
override a method twice, once using alias and once using prepend.

Prepend is the recommended way for newer ruby versions, I guess they still
using alias to support ruby < 2.0