The future of the database.com gem

Quinton Wall

Mar 25, 2013, 7:02:21 PM3/25/13
to activesalesforce
Hi all,

I promised to loop back re the issues with pull requests not being merged and the future of the database.com gem.

I met with folks from across the company (Salesforce and Heroku). One of the primary reasons that we created the gem in the first place was to stop the fragmentation of approaches to access the salesforce APIs via Ruby. Most of us have been active and passionate in this space for a long time now, and fragmentation is never a good thing.

It looks like we are headed in that direction again with new projects like Eric awesome work with Restforce.

I proposed, and got support for, forming a core committee responsible for owning the ruby 'project'. The discussion was a committee formed by a chair (I'm proposing the dir of open source programs here at Salesforce), a salesforce R&D rep, a heroku R&D rep, and the rest made up of committee members.

Does this sound like a good plan? It would effectively mean, this group owns the code and repo, and manages pull requests, maintenance etc with a direct line to Salesforce Heroku R&D. We would also look at trying to bring this committee together on a annual/bi-annual basis to keep the project moving forward.

If this sounds good, I would suggest the first decision needs to be use the existing gem (with pull requests merged) or use restforce as the basic going forward.

Anyway....hope this helps. Any other suggestions are definitely appreciated!

Scott Smith

Mar 25, 2013, 8:08:29 PM3/25/13
to activesa...@googlegroups.com
Hi Quinton,

I've have very good success with the databasedotcom gem and would like for its maintenance to continue forward.  It is convenient to have "most of the trappings" of activerecord available. That being said, the general applicability of Restforce would also be useful for those that aren't using activerecord.

Anyway....hope this helps. Any other suggestions are definitely appreciated!

Scott Smith

http://twitter.com/_ofd (OldFartDeveloper)

David Bock

Mar 25, 2013, 8:51:56 PM3/25/13
to activesa...@googlegroups.com, activesa...@googlegroups.com
I'm using the databasedotcom gem on several projects, and have several homegrown things I add to it.  I'd love to see it move forward.  I'd love to see some 'contributing' instructions too... About getting the tests running, what kind of conventions you want in place, etc.

Sent from my iPad.  Please excuse any brvity, punctuation; or spalling mistakes.

Joel Schaubert

Mar 26, 2013, 7:26:47 PM3/26/13
to activesa...@googlegroups.com
Quinton,
I've been using the database.com gem and have found the active record compliance to be very valuable.

Joel Schaubert

Chris F.

Mar 27, 2013, 7:31:46 AM3/27/13
to activesa...@googlegroups.com

Hi,

I've used databasedotcom gem in the past and would really like to see it live on and move forward. Looking at the restforce gem for the first time, this looks like a really good approach as well...

Just to throw this out there, but maybe the two project could somehow be linked together?  I am thinking of how the Sunspot gem (which provides a nice DSL for Solr that easily extend AR)  uses the rsolr gem (a generic lower-level REST client for Solr). Maybe databasedotcom could depend on the restforce gem, which would allow databasedotcom to focus on working out a nice DSL that can easily extend AR?

However, this might be too much of a rewrite of good existing code for both projects...

best,chris.

Joel Dietz

Apr 3, 2013, 4:19:54 AM4/3/13
to activesa...@googlegroups.com
Thank for pushing this forward Q. I think all you really need is one or two resources w/ some dedicated time to keep pushing things together. Most of these pull requests are pretty trivial to merge, but someone needs to review them on at least a weekly basis. Consequently, the organization of the committee isn't so important to me, just the commitment of resources.

As for the RestForce vs. Databasedotcom this might be a good subject for a poll / surveymonkey. At the moment there are a lot of people actively engaged using some form of each, and it will take a bit of effort to engage them.

David Bock

Jun 5, 2013, 12:45:41 PM6/5/13
to activesa...@googlegroups.com
This topic has been silent for some time, and I'm about to be in a position where I care again.  Anything happening the community should know about?