Jobs @ Duolingo: Multiple ML/NLP Research Openings

Burr Settles

May 8, 2017, 10:23:05 AM5/8/17
to Active Learning (Machine Learning)
Duolingo is currently hiring several research and data scientist positions. We already have a strong group of interdisciplinary scholars focused on innovative applied research at the intersection of machine learning, computational linguistics, and cognitive science, and we are expanding quickly: https://www.duolingo.com/jobs

Duolingo is the world's largest online language learning service with more than 150 million users worldwide. Our apps have been selected as Apple's iPhone App of the Year and Google's Best of the Best for Android several times. Our scientists split their time between primary research on key research problems (publication is encouraged), and translating these research findings into operational product features that improve learning and engagement outcomes for millions.

Candidates interested in NLP, speech processing, applied machine learning, and/or educational data mining should apply!

See the full advertisements for two positions below.

Cheers,
Burr Settles

RESEARCH SCIENTIST & ENGINEER, PHD
Develop next-generation technology that improves how millions of people learn.

Duolingo scientists and engineers have reinvented how more than 150 million people around the world are learning. We are looking for talented people who bring fresh, interdisciplinary ideas to our products... with a particular focus on machine learning, natural language processing, human-computer interaction, and educational data mining.

As part of the research & development group, you will work on specific projects critical to Duolingo’s needs, with opportunities to collaborate across teams and take on new projects as our fast-paced startup grows and evolves. Examples include measuring, predicting, and improving outcomes for learning, social engagement, or revenue. We need our technical staff to be versatile, display leadership qualities, and be enthusiastic about how to tackle new problems across the entire product line as we continue to innovate.

Responsibilities
- Generate ideas for product changes that improve key metrics
- Analyze data using billions of Duolingo student activity logs
- Synthesize ideas from diverse research areas like computer science, linguistics, econometrics, and cognitive psychology to advance the state of the art
- Work with other world-class engineers and designers to prototype and test your ideas
- Develop, release, and maintain services based on your findings
- Keep up with the field by publishing and attending relevant conferences

Requirements
- A PhD in computer science or relevant technical field
- Programming experience in one or more of the following: Python, Java, C++
- Familiarity with machine learning and statistics
- Excellent communication skills

Exceptional candidates will have
- Experience in interdisciplinary research areas such as natural language processing, human-computer interaction, educational data mining, etc.
- Good understanding of statistical analysis; experience with statistical packages such as R, MATLAB, etc.
- A publication record in top journals or conferences
- Experience with SQL and working with data warehouses
- Familiarity with AWS cloud computing or front-end coding (web, Android, or iOS)
- Familiarity with linguistics, econometrics, or cognitive psychology a big plus!

DATA SCIENTIST
Play a key role in analyzing data to improve how people learn.

As a Data Scientist at Duolingo, you will be a pivotal member of our engineering staff by analyzing data to dissect and improve how people learn using our products. The data analyst will be a meticulous, curious, and analytic individual who has a passion of diving into data, organizing it, and using A/B tests to understand how our users learn.

Responsibilities
- Actively analyze, gain insight from, and understand user data to make queries and reports about learning
- Receive questions from Duolingo product teams, understand them, and determine the data and analyses needed to answer them
- Produce strategic insights to help improve the user experience and learning experience
- Identify and clearly articulate insights drawn from data, present findings and recommendations
- Help design and develop A/B tests for Duolingo product teams, and obtain necessary data from them
- Be actively involved in the development of of our analytics tools for A/B testing, segmentation, and funnel analysis
- Advise teams about data capturing needs
- Document analysis methodologies, conclusions, and actions taken based on data

Requirements
- BS in a quantitative field such as Computer Science, Mathematics, or Statistics
- 2+ years of experience in the game industry, or similarly sophisticated customer-facing digital business
- Experience with SQL and working with data warehouses
- Good understanding of statistical analysis; experience with statistical packages such as R, MATLAB, SPSS, SAS, Stata, etc.
- Experience with the programming languages Python and Java
- Excellent communication skills
- Be able to work effectively with people at various levels of engineering within Duolingo

Exceptional candidates will have
- PhD in a quantitative field such as Computer Science, Mathematics, or Statistics
- Experience in predictive analytics, segmentation, and related areas
- Experience in experimental design
- Experience in “big data” systems such as Hadoop, Hive, Redshift, BigQuery