Active_fedora first try. Install, test, console tour

Jacob Larsen

Apr 7, 2010, 8:08:39 AM4/7/10
to active...@googlegroups.com

Hi all

Just wanted to share my first experiences on active fedora with you. Hopefully it can be helpful to both adopters and mediashelf.

I’ve followed the documentation (http://projects.mediashelf.us/wiki/active-fedora/Documentation) online as accurate as possible.

I.m running Ubuntu 9 based linux distro (Mint).

Installing: (http://projects.mediashelf.us/wiki/active-fedora/Setting_up_Fedora_and_Solr_for_use_with_ActiveFedora)

Tried to use the Fedora/Solr Unix bundle as described in the wiki (Se link above). Gave me an old version of fedora (3.2.1) with no data In fedora, but a usable solr index.

Deleted all that.

Installed fedora 3.3 + solr 1.4 using the instructions above.

Tried to start solr, but it failed with the following error: SEVERE: org.apache.solr.common.SolrException: Error loading class 'schema.UnicodeNormalizationFilterFactory'

Changed $FEDORA_HOME/solr/conf/solrconf.xml   <abortOnConfigurationError>${solr.abortOnConfigurationError:false}</abortOnConfigurationError> from “true” to “false”.

Sorl + fedora now works (But I guess there may still be Unicode errors in the solr index???)

Getting gems, code and dependencies

I guess active_fedora has two repositories at the moment. The BitBucket as described on the wiki, and one at Github. I chose the first one. No problems so afar.

Dependencies gave a few problems. First I needed some extra ruby libraries, that Ubuntu didn’t have:

sudo apt-get install libopenssl-ruby

sudo apt-get install ruby1.8-dev

sudo apt-get install irb

uby

I also needed the following gems

activeresource (2.3.5)

hoe (2.6.0)  (1.11 as described in the wiki made the test fail)

Then “rake spec” passed 65 of 66 tests – I took that for OK

Console tour http://projects.mediashelf.us/wiki/active-fedora/ActiveFedora_Console_Tour:

Really good tutorial. But actually a little hard to find. Please consider rename it to “getting started” or “tutorial” etc.

The “tour” went fine. Only small error is in the “Finding Objects” section.

solr_result = ActiveFedora::SolrService.instance.conn.query('conforms_to_field:info\:fedora/afmodel\:OralHistory')  did’t work for me. A little look at the index (through luke (http://www.getopt.org/luke/)) helped me to change the query to:

solr_result = ActiveFedora::SolrService.instance.conn.query('active_fedora_model_s:info\:fedora/afmodel\:OralHistory')

Also the Base.find(:all) didn’t work for me. Failed with: NameError: uninitialized constant Base.

Allover impression.

General there are some references to old software versions. Everything seems to work fine with new versions – but it looks from the wiki like the project is old and isn’t maintained.

This took me half a day, and it was indeed worth it. Hope that others can do this exercise, a little faster with my hints.

I’ll keep familiarize myself with ruby/rails/fedora through Active Fedora and will keep posting my experiences.

I will look forward to a beta version of Hydrenga.

Thanks

Jacob

http://support.kb.dk/images/kb_logo.jpg

Det Kongelige Bibliotek
Nationalbibliotek og Københavns Universitetsbibliotek

Jacob Larsen
Civil Ingeniør | Software Engineer

Det Kongelige Bibliotek | The Royal Library
Digital Infrastruktur og Services | Digital Infrastructure and Services
tel +45 3347 4527 | j...@kb.dk

Matthew Zumwalt

Apr 7, 2010, 3:38:36 PM4/7/10
to active...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jacob.

Thanks for the feedback.  I didn't realize how much has changed in the past month!  I've rearranged the Documentation page as you recommended and updated the console tour to take advantage of new conveniences:  http://projects.mediashelf.us/wiki/active-fedora/Getting_Started

I'm going through now and updating the other documentation, especially the links to the old bitbucket code repository.

Matt Zumwalt
MediaShelf, LLC

<image001.jpg>
Det Kongelige Bibliotek
Nationalbibliotek og Københavns Universitetsbibliotek
Jacob Larsen
Civil Ingeniør | Software Engineer

Det Kongelige Bibliotek | The Royal Library
Digital Infrastruktur og Services | Digital Infrastructure and Services
tel +45 3347 4527 | j...@kb.dk

Jacob Larsen

Apr 7, 2010, 4:16:03 PM4/7/10
to active...@googlegroups.com

Great Matt

Btw. I have also installed hydrangea following http://github.com/projecthydra/hydrangea/blob/master/README.textile and http://docs.google.com/View?id=ddrmhvjh_181gj9b7rcv and it worked fine. I have a clean hydrangea installation running.

I am now ready to start coding myself.

/Jacob