Week 61 Actions

Actions for Americans

Jan 30, 2018, 12:14:18 AM1/30/18
to Actions for Americans
Hi all!

I have to apologize for and explain the sporadic, short, and late actions this month. All month, I've been lucky to work with the Houston GLBT Political Caucus' candidate screening process. Because of the INCREDIBLE number of candidates running this year, The Caucus split up into multiple screening committees, and I participated in statewide elections (i.e., Governor, Senator, etc.) and US congressional races, plus a few county-wide races. It was so heartening to speak with strong candidates running for office, in Texas, on both sides of the aisle, who are fighting to support equality, ethics, and the American Dream. Some of them have had years of experience in the political arena. Some of them are brand new to the field. But every single one had passion for upholding the rights of their neighbors and showing America and Texas that we are stronger together, that there is more that unites us than divides us.

Now that these great candidates have stepped up to run for office, we need to get to work to get them elected!

1. Call your MoCs to pass a clean DREAM Act
I keep seeing people say that the DREAMers have until March before Congress needs to pass anything. That's simply false. After Trump's announcement to end DACA, the renewal process was discontinued. That means that any DACA recipient whose renewal fell in the last few months has not been able to renew their protected status and is no longer protected from deportation. That is unacceptable. Congress must act now.

ReadNPR.org: Nearly 9,000 DACA Teachers Face an Uncertain Future

2. Find out who's on your 2018 primary ballot
Figuring out who you want to vote for can be tough, for sure. Instead of waiting to research candidates the day before you head to the polls (which I have done frequently!), start your research now, so you can research each race at a time, feel less overwhelmed, and maybe even get a chance to meet the candidates ahead of Election Day. If you like a particular candidate, volunteer for them!

Find out when your primary race isNCSL.org: 2018 State Primary Election Dates
Find out if your primary is open or closed and what that meansNCSL: Primary Types
Find your sample ballotHarris CountyTravis County,  Cook County , L.A. CountySan Francisco County (for more, google "your county" primary ballot)

3. Volunteer to help Pennsylvania flip the 18th
We've seen time and again that the current leadership in Congress has no interest in acting as a check and balance to the executive branch. Help elect congressional members who will be the backstop that we need. Pennsylvania has a special election on March 13th. Help energize constituents there to get out and vote!

CallPennsylvania Together Call Information
Write: Pennsylvania Together Postcard Campaign
For moreReuters.com: Pennsylvania Race to Test Democrats' Hopes for Anti-Trump Wave

That's it for this week. Keep asking your friends if they're registered to vote, and if they need help getting that done. Facing resistance from friends who hate politics? Try asking them if there are any issues they're concerned or frustrated about. That may be enough to get them motivated to go to the polls. It's going to take all of us to get some common sense and fairness back into our political system. Make sure your friends and family have a seat at the table!

Much love,
Marieke
@actionsUSA