Week 68 Actions

Actions for Americans

Mar 19, 2018, 11:03:37 PM3/19/18
to Actions for Americans
Hi all!

The news this week has been even more of a circus than usual for this administration. While reports of Tillerson's ouster and more Stormy Daniels drama filled the news cycle, the Senate quietly passed legislation that rolls back much of the financial protections that were designed to prevent another mortgage-driven financial crisis. But we also saw change come to Pennsylvania proving that when we work together, we win. Let's keep it up!

Useful resource for finding your elected officials (save the numbers in your phone!!): myreps.datamade.us
Tips on effective communication with elected officials, see Chapter 4 Advocacy Tactics: Indivisible Guide: Local Advocacy Tactics that Work

1. Call your Senators to end US participation in the war in Yemen
Bipartisan resolution S.J. Res. 54 is a rare opportunity for Congress to take back constitutional war making authority and declare Trump's war in Yemen unauthorized. The Senate may vote on it as early as tomorrow, so make this call first!

2. March for our Lives on Saturday, March 24
We're taking our MoCs' thoughts and prayers and turning them into action. It's long past time our lawmakers make students' lives and safety a priority and pass common-sense gun safety legislation.

Find an event near youMarch For Our Lives
Keep calling your state legislatorsNY Times: Florida Governor Signs Gun Limits into Law

3. Get ready for spring recess
This time next week, Congress heads into their spring recess for two weeks. That gives you two weeks to make your voice heard in person. Hold your MoCs accountable for their inaction to reduce gun violence, their votes to unravel Wall Street reform, their votes on the GOP Tax Scam, and more.

ReadIndivisible March Recess Toolkit
Find a town hall near youTownHallProject.com

4. Call your MoCs to oppose increased funding of deportation
The government runs out of money (again) on March 23, but this time they're hoping to pass an "omnibus" spending bill that will go through September (instead of a short-term "continuing resolution", like the kind they've been passing for months). Negotiations are nearly done, but one remaining issue is the funding level for immigration enforcement activities. Make a difference by telling your MoCs that you oppose more funding for Trump's deportation machine.

ReadWashington Post: Democrats Show Little Willingness to Fight GOP ahead of Spending Deadline
SayIndivisible Spending Bill Resource and Script

6. Call your MoCs to vote NO on school voucher bills HR 5199 and S. 2517
School vouchers are a priority of Education Secretary Betsey DeVos, and would divert funding away from public schools to families who want to send their children to private schools. There are currently two voucher bills in the House and the Senate. Make sure your MoCs know that their constituents do NOT support vouchers. Our public schools need more funding, not less.

WatchCBS News: Secretary of Education Betsy DeVos on Guns, School Choice and Why People Don't like Her
For moreNetwork for Public Action: Stop the Federal Voucher Program before it gets Started
Say: "Hi, I'm a constituent of Senator/Representative ______ and I'm calling today to encourage them to vote no on any bill that supports school vouchers, including HR 5199 / S. 2517. Our public schools need more funding, not less, and diverting money to families who can afford private school - even with a voucher - would only benefit the wealthy. My zip code is _____."

For our Texans:
1. Consider attending your County or Senate District Convention on Saturday, March 24
County and Senate district conventions are where delegates are selected for that political party. Delegates are the folks who help shape party platforms, elect leadership, and update party rules. You can attend a local convention even if you don't want to be a delegate but want to have your voice heard, or just observe how the process works.

For more, including info to find your local conventionNews 4 San Antonio: Here's How Texans can get Involved in their Party Conventions

That's all for this week. Good luck to everyone involved in the Illinois primary tomorrow!

Much love,
Marieke
@actionsUSA