Week 58 Actions

Actions for Americans

Jan 1, 2018, 7:18:21 PM1/1/18
to Actions for Americans
Hi all!

With congressional offices closed for the holidays, this week's actions will be a bit different than usual. Let's use this week to set our intentions for 2018, rest, rejuvenate, and continue learning about issues that impact each of us, our neighbors, and our world. Happy New Year!

Useful resource for finding your elected officials (save the numbers in your phone!!): myreps.datamade.us
Tips on effective communication with elected officials, see Chapter 4 Opportunity 4: Indivisible Guide: Local Advocacy Tactics that Work

1. Set your priorities, goals, and resistance resolutions for 2018
Research shows that setting goals helps us progress both individually and collectively. Take a few minutes, write down the top 3 areas that are most important to you, and set a goal for how you're going to make a difference in each area. Is voting rights a priority for you? Set an intention to volunteer once a month to help inform people in your community about their rights, or volunteer to be a poll watcher. Or donate once a month to an organization like Mi Familia Vota or Let America Vote. If climate change is your priority, consider what steps you can take every day to reduce your environmental impact, talk to your city council monthly to encourage them to support environmental initiatives, or donate to groups like the Environmental Defense Fund or the Natural Resources Defense Council. Whatever your goals are, make sure they're SMART: Specific, Measurable, Action Oriented, Realistic, and Time-bound.

For moresciencemag.org: Goal Setting Strategies
Seed list of topics: Voting rights, racial equality, gender equality, health care, reproductive health care, living wages, climate change, housing, education, ethics, GOTV!

 2. Check out what to expect in 2018

3. Join a local activist group
If you're not currently part of a local activist group, join one! There is power in numbers, and the energy I get from being surrounded by my fellow resistors is huge. Plus, we have fun!

4. Find out when your next election is and mark your calendar!
Voting is vital to the health of our democracy. So make it a priority by finding out your next election date (or block of early voting if you have that), and put it in your calendar today, with a reminder a week out, at least, to research candidates on your ballot.

That's it for this week. If you have time to call, email, fax, or write a letter to your MoCs, we still need to push them on protecting DREAMers, funding CHIP long term, and passing a Net Neutrality bill. 2018 is going to be busy!

Much love,
Marieke
@actionsUSA