Week 59 Actions

Actions for Americans

Jan 7, 2018, 7:10:53 PM1/7/18
to Actions for Americans
Hi all!

It's time to roll up our sleeves and get to work! Between pushing Congress to pass legislation that helps Americans and working to Get Out the Vote (GOTV) to elect responsible, pragmatic leaders in 2018, there is a lot to do. Every little bit helps, so even if you can only do one action a week, keep it up!

Useful resource for finding your elected officials (save the numbers in your phone!!): myreps.datamade.us
Tips on effective communication with elected officials, see Chapter 4 Opportunity 4: Indivisible Guide: Local Advocacy Tactics that Work

1. Call your MoCs to pass the DREAM Act
We've been talking about this for months, and now Congress' time is running out to pass legislation that protects DACA recipients ahead of its expiration. What does it mean if Congress doesn't pass the DREAM Act? People who have only known America as home will no longer be protected from deportation, and they, their families, and communities will suffer as a result.

2. Call your MoCs and tell them to protect the Iranian nuclear deal
The President has been increasing his rhetoric against the Iranian nuclear deal that successfully blocked Iran from getting a nuclear weapon, and helped keep the US out of war. Starting January 11, the President will face legal deadlines to continue or scrap the deal. Congress has the power to act to re-certify the deal. Make sure your MoCs know that you want them to protect the deal and keep us out of war.

Background: Indivisible.org: Fate of the Iran Deal
For morePolitico: How Trump could kill the Iran Nuclear Deal in January

3. Call your MoCs and tell them that any infrastructure bills should not line the pockets of private investors
Generally when you hear about infrastructure spending, it's a good thing. Repairing roads and bridges, updating our energy grid, and keeping our drinking water safe all bring great benefits to our communities and help our businesses thrive. The President and GOP leadership in Congress are expected to announce their infrastructure plan on January 11. Unfortunately, the plan is likely to include selling off assets (privatizing them) or cutting other critical programs to find funds for infrastructure. That money will then be sent to private companies twice: once when the government subsidizes private investment in projects through tax credits, and again through the tolls that private companies put in place to pay back their investment. Private companies work to make a profit. Governments work to benefit their people. We need to keep the two separate.

For moreIndivisible.org: Trump's Billionaire Infrastructure Scam
ReadChicago Tribune: Mixed Signals on Infrastructure Plan
Say: "Hi, I'm a constituent of Senator/Representative _____ and I'm calling because I've heard the President plans to work his proposed infrastructure plan largely through private businesses. Private businesses are in the profit-making business and don't have my or my neighbors' interests as a priority. Infrastructure work is needed to get basic work and life done in our country and should be done for the benefit of all, not the profit of few. My zip code is _____."

4. Make sure you're registered to vote
The deadline to register to vote in 2018 primaries is coming up, and varies by state. In Texas, your last day to register is February 5 ahead of the start of Primary early voting on February 20.  Take a few minutes to verify that your voter registration is current, and that your address is correct.

Verifyheadcount.org

5. Call your local school board to ensure your local schools are prioritizing voter education and voter pre-registration
Generation Z is the generation after millennials, born between 1998 and 2016. They are the next generation of voters, and the time to educate them on civic engagement is now! In Texas high school principals are deputy voter registrars and are obligated register their students. It is our place to press them to honor this responsibility.

ResearchVoter Pre-registration laws by state
ReadTexas Tribune: Texas Schools aren't registering high schoolers to vote Sacramento Bee: OPINION: Why aren't California schools promoting voter registration?
Say: "Hi, I'm a parent/teacher/citizen/student in your district, and I'm calling to understand what our schools teach students regarding voter education and voter pre-registration?" If they give you a positive response: "Great! That's good to know. Our community and country rely on active, engaged citizens." If they give you a negative response: "Oh, that's unfortunate. Are there any resource limitations that are causing that not to occur? Is there any way I can help? As you know, our community and country rely on active, engaged citizens. We're doing students and our town a disservice by avoiding this topic."

That's it for this week. Remember to seek out folks who are actively working for your vote in local, state, and national elections. If there's a candidate who you support, please volunteer for or donate to them. It will take ALL of us to elect officials who will work for We, the People. Have a great week!

Much love,
Marieke
@actionsUSA