Week 69 Actions

Actions for Americans

Mar 25, 2018, 6:40:36 PM3/25/18
to Actions for Americans
Hi all!

This weekend we saw Americans, led by our youth, take to the streets and demand gun safety reform. Take a minute to be inspired by the crowds and students who stood up for change.

Useful resource for finding your elected officials (save the numbers in your phone!!): myreps.datamade.us
Tips on effective communication with elected officials, see Chapter 4 Advocacy Tactics: Indivisible Guide: Local Advocacy Tactics that Work

1. Show up to a local town hall or plan a district office visit
Spring recess started yesterday and goes through April 9. For two weeks, your Members of Congress (MoCs) will be home and you'll have the opportunity to meet with them face to face. This is your opportunity to hold them accountable and build momentum going into election season!

Find an event near youIndivisible Local Actions ; townhallproject.com
ReadIndivisible March Recess Priorities

2. Tell your MoCs Enough is Enough
Far too many of our children have died as a result of gun violence, yet Congress continues to take no action to fix the problem. Hold your MoCs accountable. Make them feel the pressure to act. At the federal, state, and local level, you can have an impact to prevent gun violence.

Say5 Calls: Support the March for Our Lives
Find your state's gun scorecardGifford's State Gun Law Scorecard
Improve the way you talk about gunsGeneration Progress: Inclusive Language
More recommended actionsIndivisible: How to Support #NeverAgain

3. Call your Representative to vote on legislation to protect Mueller
House Democrats are calling for a vote on the Special Counsel Integrity Act, which would prevent the firing of Robert Mueller without just cause. Tell your representative that we need legislation to protect the Russia investigation now!

For moreWashington Post: Trump Rails against Mueller Investigation
Say: "Hi, I'm a constituent of Representative _____. I'm deeply concerned by the tweets coming from our President attacking Special counsel Robert Mueller. If the President fires Mueller, we could have a constitutional crisis on our hands. I'm calling to urge Representative _____ to vote for the Special Counsel Integrity Act to prevent such a crisis. The future of our democracy depends on it! My zip code is ______."

4. Update your Facebook settings to protect your privacy
Facebook knows a lot about you. Maybe more than you thought you were letting it, and 3rd party apps, know about you. Here are a few steps you can take to see what Facebook already knows about you and how you can limit further access to your information.

Find out what FB already knowsCNBC: Download a Copy of Your Facebook Data
Limit FB's Access to your InformationEFF.org: How to Change your Facebook Settings
For moreCBS News: Can Facebook Restore Trust after Cambridge Analytica Scandal?

5. Call your MoCs to express outrage over John Bolton's appointment as National Security Advisor
John Bolton was a vocal supporter of entering the war in Iraq, including supporting the misleading and untrue reports of WMDs. More recently, he's advocated bombing North Korea and Iran. He is dangerous, irresponsible, and has no place in our government. Call your MoCs to publicly denounce him.

Fore moreBusiness Insider: Republicans and Democrats Raise Serious Questions about John Bolton
Say: 5calls Script

For our Texans
1. Volunteer for or donate to Spread the Vote
Texas requires photo ID to vote (unless you can prove you have a "reasonable impediment") and 600,000 registered voters in Texas don't have the ID they need at the polls. Who's most targeted? The elderly, poor, minorities, and homeless - the very people who most need government to work for them. STV sets up volunteer chapters in strict voter ID states to build partnerships and get IDs for local voters. Let's help them get to work!

Read more about their mission and strategy
spreadthevote.org
Be a chapter leader or volunteer: spreadthevote.org/volunteer
Donate
Know someone who needs help with ID?:
Get help getting Voter ID

2. Sign up to be part of the Pantsuit Republic Postcard Brigade!
Less than half of all Texans voted in 2016, a presidential election year. Does continuous issue-based engagement make a difference in voter mobilization? Help Pantsuit Republic do the experiment. Sign up to send postcards every 1-2 months to "pantpals" across the state on specific issues that impact us all. In November, we'll see how the experiment turns out!

For morePantsuit Republic Postcard Brigade
To sign up: Message facebook.com/pantsuitrepublic or email dona.kim...@pantsuitrepublic.com

That's it for this week. Keep up the great work!

Much love,
Marieke
@actionsUSA