Week 51 Actions

Actions for Americans

Nov 5, 2017, 4:40:21 PM11/5/17
to Actions for Americans
Hi all,

I feel like a broken record, again, saying that there is so much going on, but there is! Amidst Mueller's investigation closing in on Flynn, a flap-up with the DNC, and Trump's trip to Asia, we have to continue to focus on what each of us can do to effect change. This week, that's voting and pushing our MoCs to oppose the GOP's tax plan that will hurt millions of Americans and massively increase our debt. Keep up the great work!

Note: just before sending this week's actions, I got word of a mass shooting near San Antonio, TX. This is another horrible tragedy that I can barely stomach reading about, and my heart goes out to all who are impacted. But all of the thoughts and prayers in the world aren't going to bring back any of the people who were killed today or prevent any new shootings. Call your governor and state and federal MoCs to demand that they work on sensible gun safety reforms. Until they do, we will hold them responsible for each and every gun death.

Useful resource for finding your elected officials (save the numbers in your phone!!): myreps.datamade.us
Tips on effective communication with elected officials, see Chapter 4 Opportunity 4: Indivisible Guide: Local Advocacy Tactics that Work

1. Vote
Election day is this Tuesday, November 7. Whether you're voting for the governor of your state, mayor of your town, school board, or state or local propositions, elections matter. As former Houston Mayor Annise Parker said in an event I went to last night, "the people we elect can make our lives a lot better - or a lot worse." So no matter how small the ballot items in your area seem, they will have an impact on your community and on your neighbors.

Know your rightsusa.gov: Election Day
If you feel you've been discriminated against at the polls: Ask to speak to your precinct's election judge. If that doesnt' help, contact your county clerk, local ACLU chapter, and the candidates you were hoping to vote for.

2. Help get out the vote in Virginia
Virginia's Republican gubernatorial candidate, Ed Gillespie, is running on a anti-immigration, pro-fearmongering platform. We need to help Virginians make a strong message on Tuesday that hateful propoganda like that being pushed by Gillespie is unwelcome and downright unAmerican. Help encourage Virginians to get out and vote, and continue to show that Virginia is for Lovers!

Volunteer
Sign up to call or text Virginians to GOTV!

3. Call your MoCs for a NO vote on the #TrumpTaxScam
The tax bill is out, and it is bad. Really bad. It gives huge tax cuts to wealthy Americans by phasing out the estate tax, repealing the Alternative Minimum Tax, and limiting taxes on hedge funds and private law firm. It slashes the corporate tax rate, and discourages philanthropic giving. Bottom line: this tax plan will add $1.5 TRILLION to our deficit, forcing deep cuts to Medicaid, Medicare, and Social Security. Several Republican legislators have already come out against the plan. Make sure your MoC knows that you oppose it too.

Read: Business Insider: The GOP finally unveiled its massive tax plan
For more: trumptaxscam.org: Tax Policy 101, Town Hall Questions, and more!
Republican MoC Script: trumptaxscam.org: Republican Call Script
Democratic MoC Script: trumptaxscam: Democrat Call Script
Find an event near youLocal Indivisible Group Actions

4. Get smarter about digital content and what you share
After watching congressional hearings, it's clear that millions of Americans were exposed to digital content that was created and promoted by Russia. Yet even today, you can scroll through Facebook or twitter and see meme after meme expressing divisive, angry, and just plain wrong rhetoric about American politics. We need to educate ourselves on how to be more discerning about what we share. And, if you're comfortable, I encourage you to confront your friends or family members who share divisive content online. Be polite, lead with love, but if we don't help slow the spread of negative content, who will?

ReadNew Yorker: Russian Interference in the 2016 Election: A Cacophony, Not a Conspiracy
For morePolitifact: Congress Urges Tech Giants to Fortify Against Foreign Meddling
Suggestions for things to say: "That's not very nice Bob. You're such a great guy! Why share such mean stuff?" "I don't understand this meme. Can you explain to to me?"

5. Call your MoCs to support bipartisan legislation to add digital advertisements to existing election laws
Print, television, radio, and billboard ads are all required to disclose who paid for the content. Digital ads currently are not included in that requirement, even though most of us see quite a bit of digital content every day. Our laws need to be updated to be relevant to our times!

ReadPolitifact: Congress Urges Tech Giants to Fortify Against Foreign Meddling
For moreNPR: House Panel Considers How to Regulate Online Political Ads
Say: "Hi, I'm a constituent of Senator/Representative _____ and I'm calling to urge them to support bipartisan legislation to include digital advertisements in current political advertising laws. It's shocking how Russia and other influences were able to sway public opinion through their online advertising that has absolutely zero regulation. We need to make sure that never happens again. My zip code is _____."

6. Keep promoting the ACA open enrollment period
Open enrollment started Nov 1 and runs through December 15. Funding for advertising is down, so help spread the word to get folks covered!

For our Texans:

1. Vote on Tuesday!
The State of Texas is bigger than a lot of countries, and we have seven proposed changes to our state constitution. Two of them (Prop 2 and Prop 4) will hurt Texas homeowners and delay court hearings for no good reason. Read more in the Indivisible TX Lege Voting Guide. Make sure you get out and vote on these important propositions!

Find a sample ballotballotpedia.org: Sample Ballot Lookup
Amendment infoIndivisible Texas Lege November 2017 Texas Constitutional Amendments Voting Guide
For moreLeague of Women Voters: Voters Guide
Harris CoHarrisvotes.com: Sample Ballot
Harris CoEarly Voting Locations

2. Attend the National Women's Conference in Houston
In case it hasn't been clear with the news of the last few weeks, the rights and work of women are still not equal in our country. Attend the National Women's Conference to listen to and share experiences and work to develop civic engagement to keep moving inclusion forward.

See the schedule:National Women's Conference
Get a ticketeventbrite: The National Women's Conference

That's it for this week. Be sure to go out and vote, and bring a friend with you!

Much love,
Marieke
@actionsUSA