Week 76 Actions

Actions for Americans

Jun 17, 2018, 6:25:31 PM6/17/18
to Actions for Americans
Hi all!

Lots of work to be done this week. We got this!

Useful resource for finding your elected officials (save the numbers in your phone!!): myreps.datamade.us
Tips on effective communication with elected officials, see Chapter 4 Advocacy Tactics: Indivisible Guide: Local Advocacy Tactics that Work

1. Keep calling your Senators to support the Keep Families Together Act
Senator Feinstein's legislation to keep families together is gaining traction in the Senate. Call your Senators every day this week to urge them to vote for S. 3036, the Keep Families Together Act.

2. Call your Senators to support legislation to rein in Trump's trade authority
The Trump-induced trade wars continue to escalate and are already hurting American workers. Call your Senators to support Senator Corker's bipartisan legislation that requires Congressional approval before the President adjusts import tariffs.

For moreSenate Bill 3013
Say: "Hi, I'm a constituent of _______, and I'm calling today to urge them to condemn the trade Tariff's recently imposed on our allies. Many organizations, including the US Chamber of Commerce believe these tariffs will hurt, not help, American jobs. It's clear that the President's administration has no understanding of economic fundamentals, and the Executive branch's trade powers need to be reined in by Congress. I ask that Senator/Representative _____ publicly denounce the steel and aluminum tariffs and support Senator Bob Corker's bill S.3013 to require Congressional approval of the administration's new tariffs. My zip code is ______."

3. Read up on Congress' upcoming Immigration votes
Two immigration bills are expected to come to a vote this week in the House. Read up on what the bills entail and stay tuned for more ways we can fight back.

4. Sign up for Indivisible's new voting tool
Knowing when, where, and how to vote in this country can be challenging. Check out Indivisible's new tool to help you get all of the information you need as well as election updates in your area.

Sign up and share: indivisible.turbovote.org

5.  Bail fathers out
America has a racist criminal justice system, that sends many black and brown fathers  to prison, often for minor violations. Many can't afford to make bail, so they stay in prison, away from their families for necessarily long durations. Commemorate Father's Day this year by making a donation to the Juneteenth Father's Day Bail Out.

DonateJuneteenth Father's Day Bail Out
WatchThe 13th Trailer
ReadACLU: Racial Disparities in Criminal Justice

And for our Texans:
1. Read the Texas GOP's list of party priorities
The Texas GOP convention wrapped up their yearly convention this, and they've included the bathroom bill, abolishing abortion, and opposition to firearm storage on their list of priorities. If the Texas House and Senate continue to have overwhelming majorities in the 2019 session, these are some of the topics you can expect to see bills on. Read this as motivation to turn out the vote in November.

2. Volunteer for the Democratic candidate in your State Representative's race
Many (but not all) of the Republican candidates for the Texas legislature support policies that hurt our kids, hurt the LGBT community, and hurt minorities. We need more representatives that will work for laws that help everyday Texans. Volunteer or donate to a campaign to help bring constructive change to Texas. And if your local race says "solid R", don't throw in the towel just yet. The current President's odds to win were a long shot and improbable seats have flipped all across the country. Anything can happen!

Find your state Rep and Senator: Who Represents Me?
Find who's running against them: Texas Statewide Projections

3. Attend the Texas Democratic Convention June 21-23
The state party convention is your opportunity to shape the party's platform and strategy to move Texas forward. Bring your voice and bring your talents, and be the change you want to see in this state!

Registration and Details: TexasDemocraticConvention.com

That's it for this week. Keep up the good work!

Much love,
Marieke
@actionsUSA