Week 53 Actions

Actions for Americans

Nov 19, 2017, 10:12:17 PM11/19/17
to Actions for Americans
Hi all!

With Thanksgiving just a few days away, let's pull out a full court press against the GOP's #taxscam. Plus, open enrollment for the ACA ends December 15th, so help spread the word!

Useful resource for finding your elected officials (save the numbers in your phone!!): myreps.datamade.us
Tips on effective communication with elected officials, see Chapter 4 Opportunity 4: Indivisible Guide: Local Advocacy Tactics that Work

1. Call your Senators to oppose the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act aka #taxscam
The House passed its version of the tax scam last week, and the Senate may vote on their version as early as November 30th. Once it passes the Senate, it goes back to the House, and then to Donald Trump's desk. That means we have to make a ton of noise between now and when the Senate is back in session after Thanksgiving. We can't let this bill, that prioritizes short-term gains for the wealthy over long term funding for programs that our country depends on, pass!

For more: NY Times: Under GOP Tax Plan, Who Would Win and Lose?
Find out how the Senate Tax bill will impact American families: Time: Tax Bill Calculator
Tune inIndivisible Tax Policy Discussion Monday 11/20 at 7:30pm CST
Republican Script: trumptaxscam.org: Republican Call Script
Democratic Script: trumptaxscam: Democrat Call Script

2. Show up at an #TrumpTaxScam event on November 27
It's time for a full court press. Show up next Monday for the National Day of Action Sit-In.

Find an event near youTrump Tax Scam Sit-In

3. Schedule a visit to your Senators' in-district offices ASAP
Most in-district offices will be open Monday-Wednesday this week. Call your Senator's local in-district office and ask for an appointment to come in this week and talk to the staff. Let them know how the #taxscam will hurt you and your family.

4. Spread the word that ACA open enrollment goes through December 15
We all made a lot of calls, shared our stories, and showed up to rallies to help save the ACA. Now let's make sure people have the tools they need to get a plan that's right for them.

Share: ACA flyers are attached to this email. Take screenshots of the images to share on social media, or print out flyers and hand them out to friends, neighbors, or anyone you know who may need it!
WatchHuffington Post: Under Trump, ACA Shopping is More Confusing. We're Here to Help
ReadForbes: Affordable Care Act Tips for the Nuttiest Open Enrollment Season Ever

5. Write down something you're thankful for
It's been quite a year. Take a minute to think of one thing that you're thankful or grateful for amidst all of the other noise of this year. I'm thankful for all of the incredible, compassionate, brilliant, funny people I've had the good fortune to meet and work with this year. That includes a lot of you!

6. Don't Avoid Political Conversations with Family Members
This one can be tough, especially depending on your family situation. But take some time this holiday season to talk to your family about the work you've been doing, and how they can get involved too. Calling your MoCs once or twice a week isn't as daunting of a task now as it was a year ago, right? Or let them know some of the benefits of signing up for a plan under the ACA if they need one. If your family members disagree with your political viewpoints, find something that you can agree on, and talk about how there is so much more that unites us than divides us. Lead with love!

ReadVox: Experts Agree, Don't Avoid Political Conversations with Family Members

Keep up the great work everyone and have a happy and safe Thanksgiving!

Much love,
Marieke
@actionsUSA
aca.zip