Week 50 Actions

Actions for Americans

Oct 31, 2017, 6:12:42 AM10/31/17
to Actions for Americans
Hi all!

As charges unfold against Manafort and others, let's keep our focus on congress and putting pressure on our MoCs to work for We, the People.

1. Call your Senators on Thursday, November 2 to vote NO on Trump's tax scam
Republicans are expected to unveil the full text of their tax bill on Wednesday. Two memos have shown early on that "tax reform" is nothing more than giveaways for Trump and his wealthy friends. This Thursday, join a national call in day to tell your MoCs that we need a tax plan that helps working families in America. Check indivisible.org for more updates Wednesday afternoon.

Explainerstrumptaxscam.org
Townhall questionstrumptaxscam.org/questions
Be SocialShare these graphics!

2. Spread the word: Open Enrollment Starts November 1
The ACA is still the law of the land. Help spread the word that open enrollment starts November 1, and keep sharing how the ACA benefits Americans.

For moreIndivisible Guide: Covered - a Guide to the ACA
Healthcare.gov: Healthcare.gov - key dates

3. Call your MoCs to reauthorize funding for children's healthcare
Last month Congress failed to reauthorize funding for the Children's Health Insurance Program (CHIP), which insures 9 million American kids. Children's lives are on the line because our congress can't function. Call your MoC and push them to make CHIP a priority.

For more, plus scriptsIndivisible Guide: Congress Needs to Reauthorize the CHIP Program

4. Call your Representative to support the Protect Access to Birth Control Act
On October 6, the President issued an Executive Order that allows employers to refuse to provide contraceptive coverage. I think pro-choice and anti-abortion activists alike can agree that the most effective way to prevent an abortion is to not get pregnant in the first place. Inexpensive access to contraception is imperative for American families. Thankfully, four Congresswomen have introduced a bill in the House that would override the EO and require employers to provide access to contraception.

ReadHR 2567 - Access to Birth Control Act
Say: "Hi, I'm a constituent of Representative ________, and I'm calling to urge them to support H.R. 2567, the Access to Birth Control Act. It's shocking that the President side-stepped congress by issuing an executive order. On top of that, access to reproductive healthcare is imperative for women's health, and with maternal mortality rates rising in the US, we should be doing everything we can to support women, no take away their access to care. Please ensure Representative ______ understands how important this issue is to their constituents. My zip code is _____."

5. Keep calling your MoCs to support a DREAM Act
With DACA protections set to expire by February, we need to push Congress to pass a clean DREAM Act before then to protect DREAMers, who are the young, hardworking immigrants who came to this country as children and are now integral members of our neighborhoods.

For moreIndivisible Guide: Defend DACA
Say: "Hi, I'm a constituent of Senator/Representative _____ and I'm calling today to find out their stance on the DREAM Act/American Hope Act."
If they support: "That's fantastic. Please thank the Senator/Representative for supporting a bill that is both good for business and the individuals it will support."
If they don't support: "Does the Senator realize that not passing this bill and revoking the DACA program is forecast to reduce our GDP by over $433 billion in the next decade? And that deporting these young, hard-working DREAMers would cost businesses $3.4 billion to replace them? The DREAMers that will be impacted have deep roots in this country and it's unwise and unconscionable that the Senator would support deporting them, especially those impacted by Hurricanes Harvey, Irma, and Maria. Please urge the Senator/Representative to reconsider their position on this important bill. If they don't, we will remember their shortsighted decision when they ask us for our vote. My zip code is _____."

For our Texans:

1. Vote!
Early voting is happening now and goes through Friday, 11/3. In early voting, you can vote at any open precinct in your county, making it much more convenient. Get in the habit of voting!

Find a sample ballotballotpedia.org: Sample Ballot Lookup
Amendment infoIndivisible Texas Lege November 2017 Texas Constitutional Amendments Voting Guide
For moreLeague of Women Voters: Voters Guide
Harris CoHarrisvotes.com: Sample Ballot
Harris CoEarly Voting Locations

2. Plan an early voting party or get-together
Voting doesn't come easy to everyone. It can feel intimidating, overwhelming, or it may slip some folks' minds. Set a time and date to meet with your friends, vote, and then celebrate! Our representative democracy relies on electing responsible leaders into office. It's hard to do that if nearly half of Texans don't show up to the polls.

3. Encourage your friends and coworkers to vote
With small elections it's sometimes hard to know what's on the ballot, or that an election is even happening. Make sure your friends and coworkers know what's up for a vote this November!

That's it for this week. Keep up the calls and go vote!

Much love,
Marieke
@actionsUSA