Week 52 Actions

Actions for Americans

Nov 13, 2017, 11:32:37 PM11/13/17
to Actions for Americans
Hi all,

The election results out of Virginia last week were such great and inspiring news! Let's keep the momentum going and work toward similar results come 2018. Hope is still alive y'all!

1. Call your MoCs to oppose the Trump tax scam
The House is expected to vote on the tax bill as early as Wednesday or Thursday, and the Senate is marking up their version of the bill this week. The bill in its current state increases inequality, raises taxes on the middle class and working poor, and lays the groundwork to radically cut Medicare and Medicaid. Make sure your MoC knows their constituents do not support an increase on taxes for the middle class and poor to finance tax cuts for Millionaires and Billionaires.

For more: trumptaxscam.org: Tax Policy 101, Town Hall Questions, and more!
Republican MoC Script: trumptaxscam.org: Republican Call Script
Democratic MoC Script: trumptaxscam: Democrat Call Script

2. Call your Senators to oppose blogger Brett Talley to the US District Court of Alabama
Last week, the Senate Judiciary Committee forwarded the lifetime federal judgeship nomination of Brett Tally to the full Senate. The American Bar Association has given Mr. Tally its lowest possible rating: unanimous Not Qualified, largely because Tally, 36, has never argued a motion in federal district court. Tell your Senators that you're paying attention, and you know just how unqualified Tally is to be serving in our judicial system. His lack of experience and extremist views make him unfit for the position.

Read moreSlate: Senate Panel Votes to Turn Blogger without Trial Experience into Federal Judge
Say: "Hi, I'm a constituent of Senator ____ and I'm calling to ask how they intend to vote on Mr. Brett Tally's judge confirmation."
If they intend to vote no, "That's great! Please thank the Senator for me and let them know that their constituents support that decision. My zip code is _____."
If they intend to vote yes, "Wow, really? I struggle to understand how the Senator thinks Mr. Tally is qualified for the job. Could you please explain?" End the call with, "That is really troubling news. Please let the Senator know that his constituents do not support that decision and I will definitely remember this vote the next time the Senator asks for my vote. My zip code is _____."

3. Keep calling for a clean DREAM Act
With DACA protections set to expire by February, we need to push Congress to pass a clean DREAM Act to protect DREAMers, who are the young, hardworking immigrants who came to this country as children and are now integral members of our neighborhoods.

For moreIndivisible Guide: Defend DACA
Say: "Hi, I'm a constituent of Senator/Representative _____ and I'm calling today to find out their stance on the DREAM Act/American Hope Act."
If they support: "That's fantastic. Please thank the Senator/Representative for supporting a bill that is both good for business and the individuals it will support."
If they don't support: "Does the Senator realize that not passing this bill and revoking the DACA program is forecast to reduce our GDP by over $433 billion in the next decade? And that deporting these young, hard-working DREAMers would cost businesses $3.4 billion to replace them? The DREAMers that will be impacted have deep roots in this country and it's unwise and unconscionable that the Senator would support deporting them, especially those impacted by Hurricanes Harvey, Irma, and Maria. Please urge the Senator/Representative to reconsider their position on this important bill. If they don't, we will remember their shortsighted decision when they ask us for our vote. My zip code is _____."

4. Practice self care and rest up!
With the holidays right around the corner, this may be one of your last weeks of the year to take some time out for you. Do something nice for yourself: take a warm bath, enjoy a nice autumn stroll, go to sleep early, or watch your favorite movie. Need some more ideas? Here are 134 to choose from! And if you need a reminder on why self care is so important here are 5 reasons to make self care a habit.

That's it for this week. Keep up the great work everyone!

Much love,
Marieke
@actionsUSA