Week 65 Actions

Actions for Americans

Feb 25, 2018, 4:33:04 PM2/25/18
to Actions for Americans
Hi all!

I know not all of you live in Texas, but check out these incredibly inspiring early voting numbers for the Texas primary. And there's still a week left, so numbers should go up even more.

Useful resource for finding your elected officials (save the numbers in your phone!!): myreps.datamade.us
Tips on effective communication with elected officials, see Chapter 4 Opportunity 4: Indivisible Guide: Local Advocacy Tactics that Work

1. Take action to prevent gun violence
One school shooting is one too many. We MUST keep up the pressure on our elected officials to pass responsible gun safety legislation.

Call your MoCs: Don't pass the Concealed Reciprocity Act Script
Call your state legislators: How States can Prevent Gun Violence

2. Keep calling on DACA
On March 5, the number of DACA recipients who lose their protections will rise from 122 per day to over 1,200 per day. There will be immigrant-led actions around the country that day to send the message that there is no more time on the clock. We need a #DreamActNow.

Fore moreThe Atlantic: Trump's Hardline Approach is Forcing Immigrant Advocates to Readjust

3. Call your Senators on Infrastructure
On March 1, the Senate Committee on Environment and Public Works will hold a hearing on "The Administration's Framework fo Rebuilding Infrastructure in America." Congress is beginning to move on Trump's infrastructure plan, and we know enough to say that this is yet another scam including privation of public assets, a surge in toll roads, and even more tax breaks for billionaires.

For moreNY Times: Experts Doubt Trump's Infrastructure Plan will Boost Economy
SayIndivisible Scripts

4. Read a book
It's the last week of Black History Month. Take some time to read a book that focuses on black communities across the country. I personally recommend Americanah, Between the World and Me, and The Hate U Give for good contemporary stories of black Americans.

 5. Call your MoCs to protect key parts of Dodd-Frank
Next week, the Senate is expected to vote on S. 2155, a bill that would drastically reduce oversight of big banks such as Deutsche Bank and roll back key consumer protections. Does anyone think that bankers need to take even more of our money?Tell your Senator to vote NO on S. 2155.

For moreNewsweek: Senators want to roll back regulations on the 10-year anniversary of the 2008 financial crisis
SayIndivisible Scripts

For our Texans
1. Vote!!
There's one more week left to vote early. March 2 is your last day. Don't wait until the last minute to have your voice heard! The primary is open in Texas, so even if you're not a registered D or R, you can vote in either primary. If you have any questions on candidates, check out their presence on social media (you can find them via google search), see which groups have endorsed them, send their campaign an email or call them if you have any questions. Most candidates are very responsive!

2. Invite your friends to vote with you
Make voting an event. Make it fun. Make it something to celebrate. Voting rules in Texas are complicated and can be intimidating. Let your friends know that you're there to help them feel comfortable and empowered.

3. Stand up for schools
HISD is at risk of closing several low-income schools due to Texas' inequitable education laws. Make your voice heard and stand up for kids in these communities. We've got to educate our children if they have any chance at succeeding in life. We've got to break the school to prison pipeline and set all of our kids up to succeed.

AttendList of campus meetings
Contact Board Members: HISD (713) 556-6121 or email individual board members

That's it for this week. Change is coming because of you!

Much love,
Marieke
@actionsUSA