Week 54 Action Items

Actions for Americans

Nov 26, 2017, 6:26:10 PM11/26/17
to Actions for Americans
Hi all!

Hope everyone was able to have a happy and restful holiday weekend. With only a few weeks left in 2018, let's put We, the People back into our government and urge our Senators to vote NO on the #taxscam!

Useful resource for finding your elected officials (save the numbers in your phone!!): myreps.datamade.us
Tips on effective communication with elected officials, see Chapter 4 Opportunity 4: Indivisible Guide: Local Advocacy Tactics that Work

1. Call your Senators for a NO vote on the #taxscam
The Senate is expected to vote on their version of the tax bill this week, so it's now or never folks! The bill in its current form offers major tax cuts for corporations and, over time, actually increases taxes on Americans making less than $75,000 a year. Plus, the current version of the bill repeals the ACA health care mandate, which would result in 13 million Americans losing healthcare, and premiums going up for everyone else. Claims of increasing growth likely aren't true either. The University of Chicago did a survey of 38 prominent American economists. Only one of them (2%) thought that the #taxscam will be good for the US economy. I don't know about you, but I'm more inclined to believe non-partisan experts who study economics for their career over politicians and pundits whose major donors include corporations and wealthy individuals who will profit richly if this bill passes. Ask your friends and family to call too!

For morewww.trumptaxscam.org
Sign up to call voters with swing Senators: Calls to Kill the Tax Scam
Republican Script: trumptaxscam.org: Republican Call Script
Democratic Script: trumptaxscam: Democrat Call Script
Talking PointsChad Bolt on Twitter

2. Attend a Tax scam rally near you on Monday 11/27
It's time to put the pressure on our Senators. Let them know that you and your community understand how bad the GOP tax bill will be for workers and families. Show them that their seat isn't safe if they vote for the #taxscam.

Find an event near youTrump Tax Scam Sit-In

3. Call your MoCs and the FCC at the 201-418-1000 to protect Net Neutrality
FCC chairman Ajit Pai, a former telecom lobbyist, has scheduled a vote on Net Neutrality for December 14th. Net Neutrality means that all content can come to you over the internet at an equal rate. Without net neutrality, large corporations could pay extra to have their content get to you faster, so many companies and nonprofits with smaller advertising budgets would be left behind. Keep the internet open. Push your MoCs and the FCC to maintain current Net Neutrality standards. If this feels like deja vu, that's because it is. We had this exact same debate back in 2015 and earlier this year.

Short Script: "Hi, I'm a constituent of Senator/Representative _____ and I'm calling today to ask that they support Net Neutrality and a free and open internet. My zip code is _____."

Long Script: "Hi, I'm a constituent of Senator/Representative _____ and I'm calling to ask what their stance on net neutrality is." If they support: "That's fantastic! Please let the Senator/Representative know that I support that position and thank them for their work." If they don't support: "That's interesting. Why does the Senator/Representative think the internet should be able to go to the highest bidder? [wait for a response] Does the Senator/Representative realize that disrupting net neutrality will disproportionately impact Americans of color, and will limit innovation which is a cornerstone of American prosperity. I urge the Senator/Representative to support a free and open internet. My zip code is _____."

4. Donate or volunteer for giving Tuesday
This Tuesday is giving Tuesday. Find an organization you support and contribute to them financially or with your time.

For moregivingtuesday.org
Some suggestionsIndivisible Guide ; Souther Poverty Law Center ; Let America Vote ; United We Dream ; Human Rights Campaign

For our Texans
1. Run for something
There are still quite a few uncontested races for spots on the Texas legislature. The deadline to file is December 11 which is just 2 weeks away! If you are interested in running, or have any questions about what that would entail, please reach out to me ASAP. And if you think you're not qualified enough to win, just look at our President. You got this, and there is a huge group of Texans who will support you every step of the way.

For moreQualifications and Overview of Texas House and Senate Positions
See if your Rep or Senator is running unopposed2018 Texas Races
Map of Texas House RacesRed Districts have Uncontested Races with a Republican Incumbent

That's it for this week. Keep up the great work, and keep making your voice heard!

Much love,
Marieke
@actionsUSA