RoadMap and Community

Evan Tahler

Dec 5, 2013, 1:05:16 AM12/5/13
to action...@googlegroups.com
Hi Everyone-

I'm happy to say that the goals of the 7.x.x are close to being complete!

- and always bug fixes :D

I'll have some more 7.x.x releases coming soon!

The target for the 8.x.x release is to finally build out a modular plug-in system for common "packs" of actions and initializers. This includes authentication, database connections, etc.   The first goal is to enable the inclusion of these packages (8.0.0), and from there, start making packs for common workflows.

I wanted to reach out to the community we are starting to form here and ask what you have on your mind for subsequent releases.  I know some of you are looking into how to provide helpers for testing which could fit into 7.x.x or 8.x.x, depending on when they are complete.

Related to this roadmap-ing exercise, I would like to meet you!  I don't know if we have enough people for a 'conference' yet, but I think it would be fun to share what we are working on and chat about actionHero and node.  I'm in the SF Bay Area in the USA.  If enough people can get here, we could meet in person.  If a large portion of you are in another city, I can try and meet you there.  Otherwise, we could try a Google Hangout if there is any interest to do this virtually.

Please reply with your thoughts.

Thanks!

Brian Corrigan

Dec 5, 2013, 12:43:42 PM12/5/13
to Evan Tahler, action...@googlegroups.com
Hey Evan - I'll be out in SF in march, but will probably not be travelling much before that.  I can't speak for everyone of course, but I'd be really excited and happy to join some sort of IRC room, Google Hangout, or whatever is appropriate for everyone.  We have 3 projects currently going with AH, and we're really enjoying working with it.  It has "just enough" that it saves time, but not so much that the code can't still easily be grokked if a problem arises (vs. say, most heavy frameworks!)  I feel it does a good job of toe-ing the line between the node community's aversion to frameworks, and the real world's desire to do actual work and not goof around with basic protocol handling just to get a project out the door :)  I hope it evolves, but doesn't "grow". :)

Brian Corrigan
MadGlory Interactive
http://www.madglory.com
Tw: @madgloryint
Ph: 518.867.1439

Evan Tahler

Dec 9, 2013, 11:57:23 PM12/9/13
to action...@googlegroups.com, Evan Tahler, br...@madglory.com
Only 1 response?
Is anyone else interested in some type of actionHero meetup (either physical or virtual)?

Pehr Johansson

Dec 10, 2013, 12:12:10 AM12/10/13
to Evan Tahler, action...@googlegroups.com
It's a busy time of the year...
7.0.0 is working great by the way! Still need to test a bit more with failure scenarios, which was causing some grief in the old task engine.

Plug-in system sounds really good. No point of everyone writing the code to handle Models, Passport integration and so on when you can do it once..

No plans to travel over the Pacific in 2014, but Hangout sounds good. If you happen to be in the land down under, we can arrange for a meetup here..

Cheers,
Pehr Johansson

Denis VMBK

Dec 10, 2013, 12:55:13 AM12/10/13
to Evan Tahler, action...@googlegroups.com, Evan Tahler, br...@madglory.com
The same for Belgian guys over here!
Hangout is possible, but travelling oversea sounds difficult :-)

Denis Van Melkebeke
Sent from my mobile

mike.s...@gmail.com

Dec 11, 2013, 3:56:10 PM12/11/13
to action...@googlegroups.com
I'd be into a regular Google Hangout in the new year!

I like the idea of plugins and packs.

Is there any interest in an express/connect middleware api adapter? Is that even a need? Maybe it is already compatible. If not, I wonder what packages would interest this group, what you all might miss from connect projects. I'm using AH as a welcome alternative to express/socketIO setups, but maybe some popular packages would be cool to have.

tjk...@gmail.com

Dec 11, 2013, 9:39:48 PM12/11/13
to action...@googlegroups.com, mike.s...@gmail.com

I'm starting to use AH as well, and ditched a similar framework I was just starting to build with some of the same features. Here are a few things I'm looking for/planning to write:

-Multiple domain support for static files (multiple domains sharing an API on the same server)
-Make client certificate authentication easy to implement
-Maybe switch out the requirement to have folders for tasks, initializers, etc., and just make them all Node modules that reside in the node_modules folder. This allows for true extensibility/encapsulation (like using connect modules...), the type can be determined by injection or perhaps in the package.json. It would also allow other package types to be registered in the future without having to extend the core.

Keep up the good work!

ysh...@gmail.com

Dec 20, 2013, 12:27:19 AM12/20/13
to action...@googlegroups.com
I'm in Los Angeles, and don't make it to sf very often. I'd love to do a regular hangout though. Is there anybody else here from la?

Bryan Tong

Dec 20, 2013, 12:29:37 AM12/20/13
to ysh...@gmail.com, action...@googlegroups.com
I have some datacenter space in LA but only make it out there every couple months.

On Thu, Dec 19, 2013 at 10:27 PM, <ysh...@gmail.com> wrote:
I'm in Los Angeles, and don't make it to sf very often. I'd love to do a regular hangout though. Is there anybody else here from la?

eSited LLC

David S Taylor

Dec 28, 2013, 10:38:37 PM12/28/13
to action...@googlegroups.com
> Related to this roadmap-ing exercise, I would like to meet you! ... in the SF Bay Area in the USA

Im also in the SF Ba Area. I'd be glad to meetup