GENERAL query / Annoucement

Gerard Falla

Aug 24, 2015, 2:05:43 PM8/24/15
to acsacr...@googlegroups.com, tsim...@archvista.com, Magnan, John, Craig Stradley, David Mogavero
Hey there Sacramento ArchiCad User Group folks…

I’ve been thinking for some time of getting the SACUG back into a more active mode… been talking to the folks at my firm about it on and off for a bit – they are in favour of this being a more active group, and my putting some time into this effort – then recently Tom Simmons reached out to me and directly asked me to get this ball rolling again…

So:

I think we should start meeting again.

I think that we should target once a month, with even the possibility of twice a month, but play that by ear initially, based on availability and perceived benefit of the sessions.

We could do as we have done, and see about meeting @ SMUD as we used to, or we could use the large conference room here @ Mogavero if we want access to an easier-to-use 80” screen, plus a kitchen with coffee and all that sort of thing, if people want to do that. Or we could rotate meeting places to have a bit of variety.

One potential advantage to using the Mogavero conference room is the proximity to midtown/downtown if we were to set up a meet & confer on ArchiCad followed by out to socialize for any with the time to do it scenario; the countervailing potential advantage to SMUD is that it’s basically “neutral” territory. We’ve not met at SMUD for a long time now – Jim would have to weigh in on whether he thinks that could still be a long term sustainable strategy for us.

Tom has offered to help us with promoting this and having some web resources available for us as we need them.

So I want to throw this out there for some general discussion:

A) Who would be interested enough to show up if we did reconvene?
B) Anyone have any objections to this effort, to me acting as a focal point for that effort, etc etc.?
C) Where do people want to meet? Alternate ideas of meeting places/times/methods?
D) General discussion – any angles to this you feel we need to consider, special pet projects you’d want addressed, things you’d like us to reach out to ArchVista or Graphisoft directly to get support/answers for?

GERARD FALLA,

BIM GURU

DESIGNER & IT MANAGER

20 years logo_110dpi_1x1

MOGAVERO NOTESTINE ASSOCIATES

2012 K Street,  Sacramento,  CA   95811

916.443.1033       http://www.mognot.com

This message may contain confidential and/or privileged information. If you are not the addressee or authorized to receive this for the addressee, you must not use, copy, disclose or take any action based on this message or any information herein and should delete this message. No representation is made that this email or any attachments are free of viruses. Virus scanning is recommended and is the responsibility of the recipient.

Jim Barnett

Aug 24, 2015, 2:18:43 PM8/24/15
to acsacr...@googlegroups.com, tsim...@archvista.com, Magnan, John, Craig Stradley, David Mogavero, Gerard Falla

From my perspective, SMUD rooms have become a nightmare with the HQ remodel going on.  As for my attendance, I’m still in the same boat.  I haven’t used ArchiCAD in at least 5-years and still with v9.  Please place “L” on my forehead. I’ve added your direct email address Gerard just in case this does not get thru the googlegroup route.  For some reason I’ve been able to receive but not send anything thru that route.

Jim Barnett

Principal Architect

Customer Service Business Unit - PV Programs

6301 S Street, Mailstop A203, Sacramento, CA 95817

w.916-732-6762 | jim.b...@smud.org

cid:3390838823_2270563

Bruce Playle

Aug 24, 2015, 2:24:13 PM8/24/15
to acsacr...@googlegroups.com, tsim...@archvista.com, Magnan, John, Craig Stradley, David Mogavero

Hi Gerard.  Offering up also Indigo in Davis for some meetings if the group likes. BP

Bruce Playle, AIA

INDIGO/ Hammond & Playle Architects, LLP

www.indigoarch.com

Hey there Sacramento ArchiCad User Group folks…

--

image001.png

Dustin Littrell

Aug 24, 2015, 2:28:39 PM8/24/15
to acsacr...@googlegroups.com, tsim...@archvista.com, Magnan, John, Craig Stradley, David Mogavero, Gerard Falla
Hello Gerard,

I tried to respond to your initial message in google group but wasn’t able to so I’m also emailing my response directly.
See my answers below in RED.

Best,
Dustin Littrell

So I want to throw this out there for some general discussion:

A) Who would be interested enough to show up if we did reconvene?  I am planning to attend, thank you for working on this!
B) Anyone have any objections to this effort, to me acting as a focal point for that effort, etc etc.? No objections, great idea.
C) Where do people want to meet? Alternate ideas of meeting places/times/methods? Mogavero is a great location, 6pm?
D) General discussion – any angles to this you feel we need to consider, special pet projects you’d want addressed, things you’d like us to reach out to ArchVista or Graphisoft directly to get support/answers for? I’d like to learn how to “quickly" produce photo-real renderings within ArchiCAD since its become much easier in latest versions of AC. More clients are asking to see these but I dont want to make a career out of producing these. Also, best practices" for a small office and help identify training resources for a new AC user.

On Aug 24, 2015, at 11:18 AM, Jim Barnett <Jim.B...@smud.org> wrote:

From my perspective, SMUD rooms have become a nightmare with the HQ remodel going on.  As for my attendance, I’m still in the same boat.  I haven’t used ArchiCAD in at least 5-years and still with v9.  Please place “L” on my forehead. I’ve added your direct email address Gerard just in case this does not get thru the googlegroup route.  For some reason I’ve been able to receive but not send anything thru that route.

Jim Barnett

Principal Architect

Customer Service Business Unit - PV Programs

6301 S Street, Mailstop A203, Sacramento, CA 95817

w.916-732-6762 | jim.b...@smud.org

<image001.jpg>

Jose Flores

Aug 24, 2015, 3:27:52 PM8/24/15
to Sacramento Archicad User Group, tsim...@archvista.com, JMa...@graphisoft.com, cstr...@mognot.com, dmog...@mognot.com
I am all for this AC user group however my problem is that I am in the San Jose area...

Saxon Sigerson

Aug 24, 2015, 4:02:16 PM8/24/15
to ACSacramento
I would attend some,  all the way to midtown as opposed to SMUD is a bit more of a haul for us outliers

Saxon

Saxon Sigerson AIA

Check out my architecture blog
http://saxonsangles.wordpress.com

Sigerson Architects
7940 California Avenue, Suite 4
Fair Oaks, CA 95628
T  (916) 863-6470
sa...@sigersonarchitects.com
http://sigersonarchitects.com/

Jacek Lisiewicz

Aug 24, 2015, 4:48:22 PM8/24/15
to acsacr...@googlegroups.com, tsim...@archvista.com, Magnan, John, Craig Stradley, David Mogavero
Gerard,
Count me in.
I can attend at any location in Sacramento.
I am a current subscriber, however not a power user by far. Hope to re-learn from you and others.
Thank you for resurrecting this long tradition!
From my iPhone
Jacek

Wagner Seiss

Aug 24, 2015, 4:52:00 PM8/24/15
to acsacr...@googlegroups.com
I can meet any weekday evening except Thursday.

Set a date and I will attend.

Seiss
<B87AA615-FA77-441E-AB04-2CE4DA4F8A51[4].png>

MOGAVERO NOTESTINE ASSOCIATES
2012 K Street,  Sacramento,  CA   95811

This message may contain confidential and/or privileged information. If you are not the addressee or authorized to receive this for the addressee, you must not use, copy, disclose or take any action based on this message or any information herein and should delete this message. No representation is made that this email or any attachments are free of viruses. Virus scanning is recommended and is the responsibility of the recipient.

…………………………
Seiss Wagner - Architect
300 36th Way
Sacramento, CA 95816
……………………………….
SeissW@gmail,com
This e-mail (and any attachments) is intended only for the addressee(s),  and may be confidential.  If you received this message in error, please notify the sender, then delete it.

Wagner Seiss

Aug 24, 2015, 4:57:12 PM8/24/15
to acsacr...@googlegroups.com, tsim...@archvista.com, Magnan, John, Craig Stradley, David Mogavero
Gerard -

I can meet any weekday evening except Thursday.

Set a date and place; I will attend.

Seiss

On Aug 24, 2015, at 1:48 PM, Jacek Lisiewicz <arkhos...@comcast.net> wrote:

<B87AA615-FA77-441E-AB04-2CE4DA4F8A51[4].png>

MOGAVERO NOTESTINE ASSOCIATES
2012 K Street,  Sacramento,  CA   95811

This message may contain confidential and/or privileged information. If you are not the addressee or authorized to receive this for the addressee, you must not use, copy, disclose or take any action based on this message or any information herein and should delete this message. No representation is made that this email or any attachments are free of viruses. Virus scanning is recommended and is the responsibility of the recipient.

Miles Ostermann

Aug 24, 2015, 5:42:25 PM8/24/15
to acsacr...@googlegroups.com
I’m in. Wednesday is my only day with a scheduled thing going on. I am driving no matter where we meet.
One of the issues I’d like to figure out is how to use the BIMx model for/with my clients as a more integrated tool in my services. I know how to produce it, but really not use it.
Miles

logo2alogo

Miles Ostermann, Designer

Milestone Studio

Phone: 530.676.0900  Cell: 530.320.0900

In...@milestonestudio.com

www.milestonestudio.com

Facebook  | Houzz  | Pinterest

From: <acsacr...@googlegroups.com> on behalf of Gerard Falla <gfa...@mognot.com>
Date: Monday, August 24, 2015 at 11:05 AM
To: "acsacr...@googlegroups.com" <acsacr...@googlegroups.com>, Tom Simmons <tsim...@archvista.com>, "Magnan, John" <JMa...@graphisoft.com>
Cc: Craig Stradley <cstr...@mognot.com>, David Mogavero <dmog...@mognot.com>

Gerard

Oct 19, 2015, 12:50:34 PM10/19/15
to Sacramento Archicad User Group, tsim...@archvista.com, JMa...@graphisoft.com, cstr...@mognot.com, dmog...@mognot.com
OK folks, the consensus seemed to be positive for our restarting, and it sounds like SMUD's not the best option.

We've several folks who've volunteered spaces, and I think we could plan on a circulating meeting method, and this way those who wish to showcase can do so if they choose.

We've folks asking to join and rejoin our brave little band... so I feel like we're moving the right direction.

Now: day/date to meet, location for first meeting!

I propose we meet prior to the end of this month, just to get our beds back into that space. 21 Wed is out, but short of that, we can use one of the Mogavero conference rooms after hours without issue, or there's an offer from Bruce to have the meeting in Davis at Indigo - let's get some votes going here on place and date/time!

Gerard

Miles Ostermann

Oct 19, 2015, 1:08:23 PM10/19/15
to acsacr...@googlegroups.com, tsim...@archvista.com, JMa...@graphisoft.com, cstr...@mognot.com, dmog...@mognot.com
I am god any weeknight except Wednesdays. I have to drive no matter what, so location does not matter to me.
Miles

logo2alogo

Miles Ostermann, Designer

Milestone Studio

Phone: 530.676.0900  Cell: 530.320.0900

In...@milestonestudio.com

www.milestonestudio.com

Facebook  | Houzz  | Pinterest

Jim Barnett

Miles Ostermann

Oct 19, 2015, 1:18:33 PM10/19/15
to acsacr...@googlegroups.com
Oops….typing too fast. I am GOOD any night and not GOD any night.
Funny.

Wagner Seiss

Oct 19, 2015, 2:57:42 PM10/19/15
to acsacr...@googlegroups.com, tsim...@archvista.com, JMa...@graphisoft.com, cstr...@mognot.com, dmog...@mognot.com
O’God this is to good.  I am good any night except Thursday nights.

Seiss

On Oct 19, 2015, at 10:08 AM, Miles Ostermann <in...@milestonestudio.com> wrote:

I am god any weeknight except Wednesdays. I have to drive no matter what, so location does not matter to me.
Miles

<5F36695D-C5BF-4890-832E-35C672B04EFF[9].png><A6475571-36BD-4C57-BEFE-E522470AB515[9].png>
<5F36695D-C5BF-4890-832E-35C672B04EFF[9].png><A6475571-36BD-4C57-BEFE-E522470AB515[9].png>

Jacek Lisiewicz

Oct 19, 2015, 3:44:17 PM10/19/15
to acsacr...@googlegroups.com, tsim...@archvista.com, JMa...@graphisoft.com, cstr...@mognot.com, dmog...@mognot.com
This is GOD speaking here.
I am good all evenings except Thursday and Friday, occupied with preparations for the Shabes....

From my iPhone
Jacek

Saxon Sigerson

Dec 4, 2015, 11:53:58 PM12/4/15
to ACSacramento, Robert Ty Hoblitt
Hey All,  do we want to get together for a beer and a bite to eat?

name some days that work

Miles Ostermann

Dec 5, 2015, 10:36:53 AM12/5/15
to acsacr...@googlegroups.com
I’m in. Wednesdays are the only day that does not work for me.
Miles

PS Anybody interested in a bit of modeling work?

logo2alogo

Miles Ostermann, Designer

Gerard Falla

Dec 7, 2015, 11:52:10 AM12/7/15
to acsacr...@googlegroups.com
Re: modeling:

These days I only do head shots and distant action shots…. I use a standard model release such as can be found on the NAPP website, and my day rates are reasonable – I’ve life drawing figure work background, and so can do dynamic gesture sketch poses, flowing from one to another with gaps of 0:30 – 1:30 depending upon difficulty and how advanced the drawing class is… ;]

Sounds great. A non-Wednesday coming up soon then – where?

GERARD FALLA,

BIM GURU

DESIGNER & IT MANAGER

20 years logo_110dpi_1x1

MOGAVERO NOTESTINE ASSOCIATES

2012 K Street,  Sacramento,  CA   95811

916.443.1033       http://www.mognot.com

This message may contain confidential and/or privileged information. If you are not the addressee or authorized to receive this for the addressee, you must not use, copy, disclose or take any action based on this message or any information herein and should delete this message. No representation is made that this email or any attachments are free of viruses. Virus scanning is recommended and is the responsibility of the recipient.

5F36695D-C5BF-4890-832E-35C672B04EFF[62].png
A6475571-36BD-4C57-BEFE-E522470AB515[62].png
B87AA615-FA77-441E-AB04-2CE4DA4F8A51.png

Saxon Sigerson

Miles Ostermann

Dec 7, 2015, 12:56:09 PM12/7/15
to acsacr...@googlegroups.com
Both work for me.
Miles

logo2alogo

Miles Ostermann, Designer

Wagner Seiss

Dec 7, 2015, 4:20:33 PM12/7/15
to acsacr...@googlegroups.com
Same for me, both days work, just set one.

Seiss

Saxon Sigerson

Dec 8, 2015, 1:38:23 PM12/8/15
to ACSacramento, Robert Ty Hoblitt
Hi feels like it would be good to get more than three of us for a minimum to make it a go

Saxon

Saxon Sigerson AIA

Check out my architecture blog
http://saxonsangles.wordpress.com

Sigerson Architects
7940 California Avenue, Suite 4
Fair Oaks, CA 95628
T  (916) 863-6470
sa...@sigersonarchitects.com
http://sigersonarchitects.com/

Jacek Lisiewicz

Dec 8, 2015, 1:55:14 PM12/8/15
to acsacr...@googlegroups.com, Robert Ty Hoblitt
I will break the tide and commit. It will be a hectic week for me, so I am staying quiet on the sideline a bit.
But count me in!

From my iPhone
Jacek

Saxon Sigerson

Dec 8, 2015, 2:29:35 PM12/8/15
to ACSacramento, Robert Ty Hoblitt
ok, lets go for Monday the 14th 6pm at burgers and brew

Saxon

Saxon Sigerson AIA

Check out my architecture blog
http://saxonsangles.wordpress.com

Sigerson Architects
7940 California Avenue, Suite 4
Fair Oaks, CA 95628
T  (916) 863-6470
sa...@sigersonarchitects.com
http://sigersonarchitects.com/

Miles Ostermann

Dec 8, 2015, 2:39:26 PM12/8/15
to acsacr...@googlegroups.com
Sounds good.

From: <acsacr...@googlegroups.com> on behalf of Saxon AIA <sa...@sigersonarchitects.com>
Date: Tuesday, December 8, 2015 at 11:29 AM
To: ACSacramento <acsacr...@googlegroups.com>
Cc: Robert Ty Hoblitt <r...@firmdesign.pro>

Wagner Seiss

Dec 9, 2015, 12:43:04 AM12/9/15
to acsacr...@googlegroups.com
Its on my calendar.

Seiss

On Dec 8, 2015, at 11:39 AM, Miles Ostermann <mi...@milestonestudio.com> wrote:

Sounds good.
Miles

<5F36695D-C5BF-4890-832E-35C672B04EFF[17].png><A6475571-36BD-4C57-BEFE-E522470AB515[17].png>
<5F36695D-C5BF-4890-832E-35C672B04EFF[17].png><A6475571-36BD-4C57-BEFE-E522470AB515[17].png>

Gerard Falla

Zoltan Szabo

Dec 10, 2015, 12:02:20 PM12/10/15
to acsacr...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone,
I’m a new member in this group. Gerard included me, please blame him for that. I’ll most likely be there also.

ZOLTAN A. SZABO

BIM MANAGER

From: <acsacr...@googlegroups.com> on behalf of Wagner Seiss <sei...@gmail.com>
Date: Tuesday, December 8, 2015 at 9:43 PM
To: "acsacr...@googlegroups.com" <acsacr...@googlegroups.com>

Jacek Lisiewicz

Dec 10, 2015, 12:29:08 PM12/10/15
to acsacr...@googlegroups.com
Not the Zoltan Szabo of the "Locomotive" group fame..!!?  But I date myself...

From my iPhone
Jacek

On Dec 10, 2015, at 09:02, Zoltan Szabo <zsz...@mogaveroarchitects.com> wrote:

Hi everyone,
I’m a new member in this group. Gerard included me, please blame him for that. I’ll most likely be there also.

ZOLTAN A. SZABO

BIM MANAGER

<163E3477-8609-4EA1-BA1E-49CDAFCB1618[1].png>

Gerard Falla

Dec 10, 2015, 12:42:34 PM12/10/15
to acsacr...@googlegroups.com
And here I thought he was Zoltan Szabo the famous watercolourist… shows what I know about my own colleague!

Gerard Falla,

Designer, BIM Guru & IT Manager

MOGAVERO ARCHITECTS

MOGAVERO ARCHITECTS

2012 K Street, Sacramento, CA 95811

From: "acsacr...@googlegroups.com" <acsacr...@googlegroups.com> on behalf of Jacek Lisiewicz <arkhos...@comcast.net>
Date: Thursday, December 10, 2015 at 9:28 AM
To: "acsacr...@googlegroups.com" <acsacr...@googlegroups.com>

Zoltan Szabo

Jacek Lisiewicz

Dec 10, 2015, 1:07:06 PM12/10/15
to acsacr...@googlegroups.com
Maybe a colorist or a mathematician.
Unfortunately, not a member
Of the LGT or the Locomotive Group. A very popular name in Hungary, and due to my advanced age, I confused it with another...
Still have the original LP of their first album from 1972. Year I graduated high school. Good rock and roll!
From my iPhone
Jacek

Zoltan Szabo

Dec 10, 2015, 1:11:04 PM12/10/15
to acsacr...@googlegroups.com
It’s a common name in Hungary. Hungarian WP has 22 listed on the disambiguation page. (I thank my parents’ foresight for giving us middle names)
I didn’t know there was a Szabo Zoltan in LGT. Or are we thinking of two different things?

Zoli

From: <acsacr...@googlegroups.com> on behalf of Jacek Lisiewicz <arkhos...@comcast.net>
Date: Thursday, December 10, 2015 at 9:28 AM

Saxon Sigerson

Jul 26, 2016, 9:18:21 PM7/26/16
to ACSacramento
I may have run this by you all some time back.   I modeled the last couple sites with the mesh tool and like the way
it can be used to pick up the topo line elevations from the civil drawing.  What I don’t like is the terrain undulations are not too visible and am thinking of going back
to using the slab tool which gives you this stepped looking site but is readable.

What are you all doing and is there a way to see the undulations with the mesh tool?

thanks

fallag69

Jul 26, 2016, 9:20:35 PM7/26/16
to acsacr...@googlegroups.com
In the 2d appearance setti g in the terrain tool you can set so that only user ridges appear...

Sent from my T-Mobile 4G LTE Device

Saxon Sigerson

Jul 27, 2016, 12:18:38 AM7/27/16
to ACSacramento
i don’t see that as an option in the mesh tool,  and you mean mesh not terrrain correct?

Saxon

Saxon Sigerson AIA

Check out my architecture blog
http://saxonsangles.wordpress.com

Sigerson Architects
7940 California Avenue, Suite 4
Fair Oaks, CA 95628
T  (916) 863-6470
sa...@sigersonarchitects.com
http://sigersonarchitects.com/

Gerard Falla

Jul 27, 2016, 12:37:21 AM7/27/16
to acsacr...@googlegroups.com

and this looks like this:

Saxon Sigerson

Jul 27, 2016, 11:24:21 AM7/27/16
to ACSacramento
thanks Gerard,  I got it and tried it but I still feel like I want the undulations to be more 3dish looking.  It is as though a different lighting angle might do it better.

Saxon

Saxon Sigerson AIA

Check out my architecture blog
http://saxonsangles.wordpress.com

Sigerson Architects
7940 California Avenue, Suite 4
Fair Oaks, CA 95628
T  (916) 863-6470
sa...@sigersonarchitects.com
http://sigersonarchitects.com/

On Jul 26, 2016, at 9:37 PM, Gerard Falla <fall...@gmail.com> wrote:

<PastedGraphic-1.tiff>

and this looks like this:

<PastedGraphic-2.tiff>

Saxon Sigerson

Jul 27, 2016, 11:48:08 AM7/27/16
to ACSacramento
Well I just found a Bobrow tutorial on terrrain modeling and showing how to use the mesh tool to fit a driveway into a sloping site.  It is making me rethink
and look to stay with the mesh since doing that with a series of slabs would be a pain

Saxon

Saxon Sigerson AIA

Check out my architecture blog
http://saxonsangles.wordpress.com

Sigerson Architects
7940 California Avenue, Suite 4
Fair Oaks, CA 95628
T  (916) 863-6470
sa...@sigersonarchitects.com
http://sigersonarchitects.com/

Jose Flores

Jul 27, 2016, 12:29:59 PM7/27/16
to acsacr...@googlegroups.com
Unless you you were specifically after the "stepped” look... the mesh tool is the best for the job.

Jose I. M. Flores, Jr.

Website: www.jifhub.com