Call for Participants in Study on Research Literature Acquisition

Lance Eaton

Sep 8, 2022, 9:13:53 AM9/8/22
to ACRL NEC News

Greetings,

I’m Lance Eaton, the Director of Digital Pedagogy at College Unbound in Rhode Island and also, a doctoral student at the University of Massachusetts, Boston.  My dissertation explores scholars seeking research literature on Sci-Hub, LibGen, and other social media spaces (e.g. r/Scholar on Reddit, #ICanHazPDF on Twitter).

I am posting a call for participants in the study here with the hopes that some of you might be willing to read a bit more about the study (Study page hereinformed consent here).  If you meet the criteria below,  consider filling out this consent form and intake survey:

  1. Self-identify as a scholar or researcher
  2. May or may not be affiliated with a higher education institute
  3. Located in the United States or affiliated with an institution in the United States
  4. Have used Sci-Hub, Library Genesis (LibGen), Reddit/Scholar, Twitter (#ICanHazPDF) or some other online space to access research literature that you used (or plan to use) to complete your own research.

If you don’t fit the criteria but know people in your network that might, please feel free share this on your networks using your own words or by resharing these posts (TwitterFacebookLinkedIn) that I’ve already created.

Of course, if you would like to know me before filling out the form, you are welcome to contact me directly (lance...@protonmail.com).

Thank you!

Lance Eaton
he/him/his
I wish I had all the answers; better yet, I wish I knew all the questions to ask.

What am I reading of late?  Funny you should ask...