How to use in eclipse rather than Android Studio

JMoore

Sep 18, 2018, 3:45:53 PM9/18/18
to acra-discuss
Due to issues with Android Studio, I have to test my app with Eclipse ADT, so I need to build with Eclipse.

How do I use modern ACRA with Eclipse? I have an ancient version that I have used in this app for many years, but I want to update it.

I tried "bash gradlew build" in my copy of the ACRA repo, but the resulting jars do not have the classes I need - for example, AcraCore.

Thanks in advance.

Darrin Smith

Sep 18, 2018, 4:05:09 PM9/18/18
to acra-d...@googlegroups.com
Don't mean to hijack this, but it might make more sense to resolve any Android Studio issues you have than to use Eclipse. AS is the standard now. What issues are you facing?

JMoore

Sep 18, 2018, 9:14:03 PM9/18/18
to acra-discuss
Hi,

Thanks for your response.

The reason for using Eclipses is problem others have reported: Instant run debugging not working. I have a very complex (and with NDK) legacy app that was blowing up immediately on starting, so I needed to stop in a break point in the onCreate. That meant that starting the app on the device and then connecting the debugger to it was not acceptable.

Shortly after I started this thread, I found a work-around that is ugly but seems to work. When the instant run is waiting to start, if you click on "attach degger to Android process", it appears to connect before the app really starts. I hope that continues to work.

Eclipse, needless to say, does not have this deficiency. I wasted a huge amount of time before I found the work-around.

Still, it would be nice to be able to generate ACRA jars to use in legacy apps.

Darrin Smith

Sep 18, 2018, 10:48:12 PM9/18/18
to acra-d...@googlegroups.com

JMoore

Sep 19, 2018, 7:09:14 PM9/19/18
to acra-discuss
Thanks. That doesn't solve it. But... the workaround is adequate.

So I am now trying using Android Studio. Sorry to divert the thread.