Invoking dialog programmatically

Jay

Nov 14, 2016, 2:04:32 AM11/14/16
to acra-discuss
I've managed to get ACRA incorporated, and I'm really looking forward to having a *much* better set of data to help me diagnose various issues.

One thing I'd like is a "Report A Bug" that a user can invoke directly.

Basically, I'd like to have a menu item which opens the standard ACRA Crash Dialog, but without having an exception to trigger it. I want all the data that ACRA is going to collect in addition to whatever the user wants to tell me. I'd also like to have this report sent to an email instead of posted to the acralyzer backend that I have setup.

I'm using "silent" reporting for the normal case of catching errors and submitting them.

I have done a bit of digging through the source, and it doesn't look like there's anything that can do this. It doesn't look like it'd be a crazy amount of work, but before I try to find the time to put together a pull request, I wanted to check if there's a way -- even if it's a bit hacky -- to accomplish this.

Thanks,

jay

William Ferguson

Nov 14, 2016, 11:26:19 PM11/14/16
to acra-discuss
Well, allowing hack solutions, you could:
  • Throw your own UncheckedException which ACRA will catch and handle thereby showing the ACRA dialog.
  • If you want SpecialUncheckedException to go to the EmailSender and all other to go to your ACRA server, you would need to provide your own Senders that only sent on the required Exceptions.

William