How do you target a column to open files/execute commands in at startup ?

nvictor

Oct 8, 2012, 8:07:59 PM10/8/12
to acme...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I have a couple of folders and files I like having opened up at startup. I have this in my profile:

"acme -a /n/C/Users/victor/Dropbox /n/C/Users/victor/Documents/Projects /usr/victor/"

They open in the left column, and since they are folders I usually move them to the right. Is there a way to open them in that column ?

My other question is about new files. I haven't really found a good way for creating a buffer and a window for editing new files. I usually change the title of an existing window and use the Put command. Any better way to achieve this ?

Thanks

roger peppe

Oct 11, 2012, 6:42:12 AM10/11/12
to acme...@googlegroups.com
On 9 October 2012 01:07, nvictor <noagbod...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a couple of folders and files I like having opened up at startup. I
> have this in my profile:
>
> "acme -a /n/C/Users/victor/Dropbox /n/C/Users/victor/Documents/Projects
> /usr/victor/"
>
> They open in the left column, and since they are folders I usually move them
> to the right. Is there a way to open them in that column ?

I usually start acme with acme -l $home/acme.dump

then I'll save my acme settings by executing Dump.

> My other question is about new files. I haven't really found a good way for
> creating a buffer and a window for editing new files. I usually change the
> title of an existing window and use the Put command. Any better way to
> achieve this ?

I usually type "echo>filename" in a tag, then ESC and middle-click it.
You can also use New filename if you don't mind the error message
it pops up.

nvictor

Oct 14, 2012, 5:41:42 PM10/14/12
to acme...@googlegroups.com
Thanks

app

Jul 14, 2015, 8:30:15 AM7/14/15
to acme...@googlegroups.com
I would have thought that the idiom for new file creation and edit is:

Middle-click New to open a window.

Edit more or less. At this point, you don't have to decide the file name.
Often it makes no sense to decide the name before deciding the
contents.

When you want to save to Acme working directory, write the file name to the beginning of the tag line. Middle-click Put.

If you want to save far from the working directory of Acme, you obviously have to write the path to tag line.
Or you may open a directory first, clear the contents, write new content, add filename to the path in tag line and then Put.