More advanced videos please?

app

Sep 8, 2015, 5:10:44 AM9/8/15
to acme-sac
There must be more ambitious ways to use Acme, than I master.  Writing a book with minimal editing effort. Organizing my disk with clever file management commands. Sophisticated command line handling (never type the same string twice).

Could you people post complete videos of usual Acme work patterns, during bigger projects? Most Acme videos that I can find are simple tutorials that do not describe longer, effective real life work processes...

I am currently trying to devise effective ways for file management. How do you search, open, move, rename, compare combine, dvide and cut and paste files and chunks of text between files and windows? What is an efficient and fast way to do this, preferably with a few mouse clicks and simple, general command line interactions and commands?

Another thing I am thinking about: efficient use of 2-1 chord is beyond me currently. I don't know how to really benefit of it.

Yes, you be less ambitious and resort to old ways for many stuff and only use Acme for the most typical, limited functions: editing and running simple commands... But I wonder, if you could do more, faster, easier and with greater satisfaction withj advanced Acme magic... ;-)

Erez Schatz

Sep 8, 2015, 5:17:48 AM9/8/15
to acme...@googlegroups.com

Don't know if you already seen it, but rsc's video has many of acme's neater stuff in it http://research.swtch.com/acme

--

---

fge...@gmail.com

Sep 8, 2015, 5:50:35 AM9/8/15
to acme...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Sep 8, 2015 at 11:10 AM, app <portt...@gmail.com> wrote:
> There must be more ambitious ways to use Acme, than I master.
Similar ambivalent feeling here for the last ~10-15 years.
Maybe because acme as a _tool_ literally feels both
1. like it is an order of magnitude more versatile than any text editor and
2. it can be used as a trivially simple text editor as well.

Probably it's like dumping the complete collection of
www.lego.com/en-us/technic and mindstorms.lego.com on the carpet in
front of a 6 year old.

> Could you people post complete videos of usual Acme work patterns, during
> bigger projects? Most Acme videos that I can find are simple tutorials that
> do not describe longer, effective real life work processes...
Can't help with those, though you might find these useful:

for me Peter's response was the most useful:
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/comp.os.plan9/7KGswJEWd7c

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/catenate/acme-fonts/master/test/1/acme/Edit/sam

http://sam.cat-v.org/cheatsheet/

> Another thing I am thinking about: efficient use of 2-1 chord is beyond me
> currently. I don't know how to really benefit of it.
I almost never use 2-1, - similar ambivalent feeling -, though you
might find this useful:
https://www.mail-archive.com/9f...@9fans.net/msg34174.html

app

Sep 8, 2015, 9:34:26 AM9/8/15
to acme-sac
Yes, that's the best video I know. More similar, please!

app

Sep 9, 2015, 5:31:49 AM9/9/15
to acme-sac
I promise to do one... when I get a it more hang of it.

At least I found use for 2-1-relase2 click. This way you only need to have command word (e.g. Edit) in the window tag and the get the paranmeters from a scracth list elsewhere. Before this I was annoyed, because both the command word and paramerers (e.g. s/^TAB//g) always had to be copied to the target window, where the text is, to the tag or body. Why this is not explained in the docs?

app

Sep 9, 2015, 5:33:25 AM9/9/15
to acme-sac
Änd I strongly recommend reading the original sam paper. It teaches the Edit command language nicely.

Rudolf Sykora

Sep 9, 2015, 5:38:46 AM9/9/15
to acme...@googlegroups.com
On 9 September 2015 at 11:31, app <portt...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I promise to do one... when I get a it more hang of it.
>
> At least I found use for 2-1-relase2 click. This way you only need to have
> command word (e.g. Edit) in the window tag and the get the paranmeters from
> a scracth list elsewhere. Before this I was annoyed, because both the
> command word and paramerers (e.g. s/^TAB//g) always had to be copied to the
> target window, where the text is, to the tag or body. Why this is not
> explained in the docs?

If I remember well, once your command is a multiline one, you actually
have to have it elsewhere (not in the tag line, I mean).

Also, I found Russ' Run command (see the archive) useful.

Ruda

Rudolf Sykora

Sep 9, 2015, 5:47:30 AM9/9/15
to acme...@googlegroups.com
On 9 September 2015 at 11:33, app <portt...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Änd I strongly recommend reading the original sam paper. It teaches the Edit
> command language nicely.

Sure. But beware there are still rough edges with the sam's
command language. See, e.g.,

On 6 August 2012 Rob Pike:
> I'm not justifying the behavior, just explaining it. This is really
> old code with, I admit, some quirky properties. I often think of
> rewriting the address code in sam and acme but never do, because a
> rewrite would change the behavior of corner cases and break people's
> scripts.

Or the discussion from 21/08/2013
"anchors broken in the g command in sam on p9p?"

Almost nothing is ideal, and many things are broken... :)

Ruda

app

Dec 21, 2016, 5:35:38 AM12/21/16
to acme-sac
I am getting back to this on a more focused question: how to manage files in Acme?

1. I can't even decide how to creata a file in a directory with a long path. Open the directory, then copy the path, then 2-click New, then paste path? Feels a bit complex, but I guess I can manage? It is a hard sell to a casual workmate, when I am planning to teach Acme to them.

2. How to run a command with arguments from a multiline listing? Like how to delete multiple files from a directory or from any list of files names from any command? What I do now is: list some files (or narrow a directory listing to one column), then select them, execute "Edit s/\n/ /g" to remove newlines, then write a command to the beginning (like "rm"), then execute? Tricky and I make mistakes easily.

Caerwyn Jones

Dec 23, 2016, 6:04:04 PM12/23/16
to acme...@googlegroups.com
1. 3-click on /a/very/long/path  to open a new window on that directory in acme.  Then type in that window "New myfilename" and select with the 2-button the command New and the filename.  You'll get a new window with the full path filename.

2. The shell supports parentheses for groupings. With your directory listing could put parens around the beginning and end of the names:
rm ( file1
file2
file3
file4)