E-Mail attachements

Dale Beams

Jul 30, 2015, 2:32:03 PM7/30/15
to aclug-di...@googlegroups.com
Hi.

Now I need help. My ISP tells me there is no limit on e-mail
attachments that I send via SNMP through a third party e-mail service.
However I and others are having problems getting files above a certain
megabyte limit beyond our e-mail clients. What would be the best way to
test SNMP protocol limits.?

Dale

David Carmichael

Jul 30, 2015, 2:41:28 PM7/30/15
to aclug-di...@googlegroups.com
I have found that it is best to use some other service where you can upload files to and allow the other party download and not mess with the email limits.

"Time spent with cats is never wasted." - Sigmund Freud
I live in my own little world. But it's OK. They know me here.
Growing older is mandatory... Growing up is optional...
Wii Address: 0441-6820-0158-3757 / Mario Kart Wii: 3052-0348-5504 / XBox 360 ID: FrontwardLeaf6

Jonathan Hall

Jul 30, 2015, 2:50:42 PM7/30/15
to aclug-di...@googlegroups.com
That depends on the mail server. If the mail server supports the
option, you can telnet to port 25 of the mail server, and issue an EHLO
command:

> # telnet gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com. 25

< Trying

< 64.233.169.26...

< Connected to gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com.

< Escape character is '^]'.

< 220 mx.google.com ESMTP 203si1683240oic.114 - gsmtp

> EHLO bob

< 250-mx.google.com at your service, [38.101.148.27]

< 250-SIZE 35882577

< 250-8BITMIME

< 250-STARTTLS

< 250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES

< 250-PIPELINING

< 250-CHUNKING

< 250 SMTPUTF8

From the response to the EHLO command, you can see that the enforced
size limit is 35882577 bytes (roughly 34.22mb).

Not all mail servers support this, though. If yours does not, your only
option is likely trial and error, and/or hope that if you send a message
that exceeds their size limit, the error message they return tells you
the enforced size limit.

-- Jonathan

Steve Sanet

Jul 30, 2015, 5:06:19 PM7/30/15
to aclug-di...@googlegroups.com
There isn't a limit as far as the protocol goes. It depends on the the
configuration of the email server you are relaying through. However the
final destination of the email may have limits as well so it could vary.
For anything over several MB I agree with David 's suggestion.

Steve

Sent with AquaMail for Android
http://www.aqua-mail.com