ZOMG - IT'S ALIVE!

Jason King

Nov 22, 2014, 2:42:14 PM11/22/14
to acl9-d...@googlegroups.com

After 4 years of nearly zero activity, and with a huge hat-tip to Oleg who has been really encouraging and generous with my requests, acl9 is being resurrected.

I'm in the final stages of preparing a 1.0 release that's ready for Rails 4.0 and 4.1 with Ruby 2.0 and 2.1.  Yes, you heard it folks, we're actually going to support the version of Rails released in June 2013 :)

I know, I know, you've heard this all before. Others have said they were going to do this, then things fizzled out. But this time it's different, how do I know this? Well, because I already have a working Rails4 branch :P  That's right folks, it's the old "don't announce it until you already have it" trick!

So, what are the highlights?
  1. Getting involved is easier, ie. you should be able to just `bundle && rake`
  2. The tests are all in xunit now because rspec is ugly, slow and cumbersome (and the whole test suite now runs in 3 seconds (on my machine ;))
  3. The deprecation warnings are GOOOOONE
  4. That annoying "Stack level too deep" bug is fixed
  5. There's now an actual license for the project
  6. The gemspec specifies the license (and doesn't have the date hardcoded anymore)
  7. The wiki is New and Improved™ - with a lot of work still left to do there
  8. WIP: The README is being reduced to something more consumable (because all the nitty gritty details are now in the wiki)
  9. The README is now in markdown, so it's easier to transfer things out into the wiki
  10. We've adopted SemVer officially
  11. The issues are groomed and in milestones
  12. CI is now happening on Travis
  13. Code quality is now happening on CodeClimate
  14. We're testing against Rails 4.0 and 4.1 in both Ruby 2.0 and 2.1 now
  15. We're officially not supporting Rails < 4 or Ruby < 2 in the 1.x releases (we'll bow to peer pressure if there is any)
  16. WIP: `protect_global_roles` is true by default for 1.0.0
  17. We're now on IRC as #acl9 (on freenode)
See the roadmap in github (also a WIP), check out the new CONTRIBUTING guide and maybe get back involved. Tell your friends and standby for a merge to master and 1.0.0 gem release later today.

Jason King

Nov 23, 2014, 1:45:07 AM11/23/14
to acl9-d...@googlegroups.com
Ok, so I just pushed 1.0.0 - the Rails4+ build.  Yay!

Jason King

Nov 29, 2014, 7:04:02 PM11/29/14
to acl9-d...@googlegroups.com
More good news. acl9 1.0.0 works perfectly with Rails 4.2 RC1. I had to make a small change to the test fixtures we were using in the dummy test app in acl9 to account for the `timestamps` change, but that was just an issue in the test code.