Link to the latest ack executable version

Relipuj

May 17, 2019, 11:28:20 AM5/17/19
to ack users
Hello,

I hope this is the place to send suggestions for the website.

It would be practical to have a link to the latest ack executable version. Currently on the install page, https://beyondgrep.com/install/ , there is:

It might be useful to also have:

Thanks for ack, and for all your work
& Have a nice day :-)
Relipuj

Andy Lester

May 17, 2019, 11:31:31 AM5/17/19
to ack-...@googlegroups.com
I hope this is the place to send suggestions for the website.

Sure, this works.  There’s also a GitHub repo at https://github.com/beyondgrep/website/ where you can submit issues.

It would be practical to have a link to the latest ack executable version. Currently on the install page, https://beyondgrep.com/install/ , there is:

It might be useful to also have:

Can you say more about your use case?  How would this help you?  Are you just wanting to always get the latest version when you install it on different machines?

Thanks,
Andy

Relipuj

May 17, 2019, 2:24:40 PM5/17/19
to ack users
Can you say more about your use case?  How would this help you?  Are you just wanting to always get the latest version when you install it on different machines?

Exactly, it is just to put in a download script that use a link to the latest version and chmod it.

I know i could use the package manager since ack is available on every linux distro i happen to cross. but sometimes it's not a computer i own, or it's on a windows machine, or it is just to search/show something and i download it in a folder, then delete it when i'm done. I'm not sure it can be useful to tons of people, but i'm sure i'm not the only one ;) For example, youtube-dl uses https://yt-dl.org/downloads/latest/youtube-dl

But you perhaps have a another idea, or there's already better solution?

Thanks,
Relipuj