Does anyone use the ACK_OPTIONS feature?

Andy Lester

Jan 8, 2018, 12:58:58 PM1/8/18
to ack-...@googlegroups.com

ACK_OPTIONS is analogous to GREP_OPTIONS, where you can pass commands in through an environment variable.

GREP_OPTIONS has been deprecated in GNU grep. Can we get rid of ACK_OPTIONS, too? Does anyone use it? It causes security headaches.

https://github.com/beyondgrep/ack3/issues/129

Thanks for your feedback.

Andy

Rod Bartlett

Jan 8, 2018, 1:17:07 PM1/8/18
to ack-...@googlegroups.com
I have been using the ACK_OPTIONS environment variable to limit my searches to portions of my source tree.  Our product is available on multiple hardware platforms and the executables are built from the same source tree with each using several hardware specific directories.  I tend to concentrate mostly on just one of those hardware platforms at a time.  I use ACK_OPTIONS to ignore various hardware specific directories which are not of interest to the issue I'm currently debugging.

That being said, I realize I could accomplish the same thing by specifying different ackrc files on the command line so it would not be more than a momentary inconvenience to stop using ACK_OPTIONS if that gets removed in the next release.

Thanks again for all the great work on ack!  This has become a key part of my development process.

 - Rod

Bill Ricker

Jan 8, 2018, 2:10:15 PM1/8/18
to ack-...@googlegroups.com
> That being said, I realize I could accomplish the same thing by specifying
> different ackrc files on the command line so it would not be more than a
> momentary inconvenience to stop using ACK_OPTIONS if that gets removed in
> the next release.

and a shell alias could package the --ackrc= suffix as easily (or
moreso) than it could package the ACK_OPTIONS= prefix.

--
Bill Ricker
bill....@gmail.com