FreeBSD port for ack: now or wait for version 3?

James E Keenan

Jan 31, 2018, 10:09:19 PM1/31/18
to ack-...@googlegroups.com
AFAICT there is no FreeBSD port for CPAN distribution App-Ack, including
the ack command-line utility.

I have lately been getting my feet wet with BSD ports (both FreeBSD and
OpenBSD) and am willing to create such a port.

However, I sense that a new version of ack is soon to appear. So I
wonder whether I should port version 2 or wait for version 3?

Thank you very much.
Jim Keenan

James E Keenan

Jan 31, 2018, 10:13:48 PM1/31/18
to ack-...@googlegroups.com
On 01/31/2018 10:09 PM, James E Keenan wrote:
> AFAICT there is no FreeBSD port for CPAN distribution App-Ack, including
> the ack command-line utility.

Well, further search shows my error:

https://svnweb.freebsd.org/ports/head/textproc/p5-ack/

And since the port was just updated about a month ago, no intervention
on my part is needed.

jungle boogie

Feb 3, 2018, 3:59:02 PM2/3/18
to ack-...@googlegroups.com
Thus said James E Keenan on Wed, 31 Jan 2018 22:09:15 -0500
As a freeBSD user, I don't use the port for ack. I simply download the
single file and put it in my ~/bin directory.

You could do that and report any errors you have when using ack on
freeBSD, that way when it's out of beta, we'll know it works well in the
port/package.

https://beyondgrep.com/ack3/