--hugeackman

Ron Strelecki

Aug 27, 2018, 11:46:00 AM8/27/18
to ack users
Whenever I have huge files, and I am using ack, I always think of Hugh Jackman.

I think there should be: $ ack --hugeackman in honor of Hugh Jackman. Cause, y'know, ack slashes through those files like Wolverine.

Bill Ricker

Aug 27, 2018, 12:51:12 PM8/27/18
to ack-...@googlegroups.com
Yeah, i really liked the riddle that circulated a few years back,
"Q. Why does Wolverine not use GREP?
"A. Because Wolverine is a huge Ack-man!"

If someone wants to make --hugeackman / --hughjackman / --wolverine happen,
I would /guess/ Andy will cheerfully include it if it's as easy as not ...,
so someone would need to either
(a) make or procure a new-for-purpose _open-licensed_ (1) ASCII-Art Fan-Art Wolverine file
or
(b) contact author(s) of an existing fan-art ASCII-art and solicit explicit permission to use their fan-art in an FLOSS project per (1).
  or author unknown via  alt.asciiart group  https://www.asciiart.eu/comics/x-men

// Bill

(1) Licensed preferably under same as the project
   Artistic 2.0 License http://www.perlfoundation.org/artistic_license_2_0
but any DFSG(2) compatible license should work, e.g. any combination of CC/CC-CC0=PD/CC-BY/CC-SA .
(Alas GFDL is not acceptable since we include the Ascii Art in a source file; likewise are CC-ND/CC-NC are non-free and unacceptable.)
WHY: Since Ack is packaged by Debian, we need either documented public-domain (PD) status or demonstrable license-compatible status for all reused components for the whole project to be in DFSG compliance. We had to switch text files in the test suite because academic fair-use literary extracts didn't cut it; Ack'ing a literary file for a character name does not meet the "speaks to the original" test for Fair Use performance/remix. Alas not everything you can download is legal to republish, it might not even be legally published there.)

On Mon, Aug 27, 2018 at 11:46 AM Ron Strelecki <ronstr...@gmail.com> wrote:
Whenever I have huge files, and I am using ack, I always think of Hugh Jackman.

I think there should be: $ ack --hugeackman in honor of Hugh Jackman. Cause, y'know, ack slashes through those files like Wolverine.

Andy Lester

Aug 27, 2018, 12:53:37 PM8/27/18
to ack-...@googlegroups.com

On Aug 27, 2018, at 11:50 AM, Bill Ricker <bill....@gmail.com> wrote:

If someone wants to make --hugeackman / --hughjackman / --wolverine happen,
I would /guess/ Andy will cheerfully include it if it's as easy as not ...,

I have plans for our new mascot in ack 3.  Let’s just let this be for now.