How do we feel about release 2.16?

Andy Lester

Feb 12, 2016, 4:20:21 PM2/12/16
to ack...@googlegroups.com
How do we feel about releasing the current dev branch as 2.16?

Have y’all been using it?

How does the queue feel?

--
Andy Lester => www.petdance.com

Bill Ricker

Feb 12, 2016, 6:07:43 PM2/12/16
to Andy Lester, ack...@googlegroups.com

​> ​
And did you mean to not reply to ack-dev?

​No, should-a hit REPLY ALL ...​

On Fri, Feb 12, 2016 at 4:20 PM, Andy Lester <an...@petdance.com> wrote:
How do we feel about releasing the current dev branch as 2.16?

Have y’all been using it?

​Good & Yes ? ​
​I haven't noticed any problems with ack 2.15_02 as my everyday ack.
And i do use it everyday on my gig.

​> ​
Yeah, is there anything in the bug queue that you think “oh no, this has to get fixed first”.

​Of the 6 that are tagged PRIORITY 1 ... which ought to be where any release blockers are found ... the first two are plausible release blocks. All should be Fixed, closed, or down-rated before from Priority 1 before release?
  • \s matches newline characters  #589 opened Jan 1, 2016 by hoelzro
    • \n is whitespace sometimes.
    • Is this a bug or a feature ?

  • Regexes that match the empty string send ack into an infinite loop #542 opened Mar 25, 2015 by epa
    • It's easy enough to make an overly complex, overly general RE that accidentally matches q(). Should handle that nicely ...
    • Could warn and exit if q() =~ $pattern

Isn't this already done:

  • Make the -a warning be clear that it is unnecessary. #539 opened Mar 20, 2015 by petdance
  • Fix, close, or down-rate.

​Did our response to the CVE result in 414 & 421 getting fixed or made less critical ?

  • Stop using eval() for --output feature #421 opened Dec 13, 2013 by petdance 2.16
  • Only allow --output and --regex on the command line #414 opened Dec 3, 2013 by petdance 2.16
    • worth doing anyway if not done already but if no longer critical could be down rated ?

If we haven't done it yet since 2013, it's not priority 1:

  • Verify against a stock 5.8.8  #383 opened Sep 20, 2013 by petdance
    • should be easy with Perlbrew ?