ack 1.78 is out

Andy Lester

Mar 24, 2008, 1:36:46 AM3/24/08
to ack-...@googlegroups.com, ack-an...@googlegroups.com
I just uploaded ack 1.78. I think we're getting close to a 2.0
release. All sorts of goodness in there if you haven't been following
the changes in the development releases.

xoxo,
Andy

1.78 Mon Mar 24 00:32:36 CDT 2008
[ENHANCEMENTS]
ack can now feed its output to a pager. It can be specified
with --pager on the command-line, or with the ACK_PAGER environment
variable. The --pager differs from piping the output on the
command line, because ack doesn't turn off coloring and grouping
if its output goes through the --pager.

Added CFMX support. Thanks, Will Coleda.

Added more extensions for --asm and --tcl. Added new
extension --batch for .bat and .cmd files. Thanks, Jan Dubois.

[FIXES]
Fighting the never-ending battle for Windows compatibility.
Thanks to Jan Dubois and Christoper J. Madsen.

[INTERNALS]
I removed t/pod-coverage.t, because I don't care about the
documentation. The user-servicable parts are only for for
hardcore ack hacks.

1.77_04 Fri Mar 14 00:23:46 CDT 2008
[FIXES]
--[no]ignore-dir option now works also with trailing slash
in the directory name.

A match on the last line of a file where the newline is
missing gets the newline added by ack for free!

[ENHANCEMENTS]
Added --break and --heading options. --group is the same as
--break --heading.

Ack gives a better error message when running with an illegal
regex.

Added Actionscript support. Thanks, Yuichi Tateno.

Added XML Entity file (.ent) support. Thanks, Tim Jenness.

[INTERNALS TESTING]
Fixed test count in case of skipped tests for ack-types.t.

Fixed test in run_ack for stderr output, again. This should no
longer report unexpected succeeds for TODO tests - and now really
work.

Changed method of capturing stderr in tests, should now work on
Windows. Thanks, Christopher J. Madsen!

Changed quoting of command line arguments and adjusted tests to
it. Thanks also for the idea this, Christopher J. Madsen!

And more stuff spotted by Christopher: ack-standalone is no longer
set to readonly on Windows.

More test fixes on Windows provided by Christopher J. Madsen and
Jan Dubois.

1.77_03 Wed Feb 20 11:16:43 CST 2008
[CHANGED FUNCTIONALITY]
ack -i -g=regex no longer treats the regex as case-insensitive.
This was changed for added consistency. Now -i, -w, -v and -Q
only apply to normal ack PATTERN while -g and -G are not affected
by these regex modifiers at all.

[ENHANCEMENTS]
Added option -G REGEX to search only files whose path+filename
matches REGEX. Thanks go to Michael Hendricks for providing a
patch!

Added option --[no]env to ignore all environment settings
including .ackrc.

Added a --[no]ignore-dir option, to include/exclude additional
directories. Many thanks for this patch go to Matthew Wickline!

Added option --match REGEX to specify a regex explicitly.

[FIXES]
Fixed bug with -v not finding all files correctly (introduced
with the performance optimizations in ack 1.75)

Removed spurious new line after last match in --group output.

Fixed typos in docs concerning context matching and removed
option --rc from docs, since it was never implemented.

[INTERNALS]
Fixed some cross-platform issues in the test cases.

Fixed test in run_ack for stderr output. This should no longer
report unexpected succeeds for TODO tests.

1.77_02 Mon Jan 28 16:19:30 CST 2008
[ENHANCEMENTS]
Added .lsp for --lisp, .st for --smalltalk.

Added testing for spurious output in the test suite.

1.77_01 Sun Jan 27 20:52:27 CST 2008
[CHANGED FUNCTIONALITY]
ack now always searches files given on the command line, even
if they are of the wrong type or not recognized or normally
skipped.

.bak files are now automatically skipped. I don't know how I
missed this before.

[FIXES]
Added a test for the Perl 5.10 regex bug fixed in 1.76.

Made the regex for --thppptttt a little more robust. It used
to have to end with a single "t", but now it's more flexible.

Changed year in copyright note to 2008.

Updated references in README (removed link to CPAN RT Queue).

Fixed a problem with files with non-native line-ending (DOS or
MacOS on Unix). Instead of the matching line an empty line was
output. This was reported by multiple people, thanks!

Rewrote a test to work around a bug in old versions of
Test::More (before 0.48_2).

Fixed ack failure when encountering unreadable files. Reported
by David Dyck, thank you!

[ENHANCEMENTS]
Ack warns now when the files/directories given on the command
line don't exist.

Finally ack allows you to define your own types! See options
--type-set and --type-add. There are some restrictions left,
but it should suffice for most things.

--
Andy Lester => an...@petdance.com => www.petdance.com => AIM:petdance