how to make it work form behind proxy

SXiPRATEEK

Aug 20, 2010, 10:54:43 AM8/20/10
to acis.p2p.users
how to make it work form behind proxy

P. Oscar Boykin

Aug 20, 2010, 11:45:06 AM8/20/10
to acisp2...@googlegroups.com
I thought this day would come....

So far, there is no support for Proxies, if you mean a SOCKS proxy, or
HTTP proxy.

It would not be very difficult to add such support, but so far no one
has done it.

Pierre might be able to prove me wrong, as I think he mentioned a tool
that can convert any program to use SOCKS.

To implement support, we would just need to add a new EdgeListener
type (such as SocksEdgeListener) which would connect to a SOCKS proxy
and create connections for the system.

What kind of proxy are you using? What programming experience do you
have? Are you interested in helping write this small piece of
software to make it work?

Best,

On Fri, Aug 20, 2010 at 10:54, SXiPRATEEK <sxipr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> how to make it work form behind proxy
>

> --

P. Oscar Boykin                            http://boykin.acis.ufl.edu
Assistant Professor, Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering
University of Florida

TelmoSa

Jan 29, 2011, 4:10:09 AM1/29/11
to acisp2...@googlegroups.com
Hello.
Thank you for this development.
I also have this problem.I am willing to give it a try devoloping the
EdgeListner. Can give some directions?
Thank you.
Telmo Sá

On Fri, Aug 20, 2010 at 10:54, SXiPRATEEK <sxiprat...@gmail.com>

wrote:
> how to make it work form behind proxy

P. Oscar Boykin

Jan 29, 2011, 9:25:22 AM1/29/11
to acisp2...@googlegroups.com
Are you behind a socks or HTTP proxy?

TelmoSa

Jan 30, 2011, 4:33:58 AM1/30/11
to acis.p2p.users
http proxy.
Telmo

P. Oscar Boykin

Jan 30, 2011, 11:35:44 AM1/30/11
to acisp2...@googlegroups.com
Does this HTTP proxy support HTTPS?

Telmo Sa

Jan 31, 2011, 4:35:32 AM1/31/11
to acisp2...@googlegroups.com
Yes.
Telmo

On Sun, Jan 30, 2011 at 4:35 PM, P. Oscar Boykin <boy...@pobox.com> wrote:
Does this HTTP proxy support HTTPS?

P. Oscar Boykin

Jan 31, 2011, 11:23:15 AM1/31/11
to acisp2...@googlegroups.com
Unfortunately, this week is very busy for me, but let me outline the approach.

First, we can use the CONNECT method of an HTTP proxy to open a
generic TCP connection:
http://www.codeproject.com/KB/IP/akashhttpproxy.aspx

So, this means, the node would connect only via outbound TCP
connections. Given enough nodes in the network, this should be okay,
because we also have the Relay connections. It will be an interesting
experiment.

How to implement this in code.

My thinking is to add an object to TcpEdgeListener to store the Proxy
data (IP address, potentially password). Then this object will be
rewritten:

https://github.com/johnynek/brunet/blob/master/src/Brunet/Transport/TcpEdgeListener.cs#L432

That is the object that manages the creation of new sockets. If there
is a proxy defined, we can make a different object which handles
putting the Proxy prefix mentioned in the lines of code above.

Perhaps the best idea is to subclass TcpEdgeListener, so as to keep
the code separate. In that case, CreateEdge would have to overridden
to talk to the Proxy as I mentioned.

I think this is a 1-2 day project for someone that knows the code
well. I'm interested in it, but I can't do it this week.

Anyone willing to take a stab is welcome and I'd be happy to give more guidance.

Best,

Telmo Sa