Google Business accounts

Marko Anikin

Aug 1, 2010, 12:49:51 PM8/1/10
to acis.p2p.users
Hello Everyone,

I am just starting with SocialVPN. It starts ok with my Gmail account.
I am trying to figure out why it doesn't login with a Google Business
account.

That account works with Google Talk, and Social Vpn can't log in with
it.

Thanks in advance for your time and help. It's a neat app you have!

marko

David Isaac Wolinsky

Aug 1, 2010, 1:04:52 PM8/1/10
to acisp2...@googlegroups.com
Do you know if the google business account use the same xmpp server as
the gmail account? What's the domain name for your business google
account? i.e., domain name of acisp2...@googlegroups.com is
googlegroups.com

Regards,
David

Pierre St Juste

Aug 1, 2010, 1:46:09 PM8/1/10
to acisp2...@googlegroups.com
Also, what version of socialvpn are you using?

Marko Anikin

Aug 1, 2010, 2:36:07 PM8/1/10
to acis.p2p.users
Thank you. I am using ver. 0.4.1 on XP-32 sp3 and Win7-64, with
Firefox. How do i find out on which xmpp server it is?

Can't say what the domain name is because it's not mine - i am temping
for them, early testing this for possible future use, when it's more
ironed out...

What other things should i check, which are involved in the initial
login process?

Pierre St Juste

Aug 1, 2010, 2:45:41 PM8/1/10
to acisp2...@googlegroups.com
Have you tried using an external client like Pidgin to login to
GoogleChat?

The XMPP login name requires that you always include @gmail.com at the
end of the user name for it to work.

XMPP library does an SRV lookup on gmail.com for the XMPP service which
returns talk.google.com as the XMPP server.

As a result, if you do jan...@janedomain.com as you XMPP login to
GoogleChat it will not work, try jan...@janedomain.com@gmail.com.

Hopefully, Jabber.Net library can properly parse it as a valid JID for
login.

Marko Anikin

Aug 1, 2010, 3:50:41 PM8/1/10
to acis.p2p.users

Thank you. I tried it with Pidgin. It comes out with the id in the
format you suggested, and says it's an invalid xmpp id...

I looked at the data stream of GoogleTalk, and it's not going to the
same IP. My personal account - the one above - seems to go to
74.125.47.125.

The business account goes to 74.125.65.125.

So, it's not a SocialVPN issue. I have to go to Google, i guess, to
figure it out. Thank you for your help.

On Aug 1, 2:45 pm, Pierre St Juste <pton...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Have you tried using an external client like Pidgin to login to
> GoogleChat?
>
> The XMPP login name requires that you always include @gmail.com at the
> end of the user name for it to work.
>
> XMPP library does an SRV lookup on gmail.com for the XMPP service which
> returns talk.google.com as the XMPP server.
>
> As a result, if you do jane...@janedomain.com as you XMPP login to
> GoogleChat it will not work, try jane...@janedomain.com@gmail.com.

Marko Anikin

Aug 1, 2010, 4:19:37 PM8/1/10
to acis.p2p.users
Update: i went to Google, and found these instructions for Pidgin:

http://www.google.com/support/a/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=49147

Surprisingly, they didn't even want the @ symbol or gmail anywhere, in
cases like this.

It still wouldn't work, until i specified on the Advanced tab the
server IP that i saw in the data stream : 74.125.65.125.

Then Pidgin connected, and my coworkers came up and everything.

So, i guess, Social VPN might consider a server input somewhere, for
weird cases like this one. lol

Can i put it in social.config manually somehow?

On Aug 1, 2:45 pm, Pierre St Juste <pton...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Have you tried using an external client like Pidgin to login to
> GoogleChat?
>
> The XMPP login name requires that you always include @gmail.com at the
> end of the user name for it to work.
>
> XMPP library does an SRV lookup on gmail.com for the XMPP service which
> returns talk.google.com as the XMPP server.
>
> As a result, if you do jane...@janedomain.com as you XMPP login to
> GoogleChat it will not work, try jane...@janedomain.com@gmail.com.

Pierre St Juste

Aug 1, 2010, 8:59:14 PM8/1/10
to acisp2...@googlegroups.com
Try adding the following to the social.config file

<JabberHost>talk.google.com</JabberHost>

The line above is case sensitive. I cannot guarantee that it will work
because I never got a chance to properly test it. Please let me know if
you are successful.

Marko Anikin

Aug 1, 2010, 9:40:52 PM8/1/10
to acis.p2p.users

Thanks, man. The FQDN didn't work. So, i put in the host IP that the
sniffer told me before.

Then Social logged in!!!!

It's probably some kind of a DNS issue. I'll have to look at their
records...

Good job! Appreciate your help!

While i am here: what's the procedure you guys envision for sending
others your certificate to be added as a friend? Would we just GPG it
to them?

Pierre St Juste

Aug 1, 2010, 10:03:39 PM8/1/10
to acisp2...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for telling me about the IP address trick.

We make the assumption that the certificate exchange is done through a
secure out-of-band channel independent of socialvpn. For example,
PGP-signed email could be one method. We are currently in making that
process easier and more intuitive for the next release.

Marko Anikin

Aug 1, 2010, 10:50:25 PM8/1/10
to acis.p2p.users
Cool. I hope you will tie into that Webfinger from the OStatus thing,
so that we can publish our public GPG keys, and OpenID's in a place
where the Facebook masses can easily get them...

Marko Anikin

Aug 2, 2010, 10:29:06 AM8/2/10
to acis.p2p.users

Why did you guys decide not to use the HKP/OpenPGP servers, and use
the stored public keys for that?

Things like Gpg4Win/Kleopatra easily download those and install them
for use. There is already a large database of users there...

Until this OStatus/Webfinger thing gets sorted out, seems like the
easiest thing to implement because it's an already existing, long-
established PKI repository...

P. Oscar Boykin

Aug 2, 2010, 10:42:13 AM8/2/10
to acisp2...@googlegroups.com
We didn't decide that, we were waiting for you to help us!

Seriously, there is often a tension between making a feature-filling
software and doing research that is interesting.

We've talked abou PGP keyservers in the past, and we certainly haven't
ruled it out, we just haven't implemented it.

There can still be an issue of identifying trusted keys if you don't
have a path of trust to the key you get from the server, so you'll
still need to exchange fingerprints (but in reality, I guess few
bother to be so careful).

Glad this is useful to you. Keep the comments coming and code
contributions would be more than welcome!

Best,

> --

P. Oscar Boykin                            http://boykin.acis.ufl.edu
Assistant Professor, Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering
University of Florida

Marko Anikin

Aug 2, 2010, 1:26:18 PM8/2/10
to acis.p2p.users
Hi Professor Boykin,

The reason i asked why it wasn't your first choice was because of the
way OpenID was so bastardized and now almost completely killed in its
real life implementation by the leaders of the IT world – from Google,
to MS, to Facebook...

Based on that, i predict that OStatus/Webfinger is at least 5-10 years
from usable implementation, pending greedy, selfish bickering and turf-
fighting among the above-mentioned and their deep-pocket entourage...
lol

(One of the really frustrating things about the IT world, is that “it”
invents really cool infrastructure, such as the hkp. However, instead
of improving it (as in the key server trust you mentioned) and
promoting it to the mainstream, “it” begins to reinvent the wheel
again, and run off with newer flashier ideas, as that flashy, existing
infrastructure of just yesterday fades unused into obscurity... lol)

As for me, i am experiencing the same tension you mentioned – between
doing interesting stuff and studying what is my main interest. I am
trying to completely check out of IT, because the code i am most
interested in is somewhat more complex. If you look in any mirror, you
will see a FANTASTIC machine implemented in that code... :^)

My formal education is in Biology! As you might imagine, studying
medicine and writing software are not something one can do
concurrently. I am just moonlighting in IT on basis of my past, to
keep from starving as i apply to medical schools.

So, wish i could help, but it will have to wait about 10 years.
Hopefully, Ostatus will actually materialize by then, but considering
history, i am not optimistic... lol

Respect and gratitude to you and your crew on this beautiful project!
It's definitely a great idea!