DLNA /UPNP with SocialVPN

Giorgos Logiotatidis

Jun 7, 2010, 5:36:11 PM6/7/10
to acis.p2p.users
Hello everyone,
I just discovered socialvpn and I find it a wonderful solution to
share music with my friends. I installed it (version 0.4.1)
successfully on two ubuntu linux machines and I can ssh, chat using
bonjour, etc. Everything seems to work as promised.

I can share music using the DAAP protocol [1] which is probably what
iTunes is using, since it's an Apple invention and it's also working
fine. There is another protocol called DLNA/UPNP [2] which is also for
sharing media (not only music) which is drawing much attention lately,
since many home entertainment devices support it natively. I can't get
this protocol to properly work through socialvpn though. Does anybody
have experience on this issue?

I tried using latest ubuntu, with both rygel [3] (based on gupnp [4])
and coherence [5](based on libupnp [6])

Thanks for your time and for socialvpn

Best regards,
Giorgos

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Audio_Access_Protocol
[2] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Upnp
[3] http://live.gnome.org/Rygel
[4] http://www.gupnp.org/
[5] http://coherence.beebits.net/
[6] http://pupnp.sourceforge.net/

Pierre St Juste

Jun 7, 2010, 6:11:09 PM6/7/10
to acisp2...@googlegroups.com
Thank you for trying out SocialVPN and I'm glad it works for you.

SocialVPN does a NAT-like address translation which can cause some issues
with LAN-based protocols. Protocols such as multicastDNS/UPNP usually
contains IP addresses in their payload as a way to advertise their
locations, unfortunately in SocialVPN these IP addresses are invalid
because we created random IP addresses locally and map them to a
static P2P address. Overall, since UPNP is a LAN-based protocol, we
probably have to provide explicit support for it the same way we had to
do for multicastDNS. I guess this could be classified as a bug (or feature)
but thank you for reporting it. I will file it in the issue tracker
and it will be dealt with in a future release of SocialVPN. Thanks again
for reporting this.

Renato Figueiredo

Jun 7, 2010, 6:11:08 PM6/7/10
to acisp2pusers
On Mon, Jun 7, 2010 at 5:36 PM, Giorgos Logiotatidis <sea...@sealabs.net> wrote:
Hello everyone,
I just discovered socialvpn and I find it a wonderful solution to
share music with my friends. I installed it (version 0.4.1)
successfully on two ubuntu linux machines and I can ssh, chat using
bonjour, etc. Everything seems to work as promised.

Glad to hear, thanks for the kind words - hopefully your friends will like it and share with their friends as well.

I can share music using the DAAP protocol [1] which is probably what
iTunes is using, since it's an Apple invention and it's also working
fine. There is another protocol called DLNA/UPNP [2] which is also for
sharing media (not only music) which is drawing much attention lately,
since many home entertainment devices support it natively. I can't get
this protocol to properly work through socialvpn though. Does anybody
have experience on this issue?

Because socialvpn implements dynamic IP address translation (to sidestep IPv4 address limitations and avoid conflicts), some protocols that are not address-translation-friendly require special handling. We've implemented support for mDNS which is perhaps what's used by DAAP, but not UPNP.

We're interested in it, but it's one of these features we haven't had the cycles to implement so far. It'd be great if someone would pick up this as a development task, hopefully it can reuse some of the code that was developed to handle mDNS.

Regards,
--rf

I tried using latest ubuntu, with both rygel [3] (based on gupnp [4])
and coherence [5](based on libupnp [6])

Thanks for your time and for socialvpn

Best regards,
Giorgos

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Audio_Access_Protocol
[2] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Upnp
[3] http://live.gnome.org/Rygel
[4] http://www.gupnp.org/
[5] http://coherence.beebits.net/
[6] http://pupnp.sourceforge.net/

Dr. Renato J. Figueiredo
Associate Professor
ACIS Lab - ECE - University of Florida
UF Site Director, Center for Autonomic Computing
http://byron.acis.ufl.edu
ph: 352-392-6430

Giorgos Logiotatidis

Jun 8, 2010, 10:08:31 AM6/8/10
to acis.p2p.users
Pierre, Renato thank you both for the clarifying answers. I understand
that is currently impossible have UPNP working on SocialVPN because of
the special handling it requires.

I hope support will come soon

Best regards,
Giorgos

David Isaac Wolinsky

Jun 27, 2010, 5:03:17 PM6/27/10
to acisp2...@googlegroups.com
Giorgos,

We have someone looking into the UPNP problem now. Would you tell us,
which applications you used to test, so we can determine if this is
feasible, especially in your case.

Regards,
David