Current: Collecting Digital Art debate

1 view

steph_fletcher

May 18, 2011, 11:29:49 AM5/18/11
to acedigitaluncut
An event for artists, curators, academics and sector professionals,
the 'Current' debate will not only discuss the exhibition and
acquisition process of digital artworks, but offers a chance to
discuss the future of the artform and how we can strengthen the
perception of digital and new media art within the wider visual arts
sector.

We hope you would like to join us for this event, and would be most
grateful if you could circulate this information to your contacts.

best,
Steph Fletcher
Project Co-ordinator
folly

------------------
Current: An Experiment in Collecting Digital Art - the Debate.

The 'Current' Experiment involves an exhibition, acquisition and
debate, acting as a practical case study for the collection of digital
art into museums and galleries.

Having selected an artwork by Thomson & Craighead for acquisition, we
will be hosting an event to discuss the issues and challenges that
arise from the project on: 24th May 2011, at University of Central
Lancashire, Preston.

Through the debate we aim to challenge the current climate of
collecting new media, and the fact that very few museums are
collecting and exhibiting artists that work with this art form.

The half day morning event will discuss the background, short-listing
and acquisitions processes, and the realisation and installation of
the exhibition - along with our findings from the experiment.
The optional afternoon session is aimed mainly at sector
professionals; to debate the role of digital art with in the wider
visual arts sector, and the roles both the museum and education sector
can play in this.

This debate will be developed with experts from CRUMB (Curatorial
Resource for Upstart Media Bliss – University of Sunderland); and
chaired by Sarah Cook - Co-editor of Crumb and Research Fellow at the
University.

Tickets are £10 (including breakfast, lunch and refreshments) with a
limited number of free places for UCLan students.

Those interested in purchasing a ticket for this event should contact
Project Co-ordinator Steph Fletcher in the first instance:
steph.f...@folly.co.uk.

For more information, visit: http://www.current-experiment.org.uk/debate