share working in the arts

1 view

Charlotte Frost

Sep 16, 2011, 10:23:20 AM9/16/11
to Charlotte Frost

What are the essential digital tools and techniques of working openly in the arts? How do sharing, openness and networked collaborative arts activity have social, political and economic impact? How can they help sustain individual artistic practice? Do they offer to regenerate institutional activity? What are the ethics and codes of conduct?

On Monday 19th at 9.00am-10.30am (that’s 7.00am-9.30am in the UK) I’m hosting the Share Workers panel at ISEA2011 in Istanbul on behalf of a-n, the Artists Information Company (http://isea2011.sabanciuniv.edu/panel/share-workers-techniques-and-meanings-sustainable-digital-networking-open-discussion)

The panel brings together a set of experts in the practical and theoretical use of digital networks and infrastructures for sharing in the arts. (Ruth Catlow: Furtherfield, http://www.furtherfield.org/; Dougald Hine: The University Project, http://www.theuniversityproject.org.uk/; Jack Hutchinson: AIR, http://www.a-n.co.uk; Bridget McKenzie: Flow Associates, http://www.flowassociates.com/; Marcus Romer: Pilot Theatre, http://www.pilot-theatre.com/)

Working across a range of areas from visual art to music, performance and beyond, these panellists are united by their use of collaborative digital tools – driven by their propensity for positive social change. From consolidating connections between artists and arts policy-makers to rewiring our educational and economic circuitry, this panel has collectively developed a wealth of skills for reaching out to others through technology.

In the spirit of sharing and openness, the panel will be more of an open forum for people to come and share their ideas and experiences and contribute to new working models for the arts...And we’d really like to involve people from other sessions and indeed from beyond the conference walls. So if you can’t be there in person, either email me (char...@digitalcritic.org) with your thoughts, questions or comments, or use the Twitter hashtag #shareisea before, during or after the panel. (twitter questions will be streamed live in the session).

We’ll produce a round-up of the central points of the discussion for the a-n website shortly after the panel and the debate will be kept alive within the a-n community for some time to come.

PS please circulate widely and pass this on to all you think would be interested!

Charlotte

Dr Charlotte Frost

Art & Technology

Post-Doctoral Research Fellow at the Center for 21st Century Studies

Principal Investigator/Editor: Arts Future Book

Founder/Director: PhD2Published

Website: Digital Critic

Twitter: @charlottefrost