AoDL Meetup - ‘ACE: Digital Policies & Programmes’ Monday 4th July

Simon Worthington

Jun 29, 2011, 5:50:54 PM6/29/11
to acedigi...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Mute has been running the Art of Digital London project for some time now
and as a continuation of the project we hold monthly Meetup with arts
orgs from across the London area. The Meetups are as a round table
discussion between peers with about twenty-five attendees discussing a
specific digital topic across different art forms, although this time
we're raising the number to forty or so.

This session is going to be about ACE digital policies and so might be of
interest to the list.

We'll make sure the CODA issues get raised and see what ideas or
grouping can form to help support the cut digital groups.

Please come along if your in the area and if not I'll report back after
the meeting on Monday.

Simon Worthington
Mute Publishing

DETAILS - invite text below

AoDL Meetup - �ACE: Digital Policies & Programmes�

RSVP
http://www.meetup.com/Art-of-Digital-London/events/23372751/

Our June Meetup for AoDL - on �ACE: Digital Policies & Programmes� - will
be held on 4th July 2011 from 6.30pm - 8pm at the Photographers' Gallery
offices, 9 William Road, NW1 3ER

During our July Monthly Meetup we will be hosting a conversation about
the Arts Council�s ongoing digital programmes, in training and funding,
such as 'Building digital capacity for the arts' and 'Digital R&D fund
for arts and culture'. These programmes are for the increased
integration and development of digital technologies within arts and
cultural organisations throughout England and Wales. Since the AoDL
Meetups began, six months ago, the conversation has time and again
steered itself towards the topic of ACE's policies on digital and so it
was felt more than worthy of a full ninety minute discussion slot.

ACE�s most recent investigation into the relationship between arts and
digital practices came about in reaction to the Digital Britain Report
released by the government in 2009, which outlined a �vision� for the
future as a country at the leading edge of global digital economies. The
Digital Opportunities scheme (2008-11), under which AoDL was formed, was
set up with the intention of gaining a better understanding of the impact
that digital technologies were having on the creation,
distribution and consumption of artistic practice. The Digital
Opportunities scheme produced a body of research which culminated in a
series of findings released in 2011.

ACE have since showcased their new programme, �Building digital capacity
for the arts� in partnership with the BBC Academy, to a London audience
on 10th March 2011. The program is geared towards the practical
implementation of the earlier research findings by providing a series of
training seminars for organisations to develop their in-house digital
strategies. The training program is already under way with the first of a
planned six seminars having been staged. If you didn�t get the chance to
go to the event - �Digital platforms: internet protocol television (IPTV)
and apps� - it was recorded and is now available via their new minisite.
http://linkme2.net/pq

The fund 'Digital R&D fund for arts and culture' recently announced an
innovations research fund, which is a collaboration between ACE, NESTA
and AHRC. The current round of funding has a total of �500,000 to
distribute, with a deadline for applications of the 2nd Sept 2011.

This Meetup is intended as a general review of the current environment
and we would encourage anyone who has attended any of these events to
come along and share thoughts and experiences with the rest of the group.

Best

The AoDL Team

Links:

Building digital capacity for the arts
http://linkme2.net/pq

Digital R&D Fund for Arts and Culture
http://linkme2.net/pr

Digital Opportunities - results reports
http://linkme2.net/ps
http://linkme2.net/pt

--
Beyond the stars - @MrChristian99

Mute magazine (new issue) - double negative feeback!
http://metamute.org/en/m301